What's new

Next Hanna-Barbera set? (1 Viewer)

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
This upcoming Jetsons complete series set suggests the 8 discs are likely reauthored.

IIRC, the disc counts of the original releases were something like:

(2006 Warner) season 1 -> 4 discs
(2009 Warner) season 2 volume 1 -> 3 discs
(2011 Warner Archive) season 2 volume 2 - > 3 discs
(2014 Warner Archive) season 3 -> 1 disc

The 2017 re-released season 1 dvd set had 3 discs.

So likely this upcoming Jetsons complete series dvd set will be:

season 1 -> 3 discs
season 2 -> 4 discs
season 3 -> 1 disc

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
I'm a little confused as how things in terms of WBHE and Warner Archive and who can release what.

I'm made to understand that only WBHE can release Scooby Doo and Tom and Jerry. They had jurisdiction over Smurfs at the time of the Sony movies, but who knows what going on now.

So, where does that leave everything else? With the Jetsons in particular, the same episodes will have been released by both WBHE and WAC. IS this a care where the two divisions can "share" properties and resources? Is this a result of the At&T buyouy?

(Not a definitive answer).

The only way to answer this question. is to understand how Warner manages their home entertainment divisions.

If there is one executive who is the head of the entire home video division, then maybe there are no "chinese walls" between the WBHE and WAC divisions.

In contrast if WBHE and WAC are run as independent fiefdoms, then the situation is much more complicated. Then it becomes a battle of the division heads having to fight intra-company "politics" in order to determine who gets to release what.

justarandomstan

Second Unit
Real Name
Stan
This upcoming Jetsons complete series set suggests the 8 discs are likely reauthored.

season 1 -> 3 discs
season 2 -> 4 discs
season 3 -> 1 disc

The Jetsons meet The Flintstones is also a part of the package, so keep that in mind as well.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
The Jetsons meet The Flintstones is also a part of the package, so keep that in mind as well.

If this is indeed the case, then this would suggest the five reauthored Jetsons seasons 2 and 3 discs will probably have 11 episodes per disc. (Assuming the Jetsons/Flintstones telefilm occupies a time span of approximately four episodes).

I'm guessing the season 1 discs will likely be the exact same three discs from the 2017 re-released Jetsons seasons 1 dvd set.

ClassicTVMan1981X

Screenwriter
Real Name
Benjamin
WHV released a single disc from the Huck box set, just the first disc, in a stand alone release a year after the box set was released. They have also released Spanish and French versions of either the box set or single discs around the world. My contention is that if it was such a poor selling release in the USA, they would not keep putting out various disc releases throughout the world, or even in America.

Recently, WHV put out a "4 Kids Favorite Dog Pound Pack" set that included the first disc of the Huckleberry Hound set, the first disc of the Hong Kong Phooey set, the first disc of the Droopy set and the first disc of the Dastardly and Muttley in their Flying Machines set; it was released in 2017 and is still available from Amazon.

For Huck, VHS releases included over 10 videocassette releases; many of those were low budget releases with only four cartoons on the tapes at department stores in the KIDDIE KLASSICS series. Quick Draw had about five or six releases. Also, I lived in England for three and a half years and every Huck and Quick Draw cartoon was available to own on VHS tapes put out by Turner Broadcasting. No music licensing issues with those releases.

I think WHV has put out the one and only Huck set and is just fine sitting back and enjoying milking those same 22 cartoon shows in different releases and is using "poor sales" and "music licensing" as excuses for not restoring the rest of the cartoons to put out on home video.
I am wondering if they are still legally blocked from releasing season 2 of this along with season 1 of The Quick Draw McGraw Show and Ruff & Reddy, as a result of the ongoing mystery surrounding the Capitol Hi-Q music library these shows used? Season 3 of the Huck Hound Show and season 2 of The Quick Draw McGraw Show, as far as I know, switched to using music scored by Hoyt Curtin.

Surely if some of the music that was part of this particular library was restored in later editions of The Fugitive (1963-67; see the Most Wanted edition), then I think there may be a way to work these same issues out surrounding the pre-1960 Hanna-Barbera cartoon library.

~Ben

Last edited:

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
(Not a definitive answer).

The only way to answer this question. is to understand how Warner manages their home entertainment divisions.

If there is one executive who is the head of the entire home video division, then maybe there are no "chinese walls" between the WBHE and WAC divisions.

In contrast if WBHE and WAC are run as independent fiefdoms, then the situation is much more complicated. Then it becomes a battle of the division heads having to fight intra-company "politics" in order to determine who gets to release what.
My understanding is that WA can have what WHV allows it to have. Generally, WHV has had Looney Tunes and Scooby, and the major HB releases (original series of Flintstones, Yogi, Jetsons, etc.). My understanding is that WA lobbied to be able to release other Looney Tunes and they were allowed to do Porky Pig. WA is run independently regarding titles they are allowed to have.

Mark Y

Screenwriter
My understanding is that WA can have what WHV allows it to have. Generally, WHV has had Looney Tunes and Scooby, and the major HB releases (original series of Flintstones, Yogi, Jetsons, etc.). My understanding is that WA lobbied to be able to release other Looney Tunes and they were allowed to do Porky Pig. WA is run independently regarding titles they are allowed to have.

I think it's a "first refusal" thing. WHV wasn't interested in releasing a set of B&W cartoons, therefore "Porky Pig 101" came out via Warner Archive.

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
I think it's a "first refusal" thing. WHV wasn't interested in releasing a set of B&W cartoons, therefore "Porky Pig 101" came out via Warner Archive.
To some extent yes, but there are many Scooby and Bugs cartoons that WHV hasn’t been interested in but WA can’t release I believe

Ken_Martinez

BANNED
Real Name
Ken

But how much has that changed in the last few years. WA put out Jetsons and Jonny Quest on Blu-Ray, and The Flintstones started out as a WA project; the only reason WHV is putting it out is because they had the funds to restore the whole series at once.

ClassicTVMan1981X

Screenwriter
Real Name
Benjamin
This is the Flintstones 60th anniversary, debuting in 1960, so the anniversary Blu-ray set makes sense. Last year it was Scooby-Doo's 50th anniversary so the Scooby Blu-ray sets that came out made sense. I would be a lot more confident of a Yogi Bear Blu-ray set if it came from Warner Archive instead of WHV.
Same with Top Cat, who also has his 60th anniversary next year.

~Ben

Pmprod7

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
PM
I saw the Josie HD quality episodes on HBO Max and they look great.Not only do the colors look better, but also the contrast is fixed. But I was hoping there would be enough time to vote for them to put the laugh tracks back on the episodes for the Blu-Ray. They are what helped make the show full and alive in the humor area.
They very unfortunately left off the laugh tracks on both DVD versions and the jokes fall flat by comparison. I'm one of the fans who loved the laugh tracks on the Saturday morning cartoons even if some thought they were cheesy. Josie ATPC is one where the laugh tracks were a plus.

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
I saw the Josie HD quality episodes on HBO Max and they look great.Not only do the colors look better, but also the contrast is fixed. But I was hoping there would be enough time to vote for them to put the laugh tracks back on the episodes for the Blu-Ray. They are what helped make the show full and alive in the humor area.
They very unfortunately left off the laugh tracks on both DVD versions and the jokes fall flat by comparison. I'm one of the fans who loved the laugh tracks on the Saturday morning cartoons even if some thought they were cheesy. Josie ATPC is one where the laugh tracks were a plus.
Were the laugh tracks original to this show?

Pmprod7

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
PM
Yes--Josie and the Pussycats had a laugh track that added greatly to the comedic tone of the relations between the characters. There was scheming (primarily by the character Alexandra),slapstick and one liners galore in the show and the laugh track served it almost better than it did on ' Scooby Doo'.

I've been trying to dub the new prints with the old audio from the Cartoon Network where they had the laugh track. But it's a meticulous thing to do synching up the lip movements with the old audio. And too many episodes to go through. What I accomplished on a few episodes look good though and are more enjoyable to look at. I used the prints from HBO Max--but now the Blu-Ray is coming out.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr

season 1 -> 3 discs
season 2 -> 4 discs
season 3 -> 1 disc

My guess was complete wrong.

It turns out this entire Jetsons complete series dvd set appears to be reauthored entirely for all 8 discs.

It appears the season 2 episodes are not in the broadcast order sequence (compared to the corresponding wikipedia entries).

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
This is the episode order on the eight dvd discs of the Jetsons complete series set.

disc 1

Rosey the Robot
A Date with Jet Screamer
The Space Car
The Coming of Astro
Jetson's Nite Out

The Good Little Scouts
The Flying Suit
Rosey's Boyfriend
Elroy's TV Show

disc 2

Uniblab
A Visit from Grandpa
Astro's Top Secret
Elroy's Pal
Test Pilot

Millionaire Astro
The Little Man
Las Venus
Jane's Driving Lesson

disc 3

G.I. Jetson
Miss Solar System
TV or Not TV
Private Property
Dude Planet
Elroy's Mob

Elroy Meets Orbitty
Rosie Come Home
Solar Snoops
Judy's Birthday Surprise

disc 4

Super George
Family Fallout
S.M.A.S.H.
The Mirrormorph
Mother's Day for Rosie
Jetsons' Millions

Fugitive Fleas
Rip-Off Rosie
Far-Out Father
Astro's Big Moment
The Cosmic Courtship of George and Jane

disc 5

Fantasy Planet
S'No Relative
Instant Replay
Haunted Halloween
Future Tense
The Wrong Stuff

One Strike, You're Out
Dance Time
Judy Takes Off
Winner Takes All
High Moon

disc 6

Hi-Tech Wreck
Little Bundle of Trouble
Elroy in Wonderland
The Swiss Family Jetson
Space Bong
The Vacation

Team Spirit
Dog Daze Afternoon
Grandpa and the Galactic Goldigger
Robot's Revenge
To Tell the Truth

disc 7

Boy George
Judy's Elopement
The Century's Best
A Jetson Christmas Carol
Crime Games
ASTROnomical I.Q.

9 to 5 to 9
Invisibly Yours, George
Father/Daughter Dance
Clean as a Hound's Tooth
Wedding Bells for Rosey

disc 8

The Odd Pod
Two Many Georges
Spacely for a Day

The Jetsons Meet The Flintstones

ClassicTVMan1981X

Screenwriter
Real Name
Benjamin
My guess was complete wrong.

It turns out this entire Jetsons complete series dvd set appears to be reauthored entirely for all 8 discs.

It appears the season 2 episodes are not in the broadcast order sequence (compared to the corresponding wikipedia entries).
Seasons 2 and 3 were syndicated, so the exact airdates for each episode may vary with each station that elected to carry it.

~Ben

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks