Next on my list of questions - memory & cpu...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ted Lee, Aug 20, 2002.

1. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

the story so far...
    mb: asus p4b533-e
    case: antec 1080 (i checked it out at fry's. really liked it, plus toms hardware guide liked it enough)
    now i'm gonna get some memory and the cpu, but i've got some questions...remember...i'm a newbie at this! :b
    MEMORY
    i think i need DDR266/PC2100 for the board. is that correct? what happens if i get higher numbers (ddr333) - does that do anything special. afaik, the board's speed must match the memory, but i think ddr333 is too high? just what the heck do all those numbers mean anyway?
    also, what are some good brands to look for? i see corsair and crucial mentioned a lot.
    CPU
    are all intel p4 processors the same? afaik, there's really no difference...essentially a p4 chip is a p4 chip?
    thanks again!
    ted

2. John_Berger

John_Berger Cinematographer

3. Brian Hepler

Brian Hepler Stunt Coordinator

To answer your other question: Mushkin, Kingston and Crucial are all well-respected brands of memory. I use Kingston and Crucial, mostly.

IIRC, the numbers on the memory indicate what speed the memory is certified to operate. DDR333 is guaranteed to support a 333MHz front side bus (FSB). Think of it as weight limits on a bridge. Even though the bridge is rated at 9 tons, it will support your 2 ton car.

If you run your FSB at 266Mhz, you will have no problem with DDR266 memory.

4. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

cool - thanks for the extra info guys. looks like 266 will work for me then.

do any of you know about my other question regarding the processor speed? for some reason, it seems like i need at least a 2.26ghz processor to utilize the boards 533fsb?

thanks again!

5. KyleS

KyleS Screenwriter

Ted,
    Well for the Athlon 2100 that you are looking at you will want to get PC 2100.......
    Oh wait you are looking at the P4 chips right Ted [​IMG]
    Seriously the memory you will want to stick with is the PC2100 266mhz and Crucial, Corsiar, & Samsung are your best bets for quality.
    Chip wise there are 3 choices that will work with that board. You have the P4 1.4-2ghz with 256K L2 cache at 400mhz FSB 478PIN or you have the P4 1.6-2.4ghz chips with 512K L2 cache 400mhz FSB (Front Side Bus)478PIN. Then last you have the newer 533 FSB 2.26, 2.4, & 2.53mhz chips which have 512K L2 Cache 478PIN. And with your board you will want to avoid the only P4 chips that will NOT WORK which are the 423PIN chips that are still around up to 2ghz.
    If you can afford the 2.26-2.53 533 FSB chips those will give you the best performance and speed out of the P4 chips especially when used with that board but you can use the 400mhz FSB chips to save a little money.
    KyleS

6. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

don't do that to me kyle...i'm very sensitive right now! [​IMG]
    that's exactly the info i was looking for. thanks again for your (and everyone else's) help.
    i feel much better tackling this knowing i have everyone's love and support...okay, maybe support...
    [​IMG]

7. John_Berger

8. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

an absolutely valid question john. the only thing i can say is that i'm hoping to max out what i can now to keep it as up-to-date as possible.
    to give you an idea of how often i upgrade - my current computer is a 200mmx. it's probably going on seven or eight years old.
    so, i don't upgrade that often, but when i do i want it to be a good one! hopefully by getting the good stuff now i won't have to worry about it too much later. uh...yeah...that's it... [​IMG]

9. John_Berger

10. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

also agreed john! i do appreciate you providing me with your insight. [​IMG]
    i do realize that there's more to a pc then just the processor. i'm hoping to avoid any 'real-world' bottlenecks but making sure that all my components work well together. that's why i'm buggin' the heck out of all of you guys.
    and i know you can't play the 'catch-up' game in this world, but i really don't care. like i said, my old pc has served me well for many years...i do feel like i got my money's worth out of it. i suspect i'll have the same feelings this time around.
    i suppose i'm also approaching this as a new hobby, so i'm all gusto right now. [​IMG]
    tbh, i KNOW that i won't be utilizing much of what my system can do. heck, i'm not even a real big gamer. to be brutally honest, i feel that my current pc can handle most of my day-to-day tasks.
    but where's the fun in that... [​IMG]
    thx again!

11. John_Berger

12. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

55" widescreen? [​IMG] umm...i'll be over about 7:30pm. what's for dinner? [​IMG]

13. John_Berger