What's new

Next Hanna-Barbera set? (1 Viewer)

Mark Y

Screenwriter
weirdly coincidental or not, someone uploaded a USA Cartoon Express recording to the Archive . org site very recently, that has this episode included, recording is in good quality, so i grabbed the episode from that :)

I wonder if they copied it from my You Tube upload -- from a circa 1990 VHS tape.

I also wonder where that originated in the first place. My best guess is they used a print from international distribution, which might have been in another language, and synched it to English audio. But who knows?

That's still the only way I have that cartoon -- aside from a You Tube download of the Cartoon Network version, which at least has the correct title.

If Huck is dead in the water, how about a complete Hokey Wolf set at least?

Bradskey

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Brad Davis
On the New Scooby Movies blu-ray set, the episode The Haunted Showboat with Josie and the Pussycats, in addition to sloppier than usual animation, has severe audio/lip sync issues, particularly early in the episode. Is this a defect of the disc, or was that just intrinsic to the episode itself?

ClassicTVMan1981X

Screenwriter
Real Name
Benjamin
On the New Scooby Movies blu-ray set, the episode The Haunted Showboat with Josie and the Pussycats, in addition to sloppier than usual animation, has severe audio/lip sync issues, particularly early in the episode. Is this a defect of the disc, or was that just intrinsic to the episode itself?
Season 2 was animated in Australia rather than here in the US, that might have something to do with the episode you're speaking of...

~Ben

Friendsfa32

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jason

no issues on the Boomerang tv recording i have..
so must be a blu-ray issue, or maybe whatever source they used the episode from.

I wonder if they copied it from my Youtube upload -- from a circa 1990 VHS tape.

person says it's a direct recording of the entire 2 hour block, recorded by their mom back then.
also says it was recorded in 1988....
which i believe, because if was a youtube copy, the quality would be more blurry and pixelated.
while this recording is clean.

the other part is that i already knew a recording of Cartoon Express with this Hokey Wolf episode existed, so to actually find it, is not that weird.
it was probably aired multiple times back then.

Last edited:

Mark Y

Screenwriter
no issues on the Boomerang tv recording i have..
so must be a blu-ray issue, or maybe whatever source they used the episode from.

person says it's a direct recording of the entire 2 hour block, recorded by their mom back then.
also says it was recorded in 1988....
which i believe, because if was a youtube copy, the quality would be more blurry and pixelated.
while this recording is clean.

the other part is that i already knew a recording of Cartoon Express with this Hokey Wolf episode existed, so to actually find it, is not that weird.
it was probably aired multiple times back then.

I'll have to find that block, Thanks!

Yes, it aired many times between 1985-1991. Especially after the summer of 1988 when Yogi Bear was pulled out of the show and they plugged other characters into his spot.

Last edited:

ClassicTVMan1981X

Screenwriter
Real Name
Benjamin
Watching Wheelie and the Chopper Bunch on DVD right now... episode three's (containing segments 7-9) audio seems very messed up!

Anyways, this was one of those titles from the early days of Warner Archive whose 13 to 16 half-hours were distributed not on the standard two DVD9 discs but, in this case, on three DVD5 discs. Jabberjaw was marketed the same way: 16 half-hours on four DVD5 discs.

~Ben

Mark Y

Screenwriter
Question (maybe unanswerable) about some of these Hanna-Barbera projects: When they make a serious effort to reassemble some of these shows from film elements -- like they did for titles like Atom Ant, Secret Squirrel, Peter Potamus, Huckleberry Finn, all of which turned out beautifully -- where is this stuff stored?

From things I've read in the past, it might be in multiple places around the world. Is something like Iron Mountain involved? I read something about Iron Mountain over at the Steve Hoffman Music Forum from someone who visited there. Apparently, they have a very functional system using scanners and bar codes to locate certain things, and the system works great as long as procedures are followed.

But it's all done with numbers and apparently "like things" are not necessarily grouped together. So if something gets returned without being scanned, or placed on the wrong shelf, with the volume of stuff they are dealing with, it might as well be lost. That's a little scary.

ClassicTVMan1981X

Screenwriter
Real Name
Benjamin
Question (maybe unanswerable) about some of these Hanna-Barbera projects: When they make a serious effort to reassemble some of these shows from film elements -- like they did for titles like Atom Ant, Secret Squirrel, Peter Potamus, Huckleberry Finn, all of which turned out beautifully -- where is this stuff stored?

From things I've read in the past, it might be in multiple places around the world. Is something like Iron Mountain involved? I read something about Iron Mountain over at the Steve Hoffman Music Forum from someone who visited there. Apparently, they have a very functional system using scanners and bar codes to locate certain things, and the system works great as long as procedures are followed.

But it's all done with numbers and apparently "like things" are not necessarily grouped together. So if something gets returned without being scanned, or placed on the wrong shelf, with the volume of stuff they are dealing with, it might as well be lost. That's a little scary.
Mark,

It can be confusing when it comes to these elements being stored here and there without regard to shelf life.

~Ben

seanrt

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Sean
C5E07370-C7F1-415B-A5A1-27B33443460A.jpeg
Warner has replaced the Josie episode on iTunes for The New Scooby-Doo Movies to correct the out of sync audio and the episode they used has the original opening sequence fully intact.

Mark Y

Screenwriter
Resized_20190710_190516.jpeg I received Lippy & Hardy today. As I have seen very few of these cartoons before, I've just been kicking back and watching a bunch of them. So far, it's similar technical quality to the Wally Gator set, which is to say not as good as new HD scans from 35mm, but much better than 30-year-old video transfers. But...

Can someone check this for me? On the cartoon "Kidnap-Trap" (on the first disc), the short theme song (such that it is) ends, but then instead of the title card fading up, it does this weird video transition where the title card comes together via some kind of video wipe with a bunch of little tiny squares.

It looks like either a primitive video game graphic, or some kind of a glitch. This kind of a transition does not belong on a 1960s cartoon show originating from film.

I saw a similar effect in one of the Banana Splits half-hours on the UK DVD set. At the time, again I wasn't sure if it was an attempt at a clever graphic effect, or a glitch.

What the heck am I seeing here? I wonder if it could even be some kind of a "layer transition" issue?

Last edited:

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
Lippy the Lion was the 3rd cartoon shown in The Wally Gator show, the end of Lippy the Lion included end credits: animators, directors and voice actors. These credits were for all 3 cartoons which again shows HB expected most stations to run these together. Wally Gator did not have end credits and neither did Touche Turtle since they were on Lippy the Lion. Are the end credits on these Lippy the Lion cartoons?
I've seen all of these cartoons multiple times its just been about 30 years since I last saw them. I should have Lippy by tomorrow and I will check out the video issue you mentioned.

Mark Y

Screenwriter
Lippy the Lion was the 3rd cartoon shown in The Wally Gator show, the end of Lippy the Lion included end credits: animators, directors and voice actors. These credits were for all 3 cartoons which again shows HB expected most stations to run these together. Wally Gator did not have end credits and neither did Touche Turtle since they were on Lippy the Lion. Are the end credits on these Lippy the Lion cartoons?
I've seen all of these cartoons multiple times its just been about 30 years since I last saw them. I should have Lippy by tomorrow and I will check out the video issue you mentioned.

Thanks, Randy!

I haven't seen any credits. According to WAC on Facebook, they supposedly don't exist. But I haven't made it through the whole set yet.

These cartoons are said to have been originally produced as stand-alone shorts as opposed to being part of a show. But so were the Abbott & Costello cartoons. I certainly never saw a credits sequence for those (aside from the voice credits in the opening titles), and yet it showed up on You Tube not long ago.

When did you see it in a half-hour format? What years? It's possible they produced stuff like that, which some stations chose not to use, which is why people don't remember them.

But it makes sense that they might have at least produced a closing with credits, as there are absolutely no credits on the cartoons themselves. If they did, Screen Gems would have had it -- but it wouldn't be surprising if it got lost in the shuffle between Worldvision, Turner, WB and who knows who else?

I'll report back again once I've watched everything. So far though, no credits anywhere.

Last edited:

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
I saw it when I was 6 in 1972 early morning before school. In the late 70's to early 80's the show was shown in the afternoons(after school). I remember watching in the summer all the time.
What WAC meant was there are no opening and closing credits for a "Wally Gator show" which is correct. There are just individual openings and a quick closing but since it was normal to give production credits those were shown at the end of the Lippy the Lion cartoon since it was shown 3rd. I remember them very clearly because they were done over the Lippy the Lion credits and song so that song stands out to me in my memory because I believe it was extended or repeated to have room for the credits. I think they were created by reusing the opening for the cartoon which was extended a bit. The credits ran on top of this. Its possible they were just created for the reruns but I'm thinking they were created during the original runs for stations that wanted to show the cartoons together. Its disappointing they didn't include the credits on the cartoons. It will be interesting to see if they are on Touche Turtle as its also possible other markets could have shown that one 3rd and applied the credits there.

Bradskey

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Brad Davis
View attachment 60463
Can someone check this for me? On the cartoon "Kidnap-Trap" (on the first disc), the short theme song (such that it is) ends, but then instead of the title card fading up, it does this weird video transition where the title card comes together via some kind of video wipe with a bunch of little tiny squares.

It looks like either a primitive video game graphic, or some kind of a glitch. This kind of a transition does not belong on a 1960s cartoon show originating from film.

I saw a similar effect in one of the Banana Splits half-hours on the UK DVD set. At the time, again I wasn't sure if it was an attempt at a clever graphic effect, or a glitch.

What the heck am I seeing here? I wonder if it could even be some kind of a "layer transition" issue?

It's on my copy too. It's part of the video stream, not a layer transition.

Bradskey

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Brad Davis
Yes and yes they did. Warner must have paid little to no attention on this release. The Josie episode is unwatchable on my Blu-Ray.

I don't expect much, but this is a defect pure and simple. As much as the set cost there should be a disc replacement program.

It's frustrating because things like this would no doubt impact the profitability of these releases and make them less and less likely because of how "demanding" the buyers are, but it wouldn't hurt for the publishers to have half a care and stop having inexcusably sloppy issues with almost every other friggin' disc release (to be generous).

For at least 15 years I have wondered why it isn't somebody's job on a disc release to just sit there and watch the "proof" image all the way through before it goes to the disc replicators. It seems like 90% of this nonsense could be caught that way. For crying out loud, we could probably even come up with a standard checklist of things for them to watch for. Other things would require actual knowledge of the content on a case by case basis, sure, but technical issues like this are just kind of pathetic.

Mark Y

Screenwriter
I saw it when I was 6 in 1972 early morning before school. In the late 70's to early 80's the show was shown in the afternoons(after school). I remember watching in the summer all the time.
What WAC meant was there are no opening and closing credits for a "Wally Gator show" which is correct. There are just individual openings and a quick closing but since it was normal to give production credits those were shown at the end of the Lippy the Lion cartoon since it was shown 3rd. I remember them very clearly because they were done over the Lippy the Lion credits and song so that song stands out to me in my memory because I believe it was extended or repeated to have room for the credits. I think they were created by reusing the opening for the cartoon which was extended a bit. The credits ran on top of this. Its possible they were just created for the reruns but I'm thinking they were created during the original runs for stations that wanted to show the cartoons together. Its disappointing they didn't include the credits on the cartoons. It will be interesting to see if they are on Touche Turtle as its also possible other markets could have shown that one 3rd and applied the credits there.

Now you've got me wondering if they produced closing segments for all three characters? Could there have been longer intros produced as well?

Who knows -- this stuff could be out there among film collectors. I still want to find the Magilla Gorilla show opening with Breezly & Sneezly in it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks