What's new

Next wave of Disney Treasures! (1 Viewer)

pitchman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
That's a good question, Jon. As much as I enjoy watching vintage Mickey Mouse Club episodes, I would rather that they collect all three serials into one "complete" collection instead of the way that they chose to release this. If it takes more than 2 discs (which is likely) then just skip the "Treasures" treatment and release it as a traditional TV-on-DVD box set. Personally, I would much prefer that.

pitchman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
I can't say much about Swamp Fox, Marco, but Spin and Marty was easily the most popular serial segment on the old Mickey Mouse Club, spawning TWO sequels (with a third scheduled for production, but never begun as the series wound down in 1957.) Spin and Marty was a genuine phenomenon in its day, and like Annette, fans of the show could not get enough of it. The first serial was penned by Adventures of Superman stalwart, Jackson Gillis, and is a simple story of a group of boys at a dude ranch (the Triple R) over a summer vacation, and more specifically, the friendship that eventually forms between Spin and Marty.

I like Spin and Marty a lot, but I like The Hardy Boys even more. As always, YMMV.

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
Thanks Gary, is it especially schmaltzy and corny like the Mickey Mouse Club series or does it fall into a seperate entity of it's own? Is it your basic 50's TV drama? I was never much of a Funicello fan, she always seemed to have chosen the same type of kitschy roles, but I am a pretty big nostalgiac fan of 50's television serials and if the writers from The Adventures Of Superman had a hand in this, I might pick it up afterall. I guess I should just bite the bullet on all 4 releases since I've collected every Treasure issued to date. I'm sure I'll enjoy Walt's presence and whatever Disney supplementals are included at the very least...

pitchman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
Marco, here is a link to a brief history of the show by Disney archivist, David R. Smith. This will give you a pretty good idea of what the serials are all about...

GarySchrock

Second Unit
I remember watching swamp fox episodes as a kid, and absolutely loved it. No idea how well it'll stand up to current day, but I know I'm definitely picking it up. Heck, the theme song still sometimes gets stuck in my head :). It's been a long time since I've seen it, but as I recall it kinda has a robin hood type feel to it, with the hero always getting away thumbing his nose at the brits. (It's a series very loosely based on the real-life Frances Marion from the american revolution.)

Jeff Swearingen

Second Unit
Real Name
Jeff
The Swamp Fox is very exciting news - I used to watch this on Wonderful World of Disney syndicated shows all the time growing up.

Yet again I will be picking up all the tins, but would love to see the rest of the silly symphonies, Dr. Syn, True Life Adventures, People and Places, and an Educational set would be interesting (Jiminy Cricket's animated shorts, Donald in Mathemagic Land...)

Will the rarities disc include things like Ben and Me, Who Killed Cock Robin?, It's Tough to be a Bird, The Small One, Ferdinand the Bull, Lambert the Sheepish Lion, Susie the Blue Coupe, Perri, etc.???

Brenton

Screenwriter
Who Killed Cock Robin was on the Silly Symphonies set.

I believe that Ferdinand the Bull and Lambert the Sheepish Lion were part of one of the "anthology features" made during WWII, which are available on DVD.

Lars Vermundsberget

Supporting Actor
Cock Robin is a Silly Symphony, so it's right place is on the Silly Symphonies set.

Brenton: Ferdinand was made in the late 30s and Lambert in the early 50s, so you could be mixing them up with other titles (from The Reluctant Dragon, perhaps).

I've never heard anyone mention Perri - and I also have doubts about The Small One, but I guess it could be included.

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
Neither Lambert nor Ferdinand were part of any anthology features. They are considered "specials" and will almost surely be included in the upcoming set.

Brenton

Screenwriter
My bad. I suppose that my memories of watching films like Melody Time and Make Mine Music on VHS when I was little have become fuddled with my memories of watching Ferdinand on VHS when I was little.

Brenton

Screenwriter
UltimateDisney.com has the cover art for the next wave of Disney Treasures. I've got my eye on the new Donald tin, and (pending a full listing of contents) Disney Rarities too.

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
The Spin and Marty tin art must be hands down the most gay cover that Disney has ever released.

Brenton

Screenwriter
I just noticed that the Donald Duck cover has the years 1942-1946. Given the number of shorts produced between those years, and the number of shorts on Donald Volume 1, I have a horrible feeling that this set will severely overlap the On The Front Lines set. Without trying to be a cynic, I have to point out that this looks like an excuse to sell us four volumes of Donald instead of three.

PaulP

Senior HTF Member

No, that's actually so people will have every Donald Duck short in the Chronological Donald Duck volumes.

David Williams

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Williams

I disagree. I could give a flyin' flip over OTFL set, so it's nice that Disney has packaged all the Donald Shorts together. You can't really have a complete set without some overlap (which I'm sure is really going to come into play when they get around to releasing a complete Chip & Dale set). I'd rather have a complete 4 volume set of Donald shorts than have an incomplete 3 volume set and have to purchase another set with stuff that doesn't interest me on it.

I'm sure there are other shorts on the OTFL set that aren't included in other sets that justify that set's existence, right?

Charlie O.

Supporting Actor
It seems with the Goofy, Pluto and Donald sets that just about everything from disc 1 of The Front Lines has can be found on another Treasure.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway

Which is fine, since they are both WW2 films AND character films. Is this really that big of deal?

The OTFL set still has these uinque, not likely to be included on any other set films:

- Education for Death
- Reason and Emotion
- Thrifty Pig, The
- Seven Wise Dwarfs
- All Together
- Food Will Win the War
- Out of the Frying Pan Into the Firing Line
- Grain That Built a Hemisphere, The
- Defense Against Invasion
- Cleanliness Brings Health
- What is Disease?
- Planning for Good Eating
- Chicken Little
- Winged Scourge, The
- Four Methods of Flush Riveting
- Stop That Tank
- Training Film Montage
- Victory Through Air Power

I mean, c'mon, Victory Through Air Power alone nearly justifies the entire set.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation233
Recent bookmarks