1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Next Hanna-Barbera set?

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Matthew Green, Oct 6, 2004.

1. Randy Korstick

Randy Korstick Producer

I had a few of the HB Laserdiscs most were 1 cartoon character and a couple that had mixes of lesser characters. I wish I kept them. I still have about 800 laserdiscs but at one time had over 2,000. I had a few of these on VHS too. No complete shows but some had all the cartoons of one character. I never bought the Flinstones Laserdisc because I was not interested in a best of only the complete series. I was collecting that on VHS through Columbia house (4 episodes per tape) but they stopped half way through the 2nd season.

2. Mark Y

Mark Y Screenwriter

I never had any Laserdiscs. I rented a few of the "Personal Favorites" tapes hosted by Bill and Joe. The "Animal Follies" one had a Ruff & Reddy storyline among other characters. H-B also did a series of tapes which were samplers of various characters, like for instance "Peter Potamus And Friends in 'Hippo To Go.'" You never knew who would show up on those tapes. (They might have been grouped by theme.) I remember I rented a bunch of them at Blockbuster and kept a notebook of which cartoons were on which ones. Of course, I have no idea what happened to that notebook.

Randy Korstick likes this.
  3. ClassicTVMan1981X

ClassicTVMan1981X Screenwriter

Benjamin
    The Scooby-Doo Personal Favorites set included the first episode of Scooby-Doo, Where Are You ("What a Night for a Knight") among others, but that was presented with the New Scooby-Doo Movies-style intro sequence which at the end dissolved into the SDWAY episode title (obviously, this was from a 1975-76 CBS print).

~Ben

4. Mark Y

Mark Y Screenwriter

Did they actually air that way? I have no memory of that at all.

5. Message #4585 of 4667 Aug 6, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2019
    ClassicTVMan1981X

Benjamin
    On CBS Saturday mornings, from February 1, 1975 to August 7, 1976. The commercial bumpers seen in this later run also used the same music from The New Scooby-Doo Movies. The closing credits for this occasion combined the staff from both seasons of the series, seen against a still of Scooby's head, using most of the full version of an instrumental version of the NSDM theme tune. The end logo was the 1974 H-B Rainbow.

~Ben

6. Mark Y

Mark Y Screenwriter

Can this be seen anywhere?

7. ClassicTVMan1981X

Benjamin
    The only proof we have right now is the audio for the closing theme from that timeframe.

~Ben

8. HB-cool

HB-cool Agent

Dmytro
    was looking today the Lippy the lion DVD, Im totally not satisfied of the quality, some cartoons has different colorization in different moments of the series, end title (just like some opening and cartoons also) has Ugly white vertical stripe in the left corner of the screen!!! Im shocked why they kept this stripe in one moment and deleted this in other.. this is rediculous and irresponsible work. Im dissapointed at all

9. Sonic Knight

Sonic Knight Auditioning

Eden Wong
    I had only watched a small part of these cartoons when they were on TV but I could feel that they are very wonderful programs. I missed out most of them. The first two were from Hanna Barbera while the other was from Ruby-Spears. Is Warner Video able to release complete series sets on demand?

1. Pound Puppies (1986), All-New Pound Puppies and season sets of Pound Puppies (2010)
    2. The Further Adventures of Superted
    3. Heathcliff and Marmaduke

I just listed a few important titles. There are many others that need to be on DVD too.
    For those shows that are not on DVD and if fans desperately want to watch them in clear quality at the size of the TV screen, are there any solutions?

I don't know how youtube video will appear on a big TV screen but the quality is usually lesser for older programs.

Is there a personal purchase service for overseas enthusiasts who want them?

10. Mark Y

Mark Y Screenwriter

They are what they are. They all look and sound better than they ever did on TV. Back in those days syndicated cartoons were distributed as 16mm film prints. See here:

https://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/did-syndication-prints-really-look-this-bad.320757/

Some are better than others. There was mention of Warner actually having negatives for some (I am guessing they would still be 16mm) so I am guessing that's the reason why. They certainly have better elements for, say, Huck and Yogi.

I have seen things like DVNR used on cartoons and it does more harm than good. The more signal processing, the more compromised the image.

It would be nice if they could be cleaned up to the degree of, say, the Looney Tunes Golden Collections. But there, they had color separations in 35mm and were able to beautifully restore them. These shorts don't have that luxury as far as the remaining original elements go. In fact, Warner is on record as not wanting to release Touche Turtle because the available prints aren't considered good enough.

My answer to that is, number one, I appreciate the efforts to make these the best they can be. But at some point, with certain things, they don't have things like negatives and color separations -- what should they do, not release them at all?

11. Message #4591 of 4667 Aug 9, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2019
    Garysb

Garysb Producer

The Jetsons original 1962 season is coming to blu ray Sept 10 . $30
    https://www.wbshop.com/collections/warner-archive

Meet George Jetson...Jane, his wife... daughter Judy...his boy, Elroy..." The catchy theme tune for The Jetsons ideally captures the lighthearted essence of the show, a futuristic counterpoint to The Flintstones that reflected the space-age optimism of the times. The Jetsons were the very first family, animated or not, to have a big-screen home entertainment system decades before it became a reality. They also had flying cars, floating cities and androids, all commonplace scenery in today's most popular sci-fi blockbusters. Now this beloved series teletransports onto Blu-ray, all 24 hilarious Season One episodes - plus soaring extras!

[​IMG]

12. HB-cool

HB-cool Agent

Dmytro
    Yes Marky - you are right of course. I understand that they dont have enough source material to do as much quality they can, but i guess they even dont want to find out, course I know that for example thunderbean staff are always looking for source material in different places, even in the private colletor's shelves. maybe there are still somewhere the better quality of some episodes.

13. rmw650

rmw650 Second Unit

Richard W
    Wondering if they're going to release the final two seasons on the Blu-Ray format in the not too distant future to complete the series?

ClassicTVMan1981X likes this.
  14. ClassicTVMan1981X

Benjamin
    But what I would like to know is if this set is going to have its 24 episodes spread across four discs (just like the DVD version)?

~Ben

15. Friendsfa32

Friendsfa32 Stunt Coordinator

Jason
    according to TVShowsonDVD's FB page, the studio has not given them ANY info on rather or not the episodes of The Jetsons are actually restored with original intro/end credits and NO title cards etc., of if they are infact just blatant copies of the previously released DVD set.

16. Randy Korstick

Randy Korstick Producer

But since those where made over 20 plus year later and for Saturday morning instead of prime time they are really more of a spin off series than a true season 2-3. They call them seasons 2-3 because they showed them all in reruns for syndication that way which is why the title cards were adding to the original series. I love the original Jetsons but will definitely pass on season 2-3. I tried the 1st part of season 2 on DVD to see if my opinion of them changed but I couldn't finish it. But hopefully it comes out for those that want it. I really hope the blu ray is indeed presented as originally seen and as shown in reruns in the 70's with original credits and no titles cards.

Mark Y likes this.
  17. ClassicTVMan1981X

Benjamin
  18. JoeDoakes

JoeDoakes Cinematographer

Ray
    That's a good point. I think that when Shout! released Underdog or Tennessee Tuxedo or something, they also used collector prints to complete the shows (although maybe not to get the best possible image). To my knowledge, Warner as a whole has largely shied away from using prints from other sources.

19. HB-cool

HB-cool Agent

Dmytro
    yeah. I really would like to see someday Flip the frog will be finished by thunderbean. they do very cool work. they never have been released before. its MGM, not Hanna-barberra, but still cool!! Hanna berbera deserves a better look of course. but wb dont want to do as much as they can(( they are just laze and far away from enthuasists I guess.

20. Mark Y

Mark Y Screenwriter

Well, the "new" Jetsons ran weekdays in syndication. I tried to watch them but despite the same format and voice cast, it didn't work for me.