Next Hanna-Barbera set?

ClassicTVMan1981X

Screenwriter
Real Name
Benjamin
Interesting Ben I watched it originally and liked the show its one that I really wish WAC would release in its complete 90 minute version. They could easily reuse the opening credits for episodes 9-13 since they were originally intended as 90 minute episodes as well before they broke up the show after episode 8. I am not sure if I still watched it after the original 8. I think I may have watched the hour long version so I can't answer your question but I think you are correct that they broke it up like that. I do remember the original 90 minute format was:
Space Race: Act 1
The Galloping Ghost
Galaxy Goof Ups: complete episode
Buford
Space Race: Act 2

There were several bumpers after each episode telling you to not miss the conclusion of the Space Race.
Randy,

Thank you! Both of us, and many other fans of Yogi's Space Race, would prefer to see this series restored to this kind of format before being released on DVD.

If you have ever seen Challenge of the Super Friends on ABC, I think during the first eight weeks you saw Act I of the Challenge segment (with the Legion of Doom), and then the announcer says "Challenge of the Super Friends will return later!", then afterward they'd do Act I and II of the 1977-style Super Friends (all heroes) segment, before going to Act II of the Challenge segment. Then on the 9th week they expanded the series to 90 minutes by way of a 1977 rerun of the segments mentioned, before Act II of the Challenge episodes were shown.

~Ben

Last edited:

Ken_Martinez

Second Unit
Real Name
Ken
That is what the rest of us hope for, too!

~Ben
All of Yogi Bear's shorts are up on HBO Max in HD, including the dozen or so Huckleberry Hound Show shorts that weren't released on DVD.

I'll bet Yogi will be the first of the "funny animal" shorts to go on Blu-Ray. It's the most well known, it looks like a chunk of the restoration work has been done, and the underscore was created for the show, so none of the Capitol Music rights issues that are keeping Huck and Quick Draw.

Sean Thompson

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Sean
All of Yogi Bear's shorts are up on HBO Max in HD, including the dozen or so Huckleberry Hound Show shorts that weren't released on DVD.

I'll bet Yogi will be the first of the "funny animal" shorts to go on Blu-Ray. It's the most well known, it looks like a chunk of the restoration work has been done, and the underscore was created for the show, so none of the Capitol Music rights issues that are keeping Huck and Quick Draw.
Given that the restored HD versions of Josie and the pussycats and in outer space from HBO max have made their way to iTunes. We might even see them there.

ChrisALM

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris
I think I have all of the Yogi shorts; the two sets from Warner's (Yogi and Huck) and Boomerang. If a complete Yogi set becomes available on bluray, I'm in.

However, I would still like to see Warner's do Touche Turtle and Ruff and Reddy, if only on dvd. To me, the dvd's of Lippy and Wally look much better than my recordings from Boomerang.

With Quick Draw, looks like I'm stuck with Boomerang recordings from the 90's forever. At least I have something.

Greg Chenoweth

Supporting Actor
I haven't posted in this thread for a while but here I go with a rant, a tirade, a fierce missive neven! I think the whole "high cost" of the Capitol Hi-Q music library is a hoax from WHV, along with the music rights issues mentioned for reasons for not putting out the rest of Huckleberry Hound, Quick Draw McGraw, etc. cartoons. Capitol Hi-Q is the music library for "Night of the Living Dead", "The Ozzie and Harriett Show" and many more celebrated TV and movie properties from the 1960's and 70's, including Huck and Yogi. All of those properties are represented well in the market place but not Huck and definitely not Quick Draw.

WHV released the first Huck DVD volume along with the whole Yogi Bear show and we were told that Warner Brothers "bit the bullet" on the high music costs. Really? Huck was released fifteen years ago and has been re-packaged several times by WHV, including the Diamond Anniversary Edition. If it was such a poor seller, then wouldn't it make more sense to take it out of circulation? All of Huck's episodes are available for streaming on Boomerang and HBO MAX with no music issues involved at all. Also, in the 1980's and 1990's there were multiple Huck and Quick Draw VHS titles that were put out with low cost pricing, and music rights did not stop those releases.

I think WHV put out the one set of Huckleberry Hound and deliberately called it quits on any future sets because that was all they wanted to produce anyway. It was the only one they had planned and they are milking DVD sales of that one set over and over again. They have put more of their efforts into streaming services, thinking that streaming is the wave of the future; they might be right. The only H-B release from Warner Archive this year is going to be the upcoming SPACE GHOST Blu-ray set. THE FLINTSTONES Blu-ray set comes from WHV, not Warner Archive.

I hate to say it, but I am done wasting my time hoping that the rest of the Huckleberry Hound cartoons will be released on DVD or any home video format. I do not see anything changing any time soon and I am just going to move on. It was fun for a long time but now I feel like I've been suckered and I don't like it.

ClassicTVMan1981X

Screenwriter
Real Name
Benjamin
I haven't posted in this thread for a while but here I go with a rant, a tirade, a fierce missive neven! I think the whole "high cost" of the Capitol Hi-Q music library is a hoax from WHV, along with the music rights issues mentioned for reasons for not putting out the rest of Huckleberry Hound, Quick Draw McGraw, etc. cartoons. Capitol Hi-Q is the music library for "Night of the Living Dead", "The Ozzie and Harriett Show" and many more celebrated TV and movie properties from the 1960's and 70's, including Huck and Yogi. All of those properties are represented well in the market place but not Huck and definitely not Quick Draw.

WHV released the first Huck DVD volume along with the whole Yogi Bear show and we were told that Warner Brothers "bit the bullet" on the high music costs. Really? Huck was released fifteen years ago and has been re-packaged several times by WHV, including the Diamond Anniversary Edition. If it was such a poor seller, then wouldn't it make more sense to take it out of circulation? All of Huck's episodes are available for streaming on Boomerang and HBO MAX with no music issues involved at all. Also, in the 1980's and 1990's there were multiple Huck and Quick Draw VHS titles that were put out with low cost pricing, and music rights did not stop those releases.

I think WHV put out the one set of Huckleberry Hound and deliberately called it quits on any future sets because that was all they wanted to produce anyway. It was the only one they had planned and they are milking DVD sales of that one set over and over again. They have put more of their efforts into streaming services, thinking that streaming is the wave of the future; they might be right. The only H-B release from Warner Archive this year is going to be the upcoming SPACE GHOST Blu-ray set. THE FLINTSTONES Blu-ray set comes from WHV, not Warner Archive.

I hate to say it, but I am done wasting my time hoping that the rest of the Huckleberry Hound cartoons will be released on DVD or any home video format. I do not see anything changing any time soon and I am just going to move on. It was fun for a long time but now I feel like I've been suckered and I don't like it.
Greg,

I understand this is your opinion, but I would like to say instead that it is somewhere in between, and that I would prefer that things such as this work out for the better. I do not like seeing this or other news in a negative light, and I do hope they will address these issues you describe sooner or later.

~Ben

Last edited:
Reactions: Greg Chenoweth

JamesSmith

Screenwriter
Greg, I know it feels that way, but I doubt anyone feels good about the situation. But consider this, there are some movies from the thirties and forties that are just making it out on DVD this year. Sorry, forgot about their names. Some things take an awfully long long time.
Some of the legal issues that are holding up DVD releases may be corrected in the years ahead.

--james

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray

Heavens to murgatroid. A hoax even! Actually I think that what you say about Huck might be true as there’s a lot of Huck in the first set, and they’re all short cartoons, and WHV may feel the public will not appreciate another release. However, I don’t believe that they would not release Quick Draw without some reason like music rights given that they’ve released cartoons like Peter Potamus and Lippy the Lion. It’s not that I trust Warner, but their actions don’t support your theory.

Timothy E

Reviewer
Real Name
Timothy Ewanyshyn

You may not be wrong. After years of disappointment, I have abandoned hope that the studio will ever release all of the Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies on disc. Those cartoons do not even have the Capitol music cues as an issue. If they cannot even make all of the Bugs Bunny cartoons available by his 80th anniversary, I would not hold my breath on Quick Draw or the remaining Huck and Yogi cartoons.

Greg Chenoweth

Supporting Actor
You may not be wrong. After years of disappointment, I have abandoned hope that the studio will ever release all of the Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies on disc. Those cartoons do not even have the Capitol music cues as an issue. If they cannot even make all of the Bugs Bunny cartoons available by his 80th anniversary, I would not hold my breath on Quick Draw or the remaining Huck and Yogi cartoons.
I agree on Looney Tunes and Merry Melodies. It is mostly the same cartoons being re-released in new packaging with no rhyme or reason to how or why they are being repackaged. I thought PORKY PIG 101 was an interesting release but I thought they should have gone with Bugs Bunny instead because he is a better seller than Porky Pig.

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
I agree on Looney Tunes and Merry Melodies. It is mostly the same cartoons being re-released in new packaging with no rhyme or reason to how or why they are being repackaged. I thought PORKY PIG 101 was an interesting release but I thought they should have gone with Bugs Bunny instead because he is a better seller than Porky Pig.
My recollection is that it was one of those WHV vs WA things. WHV wouldn’t let them do Bugs and maybe Daffy so WA went with Porky.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
Good to see you back Greg. I am frustrated over the lack of Hanna Barbera titles over the past 2-3 years too. Although I feel declining disc sales is now affecting that more than anything. They seem to be mainly reissuing titles on Blu Ray recently probably because Blu Ray is selling a bit better.

JustARandomStan

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Stan
Dunno if it's been mentioned here, but The Jetsons (all 3 seasons) are being re - released as a complete series pack by WHV this month for around $25. This release is a part of the HB Diamond Collection line.

EDIT: The set also contains "The Jetsons meet The Flintstones".

Amazon product

Last edited:

Mark Y

Screenwriter

I believe the truth is somewhere in between. I don't think (in the case of Huckleberry Hound) it's a matter of not being able to license the music, but more likely the cost of doing so would result in Warner losing money if they released the rest of the series. Now, I don't know if the figures are any different for streaming, but that might possibly be a reason why they were able to put them out that way. Also, with streaming they don't have to manufacture a bunch of DVDs, cases, artwork, pay a design team etc.

Not trying to play "Devil's advocate" here, just trying to make sense of it.

I do remember reading though, that even though Huck and Quick Draw both used music from the Capitol, Hi-Q, Seely-Loose or whatever the library is or was called -- the copyright situation is different today as the former library is split among different owners -- it may have been an Earl Kress column where I read this -- apparently, some of the music used in Quick Draw is now owned by some entity which doesn't merely ask for too much money, they now flat-out refuse to license their music at all, full stop. I'm sorry I don't have a link, but if this is true, it means any release of Quick Draw aside from the last season is dead in the water.

I know the Warner Bros. cartoons briefly used some of the Seely-Loose stock music and some of those shorts were on the Golden Collections, but I think that may have been different because those were able to be marketed under the "Looney Tunes" brand and were more likely to recoup their costs than an abandoned Hanna-Barbera property. Although now, they don't even want to spend the money on "Looney Tunes." The B&W Porky set came out through Warner Archive because WHV (which has "first refusal") wasn't going to do a comprehensive set of black and white cartoons. Despite its shortcomings, I am very happy to have that set, though I sure would have liked if they had expanded the parameters slightly to also include any B&W cartoons with Daffy Duck (and maybe Beans) as well. Between this and the Golden Collections, most have been released but I believe there are a small number left in the vault and I don't know in what venue they could see release at this point.

I remember a re-release of the Huckleberry Hound DVD set (minus the extras, which would include all the bumpers) for Hanna-Barbera's anniversary where they tossed out a whole bunch of cheap bare-bones reissues. Where else has Huck been re-released? I know of a few cartoons that slipped out on the old "Cartoon Crack-Ups" DVD and that "Best Of Warner Bros." set (which also gave us the USA Cartoon Express edit of the Yogi Bear show opening from 1985, albeit not accompanied by any actual Yogi cartoons).

I don't know what the situation was in the Beta/VHS era, but it's true that Worldvision Home Video did release some Quick Draw McGraw cartoons. I wonder if that slipped by under the radar -- prior to DVD, TV shows weren't being released in comprehensive sets and aside from "Star Trek," the video business was driven by movies, movies, movies and more movies, with TV as an afterthought. It's possible that while the music rights situation would have existed then, maybe no one cared too much until the "TV on DVD" boom happened and there was "real money" involved. I dunno, just a guess.

Last edited:

Greg Chenoweth

Supporting Actor
I remember a re-release of the Huckleberry Hound DVD set (minus the extras, which would include all the bumpers) for Hanna-Barbera's anniversary where they tossed out a whole bunch of cheap bare-bones reissues. Where else has Huck been re-released? I know of a few cartoons that slipped out on the old "Cartoon Crack-Ups" DVD and that "Best Of Warner Bros." set (which also gave us the USA Cartoon Express edit of the Yogi Bear show opening from 1985, albeit not accompanied by any actual Yogi cartoons).
WHV released a single disc from the Huck box set, just the first disc, in a stand alone release a year after the box set was released. They have also released Spanish and French versions of either the box set or single discs around the world. My contention is that if it was such a poor selling release in the USA, they would not keep putting out various disc releases throughout the world, or even in America.

Recently, WHV put out a "4 Kids Favorite Dog Pound Pack" set that included the first disc of the Huckleberry Hound set, the first disc of the Hong Kong Phooey set, the first disc of the Droopy set and the first disc of the Dastardly and Muttley in their Flying Machines set; it was released in 2017 and is still available from Amazon.

For Huck, VHS releases included over 10 videocassette releases; many of those were low budget releases with only four cartoons on the tapes at department stores in the KIDDIE KLASSICS series. Quick Draw had about five or six releases. Also, I lived in England for three and a half years and every Huck and Quick Draw cartoon was available to own on VHS tapes put out by Turner Broadcasting. No music licensing issues with those releases.

I think WHV has put out the one and only Huck set and is just fine sitting back and enjoying milking those same 22 cartoon shows in different releases and is using "poor sales" and "music licensing" as excuses for not restoring the rest of the cartoons to put out on home video.

Ken_Martinez

Second Unit
Real Name
Ken
I'm a little confused as how things in terms of WBHE and Warner Archive and who can release what.

I'm made to understand that only WBHE can release Scooby Doo and Tom and Jerry. They had jurisdiction over Smurfs at the time of the Sony movies, but who knows what going on now.

So, where does that leave everything else? With the Jetsons in particular, the same episodes will have been released by both WBHE and WAC. IS this a care where the two divisions can "share" properties and resources? Is this a result of the At&T buyouy?

Reactions: Sean Thompson

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NC_Mike