Next upgrade

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Paul Mor, Oct 11, 2005.

1. Paul Mor

Paul Mor Stunt Coordinator

Not sure when this upgrade will happen, but wanted input so I could be keeping my eyes open for good deals. This thread may not belong here either, but I wasn't sure where to put it. Here is my current setup that I've been slowly building by moving things to the rear channels as I upgraded speakers.

Receiver: H/K AVR 7300
    Fronts: Polk LSi 7
    Center: Polk LSiC
    Surround: Polk R50
    Surround Back: Bose 301
    Sub: Velodyne CHT-120

Not sure if my best bet was to get a seperate amp for the fronts, a new sub, or better surrounds.

Room is not dedicated HT. Size is 20x16x9 open to kitchen/breakfast nook.

I'd like to keep the next upgrade around $500...unless I need to save for a better SVS than the PB10.

Thanks in advance

2. Paul Mor

Anyone?

I bought almost everything I have now before I found this forum and know I made mistakes. I really want to get all future upgrades correct.

3. MikeyWeitz

MikeyWeitz Supporting Actor

Sub, then matching surround backs (altho I would personaly upgrade the mains and center, but that is anohter story).

4. Victor Ferguson

Victor Ferguson Stunt Coordinator

Matching surrounds would be next on my list if I were you.

5. Jacob C

Jacob C Second Unit

Sub or matching surrounds. Unless you don't like your mains. Then we have all kinds of things to think about.

6. MikeNg

MikeNg Second Unit

Si. What everyone else said.

Maybe liquidate the surround backs and the sub, then apply the funds to your $500 pot and see what you can afford. PB10 would be great. AV123 is also selling their Birdseye Maple UFW-10 for $499 (I think that's $100 off). I have that sub in addition to an SVS. Very nice music player. Has a built in PEQ also.

I've not had any problems driving the mains on my 7300. It's always been clean at all listening levels. Don't know how much bang you'd realize from an amp upgrade.

Mike

7. Paul Mor

Surrounds seem to be the majority opinion. Thanks for the replies. I wasn't sure how high up the SVS line I would have to get for it to be a major improvement. Also wasn't sure if an amp would be a major improvement. I know the 7300 has lots of power, but I've heard that the 7's need power since they are 4 ohm. I'm pretty happy with my front soundstage and really want my next upgrade to be significant...even if I have to wait to put more money into it. I like the idea of getting rid of the surround back and maybe putting that money into a better sub. Thanks again for helping a novice out. I'm actually on the forum all the time, but I'm mainly getting educated instead of giving advice.