What's new

Next Tuesday 9/10 Will Tell A Lot About CBS (1 Viewer)

Frank Soyke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
As I've said before, I am a little concerned about CBS's future with regard to classic DVD releases. They had run a semi regular rotation of releases for several years but have completely done an about face recently. Currently their release schedule have been published through November and only one classic release (Gentle Ben) is on the schedule. Next Tuesday (or around that day), their releases for December should be announced. These would be their big holiday releases and my gut feeling is that if we don't see any classic stuff on their schedule for the biggest shopping month of the year, it is probably not a good sign for the future

Frank Soyke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
Beverly Hillbillies season 4 and Petticoat Junction Season 3 have been remastered

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
So theres a good chance these could be announced as well as another round of Gunsmoke and Bonanza. If that happens its not too bad of a classic TV run in my book.

Frank Soyke said:
Beverly Hillbillies season 4 and Petticoat Junction Season 3 have been remastered

Frank Soyke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
Randy Korstick said:
So theres a good chance these could be announced as well as another round of Gunsmoke and Bonanza. If that happens its not too bad of a classic TV run in my book.
I really hope you are right.I'd feel a lot better to hear that they are resuming some of this stuff. The remastering stuff still makes me feel a little cautious regarding whether it really mean anything or not due to what they did with the Love Boat.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
I think there's a good chance we'll see/hear about BH S4 and PJ S3 sometime in the near future. And I'm still relatively confident (although not positive) that CBS will continue to release Rawhide, Gunsmoke and Bonanza. But as we've learned many times in the past, nothing is a sure thing until it's actually released. CBS has changed their mind on many occasions so I'm never counting my chickens before they hatch any more. Had the company followed through on early plans in years past, we'd have more Bilko, One Step Beyond, Barnaby Jones, the aforementioned BH & PJ, etc.

Gary "fingers crossed" O.

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Gary OS said:
I think there's a good chance we'll see/hear about BH S4 and PJ S3 sometime in the near future. And I'm still relatively confident (although not positive) that CBS will continue to release Rawhide, Gunsmoke and Bonanza. But as we've learned many times in the past, nothing is a sure thing until it's actually released. CBS has changed their mind on many occasions so I'm never counting my chickens before they hatch any more. Had the company followed through on early plans in years past, we'd have more Bilko, One Step Beyond, Barnaby Jones, the aforementioned BH & PJ, etc.

Gary "fingers crossed" O.
CBS has let shows lay dormant for long stretches before.

I know I was never expecting the final two seasons of Taxi, and even Cheers was iffy for a good long while.

Hopefully, as shows like Perry Mason are completed, other stalled shows are given the chance shows like Taxi and Cheers were to be completed.

/and there's always VEI.
//Unfortunately, though, I think season 5 and above of Happy Days won't be scheduled for release until the 12th of Never. Too bad the show didn't have a cult following in the UK, where music licensing is so much more civilized.

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
I did some checking and I have a total of 49 unedited color episodes of the Hillbillies on VHS. Somewhere down the line I've lost a couple. It would be 50 but the Columbia House episode of "The Grunion Invasion" clocks in at 22 minutes leading me to figure it's either edited or time compressed. Almost 50 out of 168 isn't the worst thing in the world.

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
CBS seems to have beaten you to the punch and crushed the entire rationale of this thread.

Frank Soyke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
JoeDoakes said:
CBS seems to have beaten you to the punch and crushed the entire rationale of this thread.
I am very happy to be wrong on this one. The good news outweighs the blow to my ego. LOL

Ron1973

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Frank Soyke said:
I am very happy to be wrong on this one. The good news outweighs the blow to my ego. LOL
You have reached your quota of positive votes for the day

Consider this a like.....lol

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Colored me surprised by the Sam's Club/Walmart exclusive too. Not that I'm complaining, mind you. :)

Gary "genuinely shocked by the distribution" O.

Ron1973

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
The only thing that worries me is that they are setting the two shows up for failure. I'm not normally a conspiracy theorist and I hate to rain on the parade. Without a "general" release how will sales be? Look, I'm excited here, I really am. I just hope this doesn't generate low sales figures being what appears a Walmart exclusive, thereby giving them an excuse to not go further and stall out the series.

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Ron1973 said:
The only thing that worries me is that they are setting the two shows up for failure. I'm not normally a conspiracy theorist and I hate to rain on the parade. Without a "general" release how will sales be? Look, I'm excited here, I really am. I just hope this doesn't generate low sales figures being what appears a Walmart exclusive, thereby giving them an excuse to not go further and stall out the series.
Not necessarily.

Remember, CDs like AC/DC's Black Ice and Kiss's Sonic Boom were Walmart exclusive, and shipped enough copies to the stores to be numbers 1 and 2 on the charts (respectively)... and though I like both groups, Kiss and AC/DC are not groups that have ever really been at the top of the music charts. But, Walmart buys lots of copies of stuff, and promotes it hard, so old guys like Kiss and AC/DC get top selling albums.

So, if it's a Walmart exclusive deal, I'm betting it will turn out to be profitable enough to keep the series going, and probably help CBS/P dump their backstock of Hillbillies and Petticoat Junction seasons that didn't sell in the first place.

Guy Foulard

Second Unit
Real Name
Jason
Ron1973 said:
I have a feeling they've calculated the odds, and figured they'd so best with these titles at a low price point + heavy distribution to consumers who might be less likely to seek these out online...I'd be happy if they would take this approach with other Middle-America-friendly titles like Barnaby Jones and (maybe) Cannon.

Ron1973

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
The Obsolete Man said:
Not necessarily.

Remember, CDs like AC/DC's Black Ice and Kiss's Sonic Boom were Walmart exclusive, and shipped enough copies to the stores to be numbers 1 and 2 on the charts (respectively)... and though I like both groups, Kiss and AC/DC are not groups that have ever really been at the top of the music charts. But, Walmart buys lots of copies of stuff, and promotes it hard, so old guys like Kiss and AC/DC get top selling albums.

So, if it's a Walmart exclusive deal, I'm betting it will turn out to be profitable enough to keep the series going, and probably help CBS/P dump their backstock of Hillbillies and Petticoat Junction seasons that didn't sell in the first place.
And you make a valid point. I'm just anxious to get the series completed and don't want anything to go haywire! :lol:

Frank Soyke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
I think they are giving these two shows a "feel it out" approach to see the interest base and sales figures first. That's probably why they have only re-mastered one additional season of each so far until they see how these sell. I'm hoping for some good numbers

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Ron1973 said:
Offhand, I can't think of any outright failures of exclusive titles at places like Walmart, Best Buy, etc ...

The closest one I can think of offhand, would perhaps be the Best Buy exclusive of the Guns'N Roses album "Chinese Democracy" back in 2008. About a year or so later, I saw numerous copies of "Chinese Democracy" at various local discount stores for $2 each. (Some copies even still had the "Best Buy" price tags still attached).

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/chinese-democracy-hits-best-buys-in-new-york-with-a-yawn-20081124

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
Twenty bucks is a good price point for impulse purchases at Walmart. It should sell decently.

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Ethan Riley said:
Twenty bucks is a good price point for impulse purchases at Walmart. It should sell decently.
It's a good price point for hard core fans too. I rarely buy new releases because I figure that I can wait until the price declines. With a price like this, I may as well go ahead and bite.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation482
Recent bookmarks