What's new

Next wave of Disney Treasures! (1 Viewer)

Lars Vermundsberget

Supporting Actor
To complete the classic theatrical cartoon shorts, I guess all that remains is a second volume of Pluto, a second volume of Silly Symphonies and a third and a forth of Donald Duck. So if the Treasures are going to last another couple of years or more, there'll have to be some of the more "esoteric" titles. And I don't complain - even though at this point I'll buy them all for the sake of completeness anyway, I've pretty much enjoyed them all so far.

PaulP

Senior HTF Member
Hopefully there will be a second volume of Rarities, 1960s-2000s. I'd love to see some of the newer Disney shorts.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I too was thinking about "the True-Life Adventures". how here these presented? I ask, as on "The Mickey Mouse Club" Tresure, at the end of the episodes is a promo for the then upcoming "The African Lion" feature length film. HOw would you fit the films into a treasure? Was there both features and short subjects, with the short subjects getting the Treasure treatment?

I'd rather a "Vault Disney" boxset of the complete True-Life Adventures, with all the features and shorts, and a documentary on the film makers who made them (does on exist?)

Chris S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris S

I somewhat expect that "Song of the South" will be released under the Disney Treasures line. Just a gut feeling.

Kajs

Second Unit
Real Name
Kurt
I'm getting tired of waiting for yearly "Treasures"...I wouldn't have minded a featureless release of the Swamp Fox episodes or any other Disney TV shows. Since the Treasures line started TV on DVD has really taken off but Disney has kept most of their TV shows restricted to the annual Treasures line. And since the Disney Channel has taken away all old Disney shows, it makes it all the more frustrating.

PaulP

Senior HTF Member
THE CHRONOLOGICAL DONALD, VOLUME TWO: 1942-1946

Celebrating the career of the one of the most prolific of Walt’s “Fabulous Five” classic characters, this volume features
Donald’s shorts from 1942 to 1946. These short subjects, brilliantly animated, cover the WWII years and includes the
Academy Award®-winning short “Der Fuehrer’s Face” (Best Short Subject (Cartoon) 1943).

Plus, there are bonus materials on Donald Duck including a chat with the current voice of Donald; a complete episode of
the vintage Disneyland TV show -- “A Day In The Life of Donald Duck;” “The Art and Animation of Carl Barks” a new
featurette about Disney’s legendary Donald Duck artist; “The Volunteer Worker,” a rarely-seen vintage WWII short
starring Donald; a timeline of the Walt Disney Studios during the World War II years 1941-1945, and Donald-themed
still frame art galleries. Introductions by Leonard Maltin. (NOTE: ALL the volumes contain intros by Leonard Maltin)

The Chronological Donald Volume One was released on May 18, 2004.

CONTENTS

The Village Smithy
Donald's Snow Fight
Donald Gets Drafted
Donald's Garden
Donald's Gold Mine
The Vanishing Private
Sky Trooper
Der Fuehrer’s Face
Donald's Tire Trouble
The Flying Jalopy
Fall Out, Fall In
The Old Army Game
Home Defense
Trombone Trouble
Donald Duck and the Gorilla
Commando Duck
The Plastics Inventor
Donald’s Off Day
Clock Watcher
The Eyes Have It
Donald’s Crime
No Sail
Cured Duck
Old Sequoia
Donald’s Double Trouble
Wet Paint
Dumb Bell of the Yukon
Lighthouse Keeping
Frank Duck Brings ’em Back Alive
Contrary Condor

DISNEY RARITIES, CELEBRATED SHORTS: 1920s-1960s

This fascinating volume features some of Walt’s most unique animated triumphs. Included are several of Walt’s “The
Alice Comedies,” a pioneering series of early short films that combined live-action and animation. These wonderful,
lesser-known unique films pre-date much of the work that would make him world-famous. “Alice’s Wonderland” is one
of Walt’s very first films.

Fans will enjoy the unique animation of “Toot, Whistle, Plunk and Boom,” which won an Academy Award® (Best Short
Subject (Cartoon) 1953) and was the first cartoon produced in Cinemascope. This short film established a completely
new animation style for the Studio. DISNEY RARITIES, CELEBRATED SHORTS 1920s-1960s showcases a large
collection of Walt’s outstanding animated shorts that fans may not be aware of.

Bonus features include: “Alice’s Cartoon World” in which Leonard Maltin discusses Disney’s historic “Alice” shorts
with Virginia Davis who played the original Alice when she was 4-years old; “From Kansas City to Hollywood” – a
timeline of Walt’s silent era; “A Feather In His Collar” a rarely seen short supporting the Community Chest; audio
commentary for “A Symposium On Popular Songs” by composer Richard Sherman, and still frame galleries.

CONTENTS (In Chronological Order)

Alice's Wonderland
Alice Gets in Dutch
Alice's Wild West Show
Alice in the Jungle
Alice's Egg Plant
Alice's Mysterious Mystery
Alice the Whaler
Ferdinand the Bull
Chicken Little
The Pelican and the Snipe
The Truth about Mother Goose
Paul Bunyan
Noah's Ark
Goliath II
The Saga of Windwagon Smith
A Symposium on Popular Songs
Ben and Me
Football, Now and Then
Toot, Whistle, Plunk & Boom
Pigs Is Pigs
Social Lion
A Cowboy Needs a Horse
Hooked Bear
In the Bag
Jack and Old Mac
The Story of Anyburg, U.S.A.
The Brave Engineer
Morris, the Midget Moose
Lambert, the Sheepish Lion
The Little House
Adventures in Music: Melody

LaurenceGarvey

Second Unit
Yikes! I'm glad they're releasing them slowly; I still haven't finished the last Mickey Mouse or Pluto releases, and haven't opened the Donald Duck set.

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
:angry:

I knew the 'Rairities' tin would be a problem when the mention of Alice shorts first surfaced...

Where is "Susie The Little Blue Coupe" and "Casey Bats Again"?

Where are the Figaro shorts; "Figaro And Cleo", "Bath Day" & "Figaro And Frankie", and if they're not featured in this set - in what context will they ever be released??

If the two Humphrey The Bear cartoons, "Hooked Bear" and "In The Bag" were prime for this release, why not these other character shorts which would have perfectly fit the release?

Why bother with 7 Alice shorts that don't even remotely follow the pacing or style of the rest of the contents on this set and why bother titling the release "1920s-1960s" if the content will not be presented in chronological order (at least according to the press release it isn't)? This is one of my biggest beefs with the set... Chronological presentation is key!!!

What Disney should have done was issue an entirely seperate Treasures set titled 'Rarities' consisting of ONLY true rarities such as their silent Alice and Oswald cartoons and material that is really rare and hasn't been seen in decades rather than these specials and one-shots which I look forward to but are not truly rare at all.

They should've been released seperately and in their entirety in chronological sequence in a 'Specials' set.

This was and is one of my most anticipated Treasures releases as these are some of my favorite Disney shorts, but the fact that some titles are missing and the odd contrast of silent b&w films and stylized 50's animation is offsetting. They deserve seperate releases and seperate focus. I also find it odd that the actual cover of this ;Rarities' set is of Alice when there are only 8 cartoons included in the package...

On to Donald Duck...

This BETTER be a mistake in the press release but according to the details that have been released, TWO ENTIRE CARTOONS ARE MISSING!!!

"Bellboy Donald" (1942) and "Duck Pimples" (1945) - Two of the best represented shorts in this era of his career!!

As well, the cartoon "Contrary Condor" seems to be misplaced and in the wrong order according to how it's listed!

Let's hope that some follow-up details are posted soon...

PaulP

Senior HTF Member

The Treasures' menus offer an alphabetical and chronological viewing order starting with Wave Two (I believe the first wave didn't have this option, but I could be wrong).

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
According to the press release, the order of the titles they listed are all mixed up and presented as a hodgepodge of various cartoons. The Donald shorts are listed in chronological order (save for one misplaced film and TWO MISSING CARTOONS!) but the Rairities set is listed randomly which leads me to believe that Disney is either extremely sloppy with the press releases or is not issuing this collection in chronological order but instead taking the route they did with their Silly Symphonies set which was not the way it should have been handeled... I hope I'm wrong. I hope somebody just screwed up these press releases. I hope the two missing Donald cartoons will be present. I hope the two missing specials shorts will be included. I hope they screwed up the Muppet movies press release as well and all the films will be presented oar... I'm not that optimistic though. I will be dissapointed beyond words if those two DD cartoons from the CHRONOLOGICAL DONALD DUCK are indeed absent however. That wpuld not be acceptable. Not on a Treasures release. Here's hoping for more details soon...

PaulP

Senior HTF Member
There seems to be just enough shorts left over for a Chronological Donald, Volume Three: 1947-1965, next December. We also might finally see the second and final volume of Silly Symphonies. There could be a second Rarities volume, or two more live action sets.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
If the Donald V2 set has these two ommissions and the one duplication (The Volunteer Worker is on V1) I have to simply ask: What the hell? Is it that hard to get all the films correct chronologically in a chronological set?

However, I've seen someone point out that the list has only 30 shorts listed when the previous limited specs for the set mentioned 32. This is hopefully the case and only an oversight in the Press Release.

Rarities looks great, but why include Chicken Little? Plus, no Susie the Little Blue Coupe or Casey Bats Again? Looks like a great set, but some strange decisions there.

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
I'll be getting rarities, but man, it certainly could have been better. A number of those I already have as extras on different Disney dvds, and I really have no interest in Alice, and I was hoping for the Jiminy Cricket shorts (I'm no fool, no siree). Oh well.

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
Could someone please point me in the direction of where it was previously indicated that The Chronological Donald Duck V2 would feature 32 shorts? I just want clarification as I can't imagine Leonard Maltin releasing a Treasures set titled "The Chronological Donald Duck" and forgetting two of his starring films...

As for the Rarities set, it's unforgiveable that "Susie The Little Blue Coupe" and "Casey Bats Again" were overlooked...

David Williams

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Williams

Both Toot, Whistle, Plunk and Boom and Melody from the Rarities set are also part of the extras for Fantasia|2000.

So if you have that DVD, you're covered. If not, it's a cheaper buy if you can still find a copy (as you may have guessed, it's out of print).

Chris S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris S
For me Lambert, the Sheepish Lion is reason enough to buy the Rarities set, eventhough it does seem to be a random set of shorts for a Treasures release. Granted its not called the "Chronological Rarities" but an ordering would have been nice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks