What's new

Next Hanna-Barbera set? (1 Viewer)

Joe:C

Second Unit
On a lighter note, all I really want from the Hanna-Barbara banner is Galter and the Golden Lance. Frickin' loooved that series as a child in the `80s, don't think I got to see all the episodes either. I think they've released an episode or two on some complitaion/sampler discs, but beyond that, nothin'. Its best chance would be the MOD route, I'm guessing
This! I was a big fan of Galtar when I was a kid. Would love to see it as part of the archive.

Glad to see the Gobots are being released. I'd love for the Snorks and the remaing seasons of the Smurfs to be released also.

Bradskey

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Brad Davis
Just got my copy of Valley of the Dinosaurs and noticed something interesting. The discs are dual-layer. May not be anything new, but this is the first I've ever seen this from the archive. They fit the full series of 16 episodes onto 2 discs instead of 4. The Space Kidettes/Young Samson set from just a month earlier was 4 single layer discs like all the other archive H-B series before it. My initial inclination is to be worried, because my experience with dual-layer DVD recordable media has been nothing but bad, but they seem to play fine and have no issues. Maybe they have finally gotten the quality and reliability of the media high enough that they're willing to use it. This will allow larger sets with fewer discs to be released or (gasp) maybe even include some extras occasionally.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I thought Frankenstein Jr & The Impossibles was coming in April? Only a few days left.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
Frankenstein Jr. this week! and with extras. A 1st for an archive release. Now that they are using dual-layer discs I suspect we will see extras become more of the norm.

Joe Tor1

Second Unit
Real Name
Joe Torcivia
I wouldn't get too happy about Archives Extras just yet. Check the package back of "Saturday Morning Cartoons 1960s Volume One":

[COLOR= #ff0000]"Monster Rock: The Adventures of Frankenstein Jr. and The Impossibles -- He's a little bit monster and they're a little bit rock 'n' roll. Find out what happened when the worlds of monsters and 1960s rock bands collided to create a half hour of fun."[/COLOR]

Now, I haven't watched this featurette since I first got the set some years ago, but I'm certain it's the same thing!

Still, even a double-dip on a feature, is better than nothing -- and I will gladly order this set!

derosa

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Grant
With the Mr. T announcement today, I just realized that it's only season 1.
Isn't this the first HB set coming from the archive collection that is not a complete series?

Greg Chenoweth

Supporting Actor
Originally Posted by derosa
Isn't this the first HB set coming from the archive collection that is not a complete series?
I believe you are right. Hopefully this will bode well for other multi-part sets.

Mark Y

Screenwriter
Interesting -- maybe it's the first show they've released through the archive that ran more than one season in the first place.

Of course, Mr. T is Ruby-Spears, not Hanna-Barbera. But I guess for marketing purposes, that's close enough!

JamesSmith

Senior HTF Member
Hmm. TVSHOWSONDVD.COM reported that Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kids, Pac-Man, Saturday Supercade, Inch High Private Eyes and a few others were on the planned list for this year, but more news still haven't appeared for them. Hope they're still in the development stage.

James

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
They have stated they intend to release the entire Hanna-Barbera catalog as well as Ruby Spears and some Filmation titles. At the current rate of 1-2 releases per month it will take 2-3 years to release them all. So as long as we keep buying them everyone's favorites should be coming soon.
Challenge of the Gobots and The Herculoids should be the next two titles realesed late May-Early June time frame.

Originally Posted by JamesSmith

Hmm. TVSHOWSONDVD.COM reported that Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kids, Pac-Man, Saturday Supercade, Inch High Private Eyes and a few others were on the planned list for this year, but more news still haven't appeared for them. Hope they're still in the development stage.

James

derosa

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Grant
With so many unfinished sets, i just hope that WB doesn't start another round of releases on the MOD format,
only to abandon those. It would be unfortunate if we start seeing split seasons and multi-volume sets because
they're trying to stretch out the release schedule to keep the revenue rolling for years to come. It's really
frustrating some of these series are taking so long to complete. It shouldn't take decades to put out some
shows on dvd!

dhammer

Second Unit
Real Name
David
My experience makes me believe two things: First, the people who are often involved in putting out shows on dvd are not fans of those particular shows. Second, the studios could care less what the fans think or feel. There only concern for this is as it pertains to profits. It doesn't bother them if they don't finish a series. I saw this many times but especially concerning the Batman tv series.

Nebiroth

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Richard Gregory
I wish they'd release the eight stories from The Scooby Doo Show. I don;t understand why they skipped them over and went straight to the episodes that went in the Dynomutt Hour.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
Not sure how this applies. This thread is about Hanna-Barbera titles on Mod/DVD. "The Jetsons" and "Wait till your father gets home" are the only two titles I'm aware of that are unfinished other than scooby doo episodes here and there.. The vast majority of H-B shows are somewhere between 13-20 episodes total so they will most always be released as a complete set.

With so many unfinished sets, i just hope that WB doesn't start another round of releases on the MOD format,
only to abandon those. It would be unfortunate if we start seeing split seasons and multi-volume sets because
they're trying to stretch out the release schedule to keep the revenue rolling for years to come. It's really
frustrating some of these series are taking so long to complete. It shouldn't take decades to put out some
shows on dvd!

Greg Chenoweth

Supporting Actor
Originally Posted by Randy Korstick
Not sure how this applies. This thread is about Hanna-Barbera titles on Mod/DVD. "The Jetsons" and "Wait till your father gets home" are the only two titles I'm aware of that are unfinished other than scooby doo episodes here and there.. The vast majority of H-B shows are somewhere between 13-20 episodes total so they will most always be released as a complete set.
Huckleberry Hound is unfinished on DVD/MOD.

derosa

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Grant
Originally Posted by Randy Korstick
I thought my previous posts were pretty clear. It applies because the new MOD Mr. T set is being split into season sets,
and there is a history of the multi season sets not being completed, or taking very long to complete on DVD.

As has been discussed before, the MOD is not many people's first choice of format, but the trade off being at least
the series are being released, for the most part complete. Season sets on MOD just adds a new wrinkle, that's all.
Sorry if you don't think it's a proper part of the HB MOD discussion.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks