What's new

NEXTEL, comments, suggestions, tips? (1 Viewer)

todbnla

Screenwriter
Real Name
Todd
Since Katrina has left our area devastated, cellular communications has been our lifelines for most. Cingular is horrid and over loaded during this crisis, after one month their service is spotty at best and getting a call out or in is truly a challenge. Rumor around town is Verizon and Nextel were tops during and since the disaster. I am mainly asking about Nextel due to the direct connect walkie talkie feature since this seems to be the most reliable service here. Please post your feedback on this carrier and their services. In case some don't know, it seems Nextel and Sprint have merged...not sure how that will impact the service, but post your thoughts on both. Also, any tips on what plans seem to be the best value going.

PLMK-Thanks!

ChrisHeflen

Supporting Actor
I know Nextel is doing whatever they can to restore coverage in that area asap. They have put up alot of temporary sites there to help out.
The merge with Sprint will have no effect on service. They basically will function seperately for some time to come.
The newer phones have the Direct TALK feature, which is different than Direct CONNECT. With direct talk, you don't have to be in a coverage area for it to work. It is like a true walkie talkie. But it is limited to about 2 or so miles. Similar to the Motorola "talk abouts".

Keep in mind that Nextel caters to buisnesses mainly, and buisnesses are located in metro areas where they have the best coverage. The direct connect helps them save money using instant communication with fellow employees.
If you aren't talking to a lot of other Nextel users via the D/C feature, you might wanna look at Verizon.
You can go to the nextel or sprint webite (the same) and check the coverage map in that area.

mikeSantos

Grip
I think that Nextel has a great plan. It's the national value for $55 a month I believe. You get 1000 anytime and free nights and weekends. I've been a nextel user for 3 years and before that Cingular. I couldn't be happier with them.

Hugh Jackes

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Hugh Jackes
I have Nextel.

The good: Where there is service, it is good, reliable, few dropouts. The Direct Connect is a handy feature for keepin in comms with your family in a divers setting (shopping, them park, driving in a caravan).

The bad: Nextel is very urban- and freeway-centric. If you take almost any side road outside of a major metropolitan area, you will probably lose coverage in a matter of miles. As an example, last summer, my son and I went on a mission trip in the remote Four Corners area of the Wouthwest US. Excellent coverage when we got off the train in Gallup NM, but 10 miles to the north of Gallup heading to our work site, we lost coverage and were in the dark for a week.

todbnla

Screenwriter
Real Name
Todd
Well my new Nextel phones arrived last night, I have no land line so I could not call prior to using the phones as they told me. We were excited at the thought of having working celluar service, so we powered the first one up and low and behold the transition from Cingular to Nextel was done, my number was "ported" to Nextel with no problem what so ever. :)
As of today, I have used the phone for about 6 hours and after being a cingular user since way back (just after they went online) I have to say, Nextel/Sprint is wonderfull, clear signal, constant signal, GREAT SO FAR!

NEXTEL-DONE ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks