What's new

Next Hanna-Barbera set? (7 Viewers)

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
The Jetsons episodes sound like they might be in mono.

Examining this Jetsons complete series dvd set more closely, it sounds like season 1 is entirely in mono. Though seasons 2 and 3 are in stereo.

Any and all older special features have been dropped entirely. (The older dvd sets and bluray had some special features). So it is just the bare bones episodes.

The picture quality of the transfers look like they are NOT modern hd restored ones. If I had to guess, these were probably the same transfers made back in the 1980s for syndication.

The season 1 episodes don't look like they were hd restored ones at all. (In contrast, the reviews of the season 1 bluray suggests more recent modern hd transfers were used for the bluray).

If you're extremely picky about picture quality, then you shouldn't waste your time with this version.

ClassicTVMan1981X

Screenwriter
Real Name
Benjamin
Examining this Jetsons complete series dvd set more closely, it sounds like season 1 is entirely in mono. Though seasons 2 and 3 are in stereo.

Any and all older special features have been dropped entirely. (The older dvd sets and bluray had some special features). So it is just the bare bones episodes.

The picture quality of the transfers look like they are NOT modern hd restored ones. If I had to guess, these were probably the same transfers made back in the 1980s for syndication.

The season 1 episodes don't look like they were hd restored ones at all. (In contrast, the reviews of the season 1 bluray suggests more recent modern hd transfers were used for the bluray).

If you're extremely picky about picture quality, then you shouldn't waste your time with this version.
What logos did you find on the syndicated episodes? Did they keep the 1983 and '86 Swirling Star logos that were seen on the HBO Max prints?

~Ben

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
What logos did you find on the syndicated episodes? Did they keep the 1983 and '86 Swirling Star logos that were seen on the HBO Max prints?

The logo segments were removed entirely from the end of the season 3 episodes and the Flintstones meets Jetsons movie.

At the end of the season 1 and season 2 episodes, the logo segments after the closing end credits is a very modern looking one. Not the old swirling one.

The only place where there exists the old swirling star logo segment, were at the beginning of most of the season 2 episodes on discs 3, 4, and 5 on the Jetsons complete series dvd set. Roughly corresponding to the same episodes on the old season 2 volume 1 Jetsons dvd set from 2009.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
At the end of the season 1 and season 2 episodes, the logo segments after the closing end credits is a very modern looking one. Not the old swirling one.

To be more specific, this is the logo segment after the closing end credits of the season 1 and 2 episodes on the Jetsons complete series dvd set. It mentions "a Turner company".

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Did the original syndicated first-run episodes have the swirling star logo segment at the beginning of the episode ?

I don't remember seeing this swirling star logo segment at all, whenever I saw random episodes over the years after the 1980s.

Lecagr

Screenwriter
Real Name
Lee
Regarding The Jetsons episodes on the newly released DVD set, I'm assuming that the 1980's episodes have shorter run times (approx. 22 minutes each) compared to the 1960's episodes (approx. 25 minutes each). Is this correct?

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Regarding The Jetsons episodes on the newly released DVD set, I'm assuming that the 1980's episodes have shorter run times (approx. 22 minutes each) compared to the 1960's episodes (approx. 25 minutes each). Is this correct?

From skimming through the discs, this is the case except for the Flintstons meet the Jetsons.

Lecagr

Screenwriter
Real Name
Lee
From skimming through the discs, this is the case except for the Flintstons meet the Jetsons.

Thanks for checking, I figured that the 1980's episodes run a few minutes shorter than the 1960's episodes. Jetsons meet The Flintstones is a feature length movie and should run approx. 90 minutes.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
The big reason for the difference in runtimes is The original Jetsons was a prime time cartoon like the Flintstones and the episodes were written for Adults and families and the animation quality a little better than Saturday morning fare. The later 80's Jetsons episodes were made for Saturday morning and Saturday morning shows usually run between 21-22 and 1/2 minutes.

ClassicTVMan1981X

Screenwriter
Real Name
Benjamin
The big reason for the difference in runtimes is The original Jetsons was a prime time cartoon like the Flintstones and the episodes were written for Adults and families and the animation quality a little better than Saturday morning fare. The later 80's Jetsons episodes were made for Saturday morning and Saturday morning shows usually run between 21-22 and 1/2 minutes.
Randy,

The '80s Jetsons cartoons were initially seen in weekday afternoon syndication, while the original ones did get rerun on Saturday mornings from 1963 to 1982.

~Ben

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
Randy,

The '80s Jetsons cartoons were initially seen in weekday afternoon syndication, while the original ones did get rerun on Saturday mornings from 1963 to 1982.

~Ben
Yes nearly all of the HB prime time shows were rerun on Saturday mornings and weekday afternoons. I only remember the original Jetsons playing on Saturday morning around 79-81. They were shown on Weekday afternoons from mid 70's to around 82 in the southern California market.

ClassicTVMan1981X

Screenwriter
Real Name
Benjamin
Yes nearly all of the HB prime time shows were rerun on Saturday mornings and weekday afternoons. I only remember the original Jetsons playing on Saturday morning around 79-81. They were shown on Weekday afternoons from mid 70's to around 82 in the southern California market.
The original episodes, when they were re-ran weekday afternoons, was what led to the 1985 and '87 episodes being made. I believe the weekday afternoon reruns were higher-rated than the Saturday morning reruns.

~Ben

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
The original episodes, when they were re-ran weekday afternoons, was what led to the 1985 and '87 episodes being made. I believe the weekday afternoon reruns were higher-rated than the Saturday morning reruns.

~Ben
(More generally).

When did 65+ episodes become a standard for cartoon daily reruns?

Greg Chenoweth

Supporting Actor
(More generally).

When did 65+ episodes become a standard for cartoon daily reruns?
It was standards set by the studios. 65 episodes covers 13 weeks of material (13 weeks X 5 shows a week equals 65 episodes) or just over three months. The original STAR TREK made 79 episodes over three years from its network run on NBC and it was just enough for Paramount to syndicate the show to local TV stations and when it aired in syndication is when it became a hit.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
The only cartoons reruns I remember having many episodes, were the Flintstones and various loony toons before the 1980s.

I didn't watch as many cartoons by the 1980s. Though the ones I remember which had a lot of episodes was stuff like: Transformers, GI Joe, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, etc ....

For other pre-1980s HB cartoons in daily (or semi-daily) reruns, I vaguely remember they would change every month or so. Stuff like Wait Till Your Father Gets Home, Jetsons, etc ...

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
If I had to guess, Rhodes/Taft offered various HB shows as a giant syndication package for daily/semi-daily reruns after school (ie. 3:30 -> 5:30 pm) or saturdays, during the mid-late 1970s ?

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Speaking of which, I wonder if Warner is planning on more HB complete series sets, similar to what was done with this recent Jetsons complete series dvd set.

I noticed the "Wait Till Your Father Gets Home" season 1 dvd set 2007, appears it has been out-of-print for awhile. It wasn't re-released back in 2017 during the "diamond collection" batch of HB re-releases.

Lets hope "Wait Till Your Father Gets Home" is re-released as a complete series set. Most likely it will be a 5 or 6 discs set, if there are 8, 9 or 10 episodes per disc.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
Speaking of which, I wonder if Warner is planning on more HB complete series sets, similar to what was done with this recent Jetsons complete series dvd set.

I noticed the "Wait Till Your Father Gets Home" season 1 dvd set 2007, appears it has been out-of-print for awhile. It wasn't re-released back in 2017 during the "diamond collection" batch of HB re-releases.

Lets hope "Wait Till Your Father Gets Home" is re-released as a complete series set. Most likely it will be a 5 or 6 discs set, if there are 8, 9 or 10 episodes per disc.
WAC has stated Season 2 and 3 never got released because of clearance issues but they never clarified what those clearance issues were.

ClassicTVMan1981X

Screenwriter
Real Name
Benjamin
WAC has stated Season 2 and 3 never got released because of clearance issues but they never clarified what those clearance issues were.
I think the exact issues were the caricatures of some of the guest stars featured on seasons 2-4 (season 4 was very short: only 4 episodes that aired from 9/10/74 to 10/1/74), some of them having previously appeared on The New Scooby-Doo Movies.

~Ben

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks