What's new

Next Hanna-Barbera set? (1 Viewer)

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
I think the exact issues were the caricatures of some of the guest stars featured on seasons 2-4 (season 4 was very short: only 4 episodes that aired from 9/10/74 to 10/1/74), some of them having previously appeared on The New Scooby-Doo Movies.

When it comes to special guest stars, were they just done as "work for hire" where they didn't have any ownership stake?

If the voice isn't the issue, then I would guess the caricatures have to do with a person's appearance "likeness" image being the property of the person's estate.

Looking through the guest stars in seasons 2 and 3 of "Wait Till Your Father Gets Home", the unresolved issues might be with Phyllis Diller, Monty Hall, and Rich Little.

(Looking at the New Scooby Doo Movies dvd/bluray release from 2019, it appears the Phyllis Diller episode was resolved).

ClassicTVMan1981X

Screenwriter
Real Name
Benjamin
I think a lot of what isn't on DVD just yet is due to the fact that some of the original opening teasers and specialized bumpers specific to each program that is at least one hour long were not transferred to tape. Some were fortunate to do so, as with the mid-1980s USA Cartoon Express reruns of Dynomutt, Dog Wonder, which had the short segmental opening title and the original 45-second closing credits for The Scooby-Doo/Dynomutt Hour (but replacing the mid-'70s H-B Rainbow with the Swirling Star).

I remain hopeful they will find all the remaining 35mm elements to such shows as... and I know some of these are out on DVD already, but I would hope what has been released will be re-released on Blu-Ray so as to reinstate these lost elements I speak of...
The Huckleberry Hound Show (seasons 2-3, 1959-61) -- inbetween bumpers
The Quick Draw McGraw (1959-61) -- inbetween bumpers
Touche Turtle (1962-63)
The Adventures of Gulliver (1968)
The Banana Splits Adventure Hour (1968-69) -- inbetween bumpers
The Cattanooga Cats (1969)/Motormouse and Autocat (1970) -- inbetween bumpers, closing cliffhangers
Dastardly and Muttley in Their Flying Machines (1969-70) -- inbetween bumpers, closing cliffhangers
The Perils of Penelope Pitstop (1969-70) -- inbetween bumpers, closing cliffhangers
The Pebbles and Bamm-Bamm Show (1971-72) -- previews and inbetween bumpers
The Flintstone Comedy Hour '72 (1972-73) -- inbetween bumpers
These Are the Days (1974-75) -- inbetween bumpers
The Tom & Jerry/Grape Ape Show (1975)
The Scooby-Doo/Dynomutt Hour (1976) -- previews, inbetween bumpers, original closing credits
The Mumbly Cartoon Show (1976) -- inbetween bumpers, original broadcast closing credits specific to the two parts of the show's original run (as part of The Tom & Jerry/Grape Ape/Mumbly Show for episodes 1-13, and The Tom & Jerry/Mumbly Show for episodes 14-16)
CB Bears (1977) -- previews, inbetween bumpers
Skatebirds (1977)/The Three Robonic Stooges (1978) -- previews, inbetween bumpers
Yogi's Space Race (1978) -- opening teasers, inbetween bumpers
Jana of the Jungle (1978) -- inbetween bumpers
The New Fred and Barney Show (1979) -- opening teasers, inbetween bumpers, and original broadcast closing credits specific to the series' original NBC run (solo for episodes 1-10, and Fred and Barney Meet the Thing for episodes 11-17)
Scooby-Doo and Scrappy-Doo (1979-81) -- opening teasers, inbetween bumpers, original broadcast closing credits specific to the series' original ABC run (model sheet credits for episodes 1-16, and the original 1980 closing credits used on the first five half-hours of the shorts run for the 1980-81 shorts episodes)
Casper and the Angels (1979) -- opening teasers, inbetween bumpers
The New Shmoo (1979) -- opening teasers, inbetween bumpers, singalong segments
Captain Caveman and the Teen Angels (season 3, 1980) -- season-specific intro, inbetween bumpers, and original solo closing credits (when broadcast on ABC)
The Richie Rich/Scooby-Doo Show (season 1, 1980-81) -- opening teasers, inbetween bumpers, and original closing credits
The Flintstone Comedy Show '80 (1980-81) -- opening teasers, inbetween bumpers
Trollkins (1981) -- opening teasers, inbetween bumpers
Smurfs (seasons 2-9, 1982-89) -- opening teasers, original intros with Kris Stevens voiceover, inbetween bumpers
The Gary Coleman Show (1982) - opening teasers, original intro with Casey Kasem voiceover
Yogi's Treasure Hunt (1985-88)
Wildfire (1986)
Foofur (1986-87)
Fantastic Max (1988)
Midnight Patrol (1990)

~Ben

Last edited:

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
I remain hopeful they will find all the remaining 35mm elements to such shows as... and I know some of these are out on DVD already, but I would hope what has been released will be re-released on Blu-Ray so as to reinstate these lost elements I speak of...

Warner says it's the elements--Huck2 and QuickDraw have been off the table since long before the Archive, when Warner was still selling H-B retail--but I'd heard it was also due to rights issues over their use of John Seely library-music that we associate with early H-B shorts.
Which was still owned by Columbia, from their Bozo the Clown cartoons.

It's the same issue keeping a few of the later 50's Looney Tunes off of disk, which used the music cues as well.

Mark Y

Screenwriter
Warner says it's the elements--Huck2 and QuickDraw have been off the table since long before the Archive, when Warner was still selling H-B retail--but I'd heard it was also due to rights issues over their use of John Seely library-music that we associate with early H-B shorts.
Which was still owned by Columbia, from their Bozo the Clown cartoons.

It's the same issue keeping a few of the later 50's Looney Tunes off of disk, which used the music cues as well.

What I remember reading is that the Capitol library was later sold, or more specifically, the rights reverted to the individual composers, Seely-Loose and others. So the rights to the library were split among various entities. I also specifically remember reading that some of the cues used in Quick Draw McGraw belonged to someone who is out of the business and flat-out refuses to license it, full stop. But I don't remember the details.

ClassicTVMan1981X

Screenwriter
Real Name
Benjamin
What I remember reading is that the Capitol library was later sold, or more specifically, the rights reverted to the individual composers, Seely-Loose and others. So the rights to the library were split among various entities. I also specifically remember reading that some of the cues used in Quick Draw McGraw belonged to someone who is out of the business and flat-out refuses to license it, full stop. But I don't remember the details.
Whoever was in charge of that decision is a complete control freak!

~Ben

Mark Y

Screenwriter
I know this series has been out from Warner Archive for some time, but I am hoping someone can clear up some questions about "Space Kidettes" and "Young Samson."

I am just a hair too young to have seen these in their original run(s). My understanding is that both were sponsored by General Mills and originally, the support segments on both shows were from Total TV and Jay Ward, not Hanna-Barbera.

That's how "Space Kidettes" played in Chicago when it finally appeared there in the 1980s. The Space Kidettes cartoon would begin, but then the Total TV cartoons "Go Go Gophers" and "The Hunter" played in the middle. Then the Space Kidettes cartoon concluded, and then we got a short Commander McBragg cartoon.

In between all these segments, they had short bumpers which were just brief skits with the Kidettes and Captain Skyhook.

While this was airing Sunday mornings in Chicago, a different version of the show was playing on USA Cartoon Express. This version of the show didn't have any of the Total TV stuff.

Okay, so I have seen reviews of the Warner Archive set, such as this one
which tell a different story, that both series originally had longer episodes which were then cut down later to fit the other stuff in (with the missing material now lost), and further claiming that "Young Samson" had additional episodes which have since gone missing. I didn't see these in their original run, but someone who did told me the Total TV cartoons were there from the beginning.

Are there really "lost episodes" of "Young Samson?" Are both series really cut up? Or is that just typical Wrongopedia nonsense?

How about the Space Kidettes bumpers? Are they on the DVDs?

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
I know this series has been out from Warner Archive for some time, but I am hoping someone can clear up some questions about "Space Kidettes" and "Young Samson."

I am just a hair too young to have seen these in their original run(s). My understanding is that both were sponsored by General Mills and originally, the support segments on both shows were from Total TV and Jay Ward, not Hanna-Barbera.

That's how "Space Kidettes" played in Chicago when it finally appeared there in the 1980s. The Space Kidettes cartoon would begin, but then the Total TV cartoons "Go Go Gophers" and "The Hunter" played in the middle. Then the Space Kidettes cartoon concluded, and then we got a short Commander McBragg cartoon.

In between all these segments, they had short bumpers which were just brief skits with the Kidettes and Captain Skyhook.

While this was airing Sunday mornings in Chicago, a different version of the show was playing on USA Cartoon Express. This version of the show didn't have any of the Total TV stuff.

Okay, so I have seen reviews of the Warner Archive set, such as this one
which tell a different story, that both series originally had longer episodes which were then cut down later to fit the other stuff in (with the missing material now lost), and further claiming that "Young Samson" had additional episodes which have since gone missing. I didn't see these in their original run, but someone who did told me the Total TV cartoons were there from the beginning.

Are there really "lost episodes" of "Young Samson?" Are both series really cut up? Or is that just typical Wrongopedia nonsense?

How about the Space Kidettes bumpers? Are they on the DVDs?

My understanding is Young Samson episodes are only cut by a minute but the Space Kidettes which run about 10 minutes on the DVD are cut by 4 to 4 & 1/2 minutes. I would really like to see a release of the full length Space Cadet episodes but they may no longer exist. Including commercials Space Kidettes took up the 1st 20-21 minutes of the show and then another short usually go-go gophers would fill the remaining time in the half hour show. There are no bumpers on the DVD.

ClassicTVMan1981X

Screenwriter
Real Name
Benjamin
My understanding is Young Samson episodes are only cut by a minute but the Space Kidettes which run about 10 minutes on the DVD are cut by 4 to 4 & 1/2 minutes. I would really like to see a release of the full length Space Cadet episodes but they may no longer exist. Including commercials Space Kidettes took up the 1st 20-21 minutes of the show and then another short usually go-go gophers would fill the remaining time in the half hour show. There are no bumpers on the DVD.
What we still don't know is exactly how NBC had broadcast these two... my understanding is that all the episodes were full length when NBC had ran them. If anybody has any old NBC broadcasts of these cartoons for proof, please let us know.

~Ben

Last edited:

Mark Y

Screenwriter
I have a Space Kidettes show which I taped from a Chicago TV station in the mid-1980s. It begins with a cold opening teaser, then the main title, then the beginning of the Space Kidettes cartoon. There is a break, then the next two segments begin with a Space Kidettes bumper skit, then either Go Go Gophers or The Hunter. Both of these have their respective intros. Then another break, then the rest of the Space Kidettes cartoon, then I believe another break, then McBragg and the Space Kidettes show closing, followed by a short credit stating that the Go Go Gophers and Hunter cartoons were produced by Total Television. This is accompanied by the Go Go Gophers cartoon intro fanfare.

Ron Lee Green

Screenwriter
Was hoping they would release Jeannie by now. I mean they got clearance to air her segment on the Scooby Movies set last year. I'm guessing now that Sony owns the show (not HB), and they are the ones who can put it out???

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
Was hoping they would release Jeannie by now. I mean they got clearance to air her segment on the Scooby Movies set last year. I'm guessing now that Sony owns the show (not HB), and they are the ones who can put it out???
Yes Sony has always owned Jeannie and Partridge Family 2200 AD and don't seem to have any interest in release them. I know a couple Partridge family episodes were included as bonus on the DVD's of the TV show.

paste

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
David
Yes Sony has always owned Jeannie and Partridge Family 2200 AD and don't seem to have any interest in release them. I know a couple Partridge family episodes were included as bonus on the DVD's of the TV show.

Speaking of Jeannie and the Partridge Family 2200 AD, it looks like both shows are airing in Canada on CTV (along with a bunch of other short lived shows from the 80/90s).

CTV Shows

ClassicTVMan1981X

Screenwriter
Real Name
Benjamin
Last edited:

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
I think a lot of what isn't on DVD just yet is due to the fact that some of the original opening teasers and specialized bumpers specific to each program that is at least one hour long were not transferred to tape. Some were fortunate to do so, as with the mid-1980s USA Cartoon Express reruns of Dynomutt, Dog Wonder, which had the short segmental opening title and the original 45-second closing credits for The Scooby-Doo/Dynomutt Hour (but replacing the mid-'70s H-B Rainbow with the Swirling Star).

Touche Turtle (1962-63)
The Adventures of Gulliver (1968)
The Banana Splits Adventure Hour (1968-69) -- inbetween bumpers
The Cattanooga Cats (1969)/Motormouse and Autocat (1970) -- inbetween bumpers, closing cliffhangers
Dastardly and Muttley in Their Flying Machines (1969-70) -- inbetween bumpers, closing cliffhangers
The Perils of Penelope Pitstop (1969-70) -- inbetween bumpers, closing cliffhangers
The Pebbles and Bamm-Bamm Show (1971-72) -- previews and inbetween bumpers
The Flintstone Comedy Hour '72 (1972-73) -- inbetween bumpers
These Are the Days (1974-75) -- inbetween bumpers
The Tom & Jerry/Grape Ape Show (1975)
The Scooby-Doo/Dynomutt Hour (1976) -- previews, inbetween bumpers, original closing credits
The Mumbly Cartoon Show (1976) -- inbetween bumpers, original broadcast closing credits specific to the two parts of the show's original run (as part of The Tom & Jerry/Grape Ape/Mumbly Show for episodes 1-13, and The Tom & Jerry/Mumbly Show for episodes 14-16)
CB Bears (1977) -- previews, inbetween bumpers
Skatebirds (1977)/The Three Robonic Stooges (1978) -- previews, inbetween bumpers
Yogi's Space Race (1978) -- opening teasers, inbetween bumpers
Jana of the Jungle (1978) -- inbetween bumpers
The New Fred and Barney Show (1979) -- opening teasers, inbetween bumpers, and original broadcast closing credits specific to the series' original NBC run (solo for episodes 1-10, and Fred and Barney Meet the Thing for episodes 11-17)
Scooby-Doo and Scrappy-Doo (1979-81) -- opening teasers, inbetween bumpers, original broadcast closing credits specific to the series' original ABC run (model sheet credits for episodes 1-16, and the original 1980 closing credits used on the first five half-hours of the shorts run for the 1980-81 shorts episodes)
Casper and the Angels (1979) -- opening teasers, inbetween bumpers
The New Shmoo (1979) -- opening teasers, inbetween bumpers, singalong segments
Captain Caveman and the Teen Angels (season 3, 1980) -- season-specific intro, inbetween bumpers, and original solo closing credits (when broadcast on ABC)
The Richie Rich/Scooby-Doo Show (season 1, 1980-81) -- opening teasers, inbetween bumpers, and original closing credits
The Flintstone Comedy Show '80 (1980-81) -- opening teasers, inbetween bumpers
Trollkins (1981) -- opening teasers, inbetween bumpers
Smurfs (seasons 2-9, 1982-89) -- opening teasers, original intros with Kris Stevens voiceover, inbetween bumpers
The Gary Coleman Show (1982) - opening teasers, original intro with Casey Kasem voiceover
Yogi's Treasure Hunt (1985-88)
Wildfire (1986)
Foofur (1986-87)
Fantastic Max (1988)
Midnight Patrol (1990)

~Ben

Gee, asking for much? :) Does anyone really know what WB holds for this HB material?

…and let's not forget 1960's THE BUGGS BUNNY SHOW prime-time ABC material, too. The shows in their half-hour format - The intros, the wrap arounds, the edited versions of the cartoons, etc - I keep hearing reports they DO hold everything ,just in B&W.

If only the great ,late Earl Kress was still with us - he was the guy with the inside track on the HB material.

ClassicTVMan1981X

Screenwriter
Real Name
Benjamin
Gee, asking for much? :) Does anyone really know what WB holds for this HB material?

…and let's not forget 1960's THE BUGGS BUNNY SHOW prime-time ABC material, too. The shows in their half-hour format - The intros, the wrap arounds, the edited versions of the cartoons, etc - I keep hearing reports they DO hold everything ,just in B&W.

If only the great ,late Earl Kress was still with us - he was the guy with the inside track on the HB material.
So too was Darrell McNeil, who died in 2018. He too had a lot to say about all the H-B cartoons he'd worked on, including most of what's on my list.

~Ben

Last edited:

HB-cool

Agent
Real Name
Dmytro
hey everyone. many months didnt watched this thread. as I see nothing specially new came out this time. But I see some blurays:
- tex avery screwball classics vol2 (not HB but mgm, but also great , since this never was released before)
- jossie and pussycats (bluray)
- space ghost and dino boy (bluray).

Anyone can tell me if there is some difference between earlier DVD MOD releases and these bluray repacking ? the picture and sound are the same? maybe its just other format (bluray instead of DVD)?

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
hey everyone. many months didnt watched this thread. as I see nothing specially new came out this time. But I see some blurays:
- tex avery screwball classics vol2 (not HB but mgm, but also great , since this never was released before)
- jossie and pussycats (bluray)
- space ghost and dino boy (bluray).

Anyone can tell me if there is some difference between earlier DVD MOD releases and these bluray repacking ? the picture and sound are the same? maybe its just other format (bluray instead of DVD)?
All 3 of those were remastered in HD for those releases so the picture quality is greatly improved. Better sharpness, Detail and Color. But there is nothing new added to the shows and no new extras.

HB-cool

Agent
Real Name
Dmytro
thanks for the answer. the picture improving is much more important for me personally than extras. and the main thing is to leave the sound quality as it is, slightly cleared it. I see the bad results with sound remastering in Caveman DVD (if we can tell that was remastered professionally, but I doubt ). all shots from this set on DVD have very very sharp and high frequency voices which comes aloneside out of the total music channel. the same shit happened with Jonny Quest bluray. Im glad it was restored in HD with openings, but the sound improving is ugliest thing I wish to hear. it sounds like that was re-voiced and edited in 2020 but not in that old sweet retro days before(((

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks