What's new

Next Hanna-Barbera set? (2 Viewers)

Mark Y

Screenwriter
I'm sure that was the idea of cartoon express showing lots of short cartoons but in Southern California any show with at least 13 episodes was shown in syndication in the 70's and 80's. They would run it for 6 months and then change. They had to since the majority of HB and other Saturday morning shows were only 1 original season.
I very distinctly remember watching Wheelie and the Chopper Bunch (1974) syndicated in 1979 each morning before I went to school in 7th grade. That show had only 13 episodes and I never realized there were that few.

"The Jetsons" was a staple of NBC's Saturday morning lineup in reruns for many years. So I was somewhat surprised one day in the 1970s to see it listed on WGN-Channel 9 in Chicago. They briefly ran it on Saturday mornings (and at that time, while Saturday morning was the "day of cartoons" for the networks, local stations would shy away from them, preferring "counter-programming" like old movies).

Later WFLD-Channel 32 picked up "The Jetsons" and initially ran it only once a week on Sunday mornings, presumably due to the small number of episodes. Although by the 1980s, they were running it on weekdays, usually during the summer.

WFLD usually had a lineup that started in the fall and would mostly stay the same until June (though it might be tweaked a little in January). As far as their cartoon lineup went, by the late 1970s they often ran their most popular cartoons like Woody Woodpecker, Tom & Jerry and the Flintstones twice a day during what I would call the "school year" (roughly September into June).

In the summertime it was different, I guess because overall viewing was generally down. I remember preferring the summer lineups because they had more variety, and some shows only ran in the summer because they weren't as popular. And they usually didn't run shows twice a day during the summer (although there were occasional exceptions), leaving more room for other shows.

The summer lineups usually stayed the same from June into early September, but I remember one summer they pulled "The Jetsons" after about a month and switched to "Underdog." (They brought it back the following year.) Maybe this also had to do with the small number of episodes.

WFLD usually had the same lineup Monday through Friday, but I remember one year they had something called "Cartoon Festival" which featured a different show scheduled for each weekday. Again, these were all short-run series. It's a long time ago but I think this lineup consisted of "The Jetsons," "The Brady Kids," "Valley Of The Dinosaurs" and the animated "Star Trek." Either I am forgetting the fifth series or one of them aired on two days.

ponset

Screenwriter
Real Name
scott
Sad to hear that Curly Neal of the Harlem Globetrotters passed away at 78.
First saw him and Globetrotters on the New Scooby-Doo Movies, Produce by Hanna-Barbera.

scoobyMoviesCurly.jpg

ClassicTVMan1981X

Screenwriter
Real Name
Benjamin
I am finishing up disc 2 of my Paw Paws DVD set, and to my surprise, I found the original Swirling Star logo at the end of these two episodes on it so far! They are...
"The Lost Lake Monster" (episode 18, aired 1/12/86)

"The Totem Time Trap" (episode 19, aired 1/19/86)

I will provide you with an update on the last two.

UPDATE:
Also confirmed intact on episode 20, "S'no Business" (1/26/86) - three down and one to go!
And also on episode 21, "The Zip Zap 4-D Trap" (2/2/86) -- all finished!

Surprise discoveries like this make me want to ask you this: on all those Hanna-Barbera DVD sets you have that otherwise have the 1994 Comedy All-Stars logo replacing such older logos like the one I mention, which of those sets do you have actually have one of those older logos intact on a few episodes? I do know so far Warner Archive's DVD release of Josie and the Pussycats in Outer Space does keep the original H-B Box intact on one episode.

~Ben

Last edited:

Mark Y

Screenwriter
I am finishing up disc 2 of my Paw Paws DVD set, and to my surprise, I found the original Swirling Star logo at the end of these two episodes on it so far! They are...
"The Lost Lake Monster" (episode 18, aired 1/12/86)

"The Totem Time Trap" (episode 19, aired 1/19/86)

I will provide you with an update on the last two.

UPDATE:
Also confirmed intact on episode 20, "S'no Business" (1/26/86) - three down and one to go!
And also on episode 21, "The Zip Zap 4-D Trap" (2/2/86) -- all finished!

Surprise discoveries like this make me want to ask you this: on all those Hanna-Barbera DVD sets you have that otherwise have the 1994 Comedy All-Stars logo replacing such older logos like the one I mention, which of those sets do you have actually have one of those older logos intact on a few episodes? I do know so far Warner Archive's DVD release of Josie and the Pussycats in Outer Space does keep the original H-B Box intact on one episode.

~Ben

Only one? What's up with that?

One thing which was disappointing to me was, as joyful as I was/am to have an episode of The Banana Splits Adventure Hour on Saturday Morning Cartoons 1970s Volume 2 -- a release which tried to present shows in their original vintage form -- they went as far as mastering the first episode from a one-inch video dub complete with Kellogg's billboards and commercial bumpers...

...and then they cut off the Hanna-Barbera logo at the end. SMH

ClassicTVMan1981X

Screenwriter
Real Name
Benjamin
Only one? What's up with that?

One thing which was disappointing to me was, as joyful as I was/am to have an episode of The Banana Splits Adventure Hour on Saturday Morning Cartoons 1970s Volume 2 -- a release which tried to present shows in their original vintage form -- they went as far as mastering the first episode from a one-inch video dub complete with Kellogg's billboards and commercial bumpers...

...and then they cut off the Hanna-Barbera logo at the end. SMH
Forgot to add:
One episode of Wacky Races on DVD keeps the original logo, if you turn on the Easter Eggs feature.

~Ben

ClassicTVMan1981X

Screenwriter
Real Name
Benjamin
My wish list for 2021 for Hanna-Barbera and Ruby-Spears shows on DVD:

Hanna-Barbera
Touche Turtle and Dum-Dum (1962-1963)
The Adventures of Gulliver (1968)
Cattanooga Cats (1969)/Motormouse & Autocat (1969-1970)
The Flintstone Comedy Hour (1972-1973)
These Are the Days (1974-1975)
The Mumbly Cartoon Show (1976)
CB Bears (60 minutes) (1977)
Skatebirds (60 minutes) (1977)/The Three Robonic Stooges (1977-1978)
Yogi's Space Race (90 minutes) (1978)
Jana of the Jungle (1978)
The New Fred and Barney Show (1979)
Casper and the Angels (1979)
The New Shmoo (1979)
The Richie Rich/Scooby-Doo Show (volumes 2-3) (1980-1981)
The Flintstone Comedy Show (90 minutes) (1980-1981)
Trollkins (1981)
The Gary Coleman Show (1982)
Yogi's Treasure Hunt (1985-1988)
Wildfire (1986)
The (New) Yogi Bear Show (1988)
Fantastic Max (1988-1989)
Tom & Jerry Kids (seasons 2-4) (1991-1993)
Fish Police (1992)
The Addams Family (1992 animated series) (1992-1993)
Droopy: Master Detective (1993)

Ruby-Spears
Fangface (1978)/Fangface and Fangpuss (1979-1980)
Mighty Man and Yukk! (1979-1980)
Rickety Rocket (1979-1980)
The Plastic Man/Baby Plas Super Comedy Show (1980)
Heathcliff and Marmaduke (1981)
Goldie Gold and Action Jack (1981)
Rubik the Amazing Cube (1983)
Mister T (seasons 2-3, 1984-1985)
Turbo Teen (1984)
Lazer Tag Academy (1986)
Police Academy: The Animated Series (volume 2) (1988)

MOST PROBABLE FOR RELEASE:

~Ben

Last edited:

HB-cool

Agent
Real Name
Dmytro
Does anyone know if the BLURAY version of the Jetsons first season have title cards on the beginning with the names of each episodes like its on the DVD version? I see the small episode on youtube but its not indicating any name titles before the episode (( so this means it goes without them?

HB-cool

Agent
Real Name
Dmytro
My wish list for 2021 for Hanna-Barbera and Ruby-Spears shows on DVD:

Hanna-Barbera
Touche Turtle and Dum-Dum (1962-1963)
The Adventures of Gulliver (1968)
Cattanooga Cats (1969)/Motormouse & Autocat (1969-1970)
The Flintstone Comedy Hour (1972-1973)
These Are the Days (1974-1975)
The Mumbly Cartoon Show (1976)
CB Bears (60 minutes) (1977)
Skatebirds (60 minutes) (1977)/The Three Robonic Stooges (1977-1978)
Yogi's Space Race (90 minutes) (1978)
Jana of the Jungle (1978)
The New Fred and Barney Show (1979)
Casper and the Angels (1979)
The New Shmoo (1979)
The Richie Rich/Scooby-Doo Show (volumes 2-3) (1980-1981)
The Flintstone Comedy Show (90 minutes) (1980-1981)
Trollkins (1981)
The Gary Coleman Show (1982)
Wildfire (1986)
The (New) Yogi Bear Show (1988)
Tom & Jerry Kids (seasons 2-4) (1991-1993)
Fish Police (1992)
Droopy: Master Detective (1993)

Ruby-Spears
Mighty Man and Yukk! (1979-1980)
Rickety Rocket (1979-1980)
The Plastic Man/Baby Plas Super Comedy Show (1980)
Heathcliff and Marmaduke (1981)
Goldie Gold and Action Jack (1981)
Rubik the Amazing Cube (1983)
Mister T (seasons 2-3, 1984-1985)
Turbo Teen (1984)
Lazer Tag Academy (1986)
Police Academy: The Animated Series (volume 2) (1988)

~Ben
you forgot about Yogi's Treasure Hunt!!!

seanrt

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Sean
Does anyone know if the BLURAY version of the Jetsons first season have title cards on the beginning with the names of each episodes like its on the DVD version? I see the small episode on youtube but its not indicating any name titles before the episode (( so this means it goes without them?
No, it doesn’t. The title cards were added in the 80s to make the episodes fit a look to go with the new episodes that had total cards, if I remember right.

HB-cool

Agent
Real Name
Dmytro
damn, so its just like flintstone and addams family, that goes also without title cards with episode names? this is really strange, why the WB removed them in this version? I dont understand. And what about Jonny quest bluray? its also whithout titles with episode names?

ClassicTVMan1981X

Screenwriter
Real Name
Benjamin
damn, so its just like flintstone and addams family, that goes also without title cards with episode names? this is really strange, why the WB removed them in this version? I dont understand. And what about Jonny quest bluray? its also whithout titles with episode names?
Both the 1964 and 1986 versions of Jonny Quest have title cards with episode names for each episode. But the BR version of the JQ set has a more complete version of the opening title theme, with Don Messick announcing: "Jonny Quest. Brought to you by..."

Richie Rich (1980-83) and The Little Rascals (1982-83), however, had title cards but no episode names onscreen, meaning you could only identify these by the plot of the series.

~Ben

Mark Y

Screenwriter
damn, so its just like flintstone and addams family, that goes also without title cards with episode names? this is really strange, why the WB removed them in this version? I dont understand.

It wasn't a case of removing them. They went back to the original versions of the episodes, which never had them. Those weren't added until they were re-syndicated alongside newly-produced episodes in 1985. At the time they also re-recorded the theme song with electronic drums and replaced the "Jane, stop this crazy thing" closing with generic end credits. Thankfully, both of those have since reverted back to the original versions.

ClassicTVMan1981X

Screenwriter
Real Name
Benjamin
It wasn't a case of removing them. They went back to the original versions of the episodes, which never had them. Those weren't added until they were re-syndicated alongside newly-produced episodes in 1985. At the time they also re-recorded the theme song with electronic drums and replaced the "Jane, stop this crazy thing" closing with generic end credits. Thankfully, both of those have since reverted back to the original versions.
The only thing the Jetsons BR set still does not have in the closing credits is the ABC-TV Network Presentation card: "This Has Been an ABC Television Network Presentation." They did keep the Screen Gems mention alive.

~Ben

HB-cool

Agent
Real Name
Dmytro
thanks for this explanation. I think then I will keep both versions in my collection: DVD version and blu-ray version. I wont sell dvd version, cuz they have title cards with names of the episodes. In the childhood I had a strange hobby, when I was a kid. I was trying to note every name of the episodes I could watch and find on a TV in my paper notebook (it was not only HB cartoons, but WB / universal walter lants / mgm cartoons as well). And I was so sad when I noticed that flintstones and addams family and many more HB cartoons dont have names. for example a part of the "hey its the hair bear bunch" series have names but some dont, just like "captain caveman and teen angels". At least I dont see them on DVD versions!

ClassicTVMan1981X

Screenwriter
Real Name
Benjamin
thanks for this explanation. I think then I will keep both versions in my collection: DVD version and blu-ray version. I wont sell dvd version, cuz they have title cards with names of the episodes. In the childhood I had a strange hobby, when I was a kid. I was trying to note every name of the episodes I could watch and find on a TV in my paper notebook (it was not only HB cartoons, but WB / universal walter lants / mgm cartoons as well). And I was so sad when I noticed that flintstones and addams family and many more HB cartoons dont have names. for example a part of the "hey its the hair bear bunch" series have names but some dont, just like "captain caveman and teen angels". At least I dont see them on DVD versions!
The 1977-78 season was the first in which some H-B cartoon series had episode titles with names in them. Such segments with these title cards with episode names included those for The All-New Super Friends Hour (two-hero team-up; Wonder Twins; the all-heroes half-hour segment; and the hero and guest team-up), Scooby's All-Star Laff-A-Lympics (the eight new Scooby-Doo '76 episodes), Skatebirds (The Robonic Stooges; Wonder Wheels), and CB Bears (all six segments: CB Bears; Heyyy, It's the King!; Blast-Off Buzzard; Posse Impossible; Shake, Rattle & Roll; and Undercover Elephant).

~Ben

ClassicTVMan1981X

Screenwriter
Real Name
Benjamin
I would really like to see The Flintstones on bluray. And It's the Wolf!
Yes, indeed, as this year marks the 60th anniversary of the original series that Me-TV is still showing right now!

However, the first two seasons (and two or three episodes from the third season: "Dino Goes Hollyrock," "Fred's New Boss" and maybe also "The Twitch"), all of these using the "Rise and Shine" theme song in the main and end titles, were produced in color but originally broadcast on ABC in monochrome.

~Ben

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks