What's new

Next Hanna-Barbera set? (2 Viewers)

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
I think this is the main reason why the Wally Gator show with all 3 cartoons that was announced in 2007 by WHV was cancelled. Also another reason why WAC chose to release these separately.

ClassicTVMan1981X

Screenwriter
Real Name
Benjamin
I think this is the main reason why the Wally Gator show with all 3 cartoons that was announced in 2007 by WHV was cancelled. Also another reason why WAC chose to release these separately.
Let's be thankful we have two-thirds of this series right now! And to buy these two to convince the WAC boys to work on more...

~Ben

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
I guess the lack of negatives means a lower quality image. For those who have viewed them, how bad is the worst image quality on the Wally Gator and Lippy releases?

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
I guess the lack of negatives means a lower quality image. For those who have viewed them, how bad is the worst image quality on the Wally Gator and Lippy releases?
There are a couple on each set that are not too good and a bit snowy. I would say the couple that are bad look worse than pumpkin puss and mush mouse which was the worst looking cartoon on Magilla Gorilla. The rest of them look slightly better than Pumpkin Puss and Mush Mouse

Mark Y

Screenwriter
A few of the cartoons look kind of grainy. Kind of like how Wally looked on USA, or how Touche looked on the Family Channel. But most look significantly better.

Mark Y

Screenwriter
why not just release whatever you have in lesser quality, for DVD only, and everything that CAN be restored to high quality for both DVD AND Blu-Ray?

at this point these shows are so old,
we just want them released regardless.

This sounds like a great approach to me! Between "issues with the elements" and music rights problems, think of all the stuff that's been held back, for too many YEARS. The "window" will eventually be closing, to the point where those of us who want these shows won't be here any more.

Tezzer_Badischlivk

Auditioning
Real Name
Matt
I still hope for Touché to come soon. I received my copy of Lippy - I was a little disappointed at first because sometimes the frame would drop off screen, making the image shake, but I soon got over that. Each episode is very clear, but some do appear grainy - almost like having a filter over it. It's subtle enough to enjoy the show however. Great effort for an unexpected home media release. I still need to grab Wally.

Mark Y

Screenwriter
I still hope for Touché to come soon. I received my copy of Lippy - I was a little disappointed at first because sometimes the frame would drop off screen, making the image shake, but I soon got over that. Each episode is very clear, but some do appear grainy - almost like having a filter over it. It's subtle enough to enjoy the show however. Great effort for an unexpected home media release. I still need to grab Wally.

As viewers, we have (happily) been spoiled with improved picture and sound quality for older shows. Check out You Tube some time for a glimpse of how syndicated reruns looked and sounded when played on local TV stations via a 16mm film chain.

I'm glad things have gotten better! But this also has resulted in a viewing audience accustomed to a high standard of quality. And if the source material on some shows don't meet those standards, studios are afraid to release them in fear of bad reviews since to contemporary audiences, what used to be "just how they look on TV" is now unacceptably lousy quality. This is why the Banana Splits (just to name one show) wasn't released on DVD over a decade ago.

JamesSmith

Senior HTF Member
Jerry Beck on a Touché Turtle release - “They have prints of everything but a lack of negatives. That’s the problem. Wally Gator and Lippy the Lion had a higher percentage of negatives available. They are undecided on whether they should release Touché Turtle or not, so if you want them to, make your voice heard.”

Can somebody explain a bit further on how a lack of negatives, but still having prints can cause issues with the DVD releases?

James

dawnshadow

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dawn
They just think it’s not of high enough quality to release. The majority of Wally Gator and Lippy the lion looked better so they decided to release those.

Mark Y

Screenwriter
That being said, I still think they are working on it so it can be judged good enough to be released.

~Ben

I hope so. Let's face it, Hanna-Barbera cartoons are not "Citizen Kane." I hate to sound like a "Classic Media" type bean-counter, but the kind of person who would buy a Touche Turtle DVD set is the kind of person who already bought Wally and Lippy, and likely watched them when they were new. I think it's safe to say that for the most part, although not remastered/"restored" in the familiar sense, Wally and Lippy on DVD look much better than they ever looked on TV.

Don't get me wrong -- if they have the material and can do wonderful restorations, by all means bring it on! But they are what they are. I'll still enjoy them if they don't look like the latest PIXAR movie.

ChrisALM

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris
I have just finished going through the Wally Gator set. I am disappointed that a full remastering wasn't done for these cartoons, but the set is certainly worth buying. I don't remember seeing these look better. And it is complete, which is much better than a "Best of" release.

I plan on getting the Lippy set and hope Touche Turtle is soon to follow and will pick it up as well. I watched these cartoons when they originally aired and Wally Gator was always my favorite, followed by Lippy and then Touche.

After these three, I wonder if there is any hope for a Ruff and Reddy release? I never saw the original run, but when I got a Give-a Show projector for Christmas one year, it had a Ruff and Reddy slide set and I remember wondering where that cartoon came from. Only later, I found out it was an actual HB show predating Huck and Yogi.

ClassicTVMan1981X

Screenwriter
Real Name
Benjamin
I have just finished going through the Wally Gator set. I am disappointed that a full remastering wasn't done for these cartoons, but the set is certainly worth buying. I don't remember seeing these look better. And it is complete, which is much better than a "Best of" release.

I plan on getting the Lippy set and hope Touche Turtle is soon to follow and will pick it up as well. I watched these cartoons when they originally aired and Wally Gator was always my favorite, followed by Lippy and then Touche.

After these three, I wonder if there is any hope for a Ruff and Reddy release? I never saw the original run, but when I got a Give-a Show projector for Christmas one year, it had a Ruff and Reddy slide set and I remember wondering where that cartoon came from. Only later, I found out it was an actual HB show predating Huck and Yogi.
Besides these, I'm still hoping for...
1. The Fantastic Four (1967-68)
2. The Adventures of Gulliver (1968)
3. Cattanooga Cats (1969)
4. The Flintstone Comedy Hour (CBS) (1972-73)
5. These Are the Days (1974-75)
6. The (New) Tom & Jerry/Grape Ape Show (1975)
7. The Mumbly Cartoon Show (1976)
8. The Scooby-Doo/Dynomutt Hour (1976) (already out on DVD, yes... but I mean for them to get it re-released with the original opening and closing titles covering both segments)
9. CB Bears (full 1-hour series) (1977)
10. Skatebirds (full 1-hour series with the chopped Clue Club reruns airing under the name Woofer and Whimper: Dog Detectives) (1977)
11. Yogi's Space Race (full 90-minute series) (1978)
12. Jana of the Jungle (1978)
13. The New Fred and Barney Show (1979)
14. Casper and the Angels (1979)
15. The Thing (1979)
16. The New Shmoo (1979)
17. The Flintstone Comedy Show (NBC) (1980-81)
18. Trollkins (1981)
19. The Gary Coleman Show (1982)
20. Yogi's Treasure Hunt (1985-88)
21. Wildfire (1986)
22. Foofur (1986-87)

~Ben

Last edited:

Mark Y

Screenwriter

IINM Ruff & Reddy are affected by music rights issues as well as elements like Wally/Lippy/Touche. A lot of library music was used in those.

Mark Y

Screenwriter
Besides these, I'm still hoping for...
1. The Fantastic Four (1967-68)
2. The Adventures of Gulliver (1968)
3. Cattanooga Cats (1969)
4. The Flintstone Comedy Hour (CBS) (1972-73)
5. These Are the Days (1974-75)
6. The (New) Tom & Jerry/Grape Ape Show (1975)
7. The Mumbly Cartoon Show (1976)
8. The Scooby-Doo/Dynomutt Hour (1976) (already out on DVD, yes... but I mean for them to get it re-released with the original opening and closing titles covering both segments)
9. CB Bears (full 1-hour series) (1977)
10. Skatebirds (full 1-hour series with the chopped Clue Club reruns airing under the name Woofer and Whimper: Dog Detectives) (1977)
11. Yogi's Space Race (full 90-minute series) (1978)
12. Jana of the Jungle (1978)
13. The New Fred and Barney Show (1979)
14. Casper and the Angels (1979)
15. The Thing (1979)
16. The New Shmoo (1979)
17. The Flintstone Comedy Show (NBC) (1980-81)
18. Trollkins (1981)
19. The Gary Coleman Show (1982)
20. Yogi's Treasure Hunt (1985-88)
21. Wildfire (1986)
22. Foofur (1986-87)

~Ben

I don't know why it never occurred to me to look into this, but the other day I was looking on Ebay for the Flintstones Laserdisc set (which from what I've read, included the "ABC Presentation" at the end as well as some Winston commercials) and I'd forgotten about this, but there was a laserdisc release for "The Flintstone Comedy Show" (1980 series).

Now, it was not a complete series, just a one-shot thing like the VHS releases of the time. But it's something.

What else came out on Laserdisc? I'm thinking at least some of Quick Draw McGraw did. But following the "business model" of that time, they probably would be just Quick Draw only, and from 1970s 16mm TV prints of the cartoons.

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
I don't know why it never occurred to me to look into this, but the other day I was looking on Ebay for the Flintstones Laserdisc set (which from what I've read, included the "ABC Presentation" at the end as well as some Winston commercials) and I'd forgotten about this, but there was a laserdisc release for "The Flintstone Comedy Show" (1980 series).

Now, it was not a complete series, just a one-shot thing like the VHS releases of the time. But it's something.

What else came out on Laserdisc? I'm thinking at least some of Quick Draw McGraw did. But following the "business model" of that time, they probably would be just Quick Draw only, and from 1970s 16mm TV prints of the cartoons.

I Googled Hanna-Barbera Laserdiscs and quite a lot showed up in images. Here's a few.

01619.jpg

12b5d927027cf382e55ae7530a3de621.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlohaTiger
Recent bookmarks