What's new

Next Hanna-Barbera set? (4 Viewers)

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
Now you've got me wondering if they produced closing segments for all three characters? Could there have been longer intros produced as well?

Who knows -- this stuff could be out there among film collectors. I still want to find the Magilla Gorilla show opening with Breezly & Sneezly in it.
I remember this show really well and in my market there were only end credits over Lippy the Lion. With stations labeling it as the Wally Gator show they all would have shown the Wally cartoon 1st. But Touche could have been 3rd in other markets so I think its pretty safe to assume that there never was an end Credits for Wally but there could be one for Touche Turtle.

Tezzer_Badischlivk

Auditioning
Real Name
Matt
Shame to hear there's a glitch with the Lippy DVD set. Is it just on the opening/title card? Doesn't show up and ruin the actual episode? I put a pre-order in with Amazon USA (I'm based in the UK) but it hasn't shipped.

Anyone willing to upload photos of the set? Curious to see the cover art. :)

Mark Y

Screenwriter
Shame to hear there's a glitch with the Lippy DVD set. Is it just on the opening/title card? Doesn't show up and ruin the actual episode? I put a pre-order in with Amazon USA (I'm based in the UK) but it hasn't shipped.

Anyone willing to upload photos of the set? Curious to see the cover art. :)

So far the only glitch I have found is on the title card for that one cartoon. And even that might have been intentional -- though I consider it a screw-up -- instead of fading in, the title card appears one tiny square at a time. Since 1962 cartoon titles are supposed to look like 1980s video games. [/sarcasm]

In many cases it looks like they "remastered" the series' intro and cut it back onto the individual cartoons. Sometimes it's in much better shape than the cartoon that follows it.

Mark Y

Screenwriter
I remember this show really well and in my market there were only end credits over Lippy the Lion. With stations labeling it as the Wally Gator show they all would have shown the Wally cartoon 1st. But Touche could have been 3rd in other markets so I think its pretty safe to assume that there never was an end Credits for Wally but there could be one for Touche Turtle.

There are reports of the cartoons airing in some markets with Touche Turtle as the lead character.

Bradskey

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Brad Davis
The Lippy glitch is just a fancy "transition" effect between the show opening and the title card on a single episode (so far). It doesn't really detract from anything. As the combination of intro and title card/episode may be a reconstruction, the transition effect looks like something that may have simply been accidentally inserted in a digital video authoring tool.

Mark Y

Screenwriter
It's been pretty quiet regarding any further releases. Now I really want Touche Turtle. I hope they don't leave us hanging. Lippy was announced almost immediately as Wally was released. On the other hand, it was 10 years between Magilla Gorilla and Peter Potamus.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
It's been pretty quiet regarding any further releases. Now I really want Touche Turtle. I hope they don't leave us hanging. Lippy was announced almost immediately as Wally was released. On the other hand, it was 10 years between Magilla Gorilla and Peter Potamus.
I still think Touche Turtle will be coming in August. But It might be the end of August. I think they remastered all 3 at the same time and then decided to release them separately.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
I should hope so... I have so far delayed buying these DVDs until I see all of the reviews of how they are.

~Ben
These were in really bad shape which is why they have never looked good on boomerang or cartoon network and why the complete wally gator show announced by WHV in 2007 was cancelled. So there is only so much we can expect from the remastering. They look better than they have in a long time but there are still a few in bad shape. A full restoration would be needed to get them looking pristine and that isn't realistic from a financial side.
To clarify by complete Wally Gator show I mean the 3 cartoons put together for one show which is how most stations showed them. There are no Wally Gator show opening/Closings and connecting parts. But there were show credits that ran over Lippy the Lion which was the 3rd cartoon in my market. They just reused the Lippy the Lion opening to run the credits over.

Last edited:

Mark Y

Screenwriter
I still think Touche Turtle will be coming in August. But It might be the end of August. I think they remastered all 3 at the same time and then decided to release them separately.

I don't pay attention to the stuff they have on their streaming app or whatever it is. Is Touche on there?

dawnshadow

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dawn
They always announce the next month’s titles at the end of the month. That’s the only reason Lippy was announced so close to the release of Wally Gator. Touché could be coming out early August and they still wouldn’t have announced it yet.

ClassicTVMan1981X

Screenwriter
Real Name
Benjamin
On FB, WAC just announced the complete original series for The Jetsons for Blu-ray, so that looks to be coming next month!
Very cool! I hope these episodes will be presented as they were prior to 1985, with no episode title cards after the opening credits.

However, as before, the closing credits will be awkward. First, they originally ended with "A Screen Gems Film Presentation" and then after the song ends, we see "This Has Been an ABC Television Network Presentation," but as WB does not have the rights to use those two trademarks legally, they will be deleted.

~Ben

Last edited:

ClassicTVMan1981X

Screenwriter
Real Name
Benjamin
I got my Paw Paws DVD, and I was disappointed that none of the two original "Swirling Star" logos stayed... but instead, there was this at the end:

As I said before, this series was one of the three original programs to make up the first lineup of The Funtastic World of Hanna-Barbera syndication block in the fall of 1985, and this, along with Yogi's Treasure Hunt and Galtar, all originally had their end credits shown back-to-back, before the end logo showed up (in a separate credit roll). I would hint that this is likely why the "Swirling Star" never showed up on these end credits originally.

When the series was re-ran on USA Cartoon Express around 1988, the original end logo was deleted and replaced by the Worldvision "Radar Globe" or "WHOOSH Globe." And then, when it was re-ran on Cartoon Network in the 1990s, some episodes had the CGI Swirling Star (with no Taft byline).

~Ben

Last edited:

Friendsfa32

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jason
I got my Paw Paws DVD, and I was disappointed that none of the two original "Swirling Star" logos stayed... but instead, there was this at the end:

when it was re-ran on Cartoon Network in the 1990s, some episodes had the CGI Swirling Star (with no Taft byline).

~Ben

if it helps any, the Australian Boomerang recordings available, have at least 1 episode with the swirling star end credits AND the taft company line intact.

i'm assuming those swirling star end credits were added later, and aren't actually part of the episodes? which is why they are probably missing on the dvd set, and instead just have a generic H-B logo thing going?

ClassicTVMan1981X

Screenwriter
Real Name
Benjamin
if it helps any, the Australian Boomerang recordings available, have at least 1 episode with the swirling star end credits AND the taft company line intact.

i'm assuming those swirling star end credits were added later, and aren't actually part of the episodes? which is why they are probably missing on the dvd set, and instead just have a generic H-B logo thing going?
Very interesting... and BTW, I did a pretty good job of re-creating what should have been the original end credits with the right logo...

~Ben

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks