What's new

Next Hanna-Barbera set? (2 Viewers)

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
The problem with that is, which ones were shown, and in what order? Unless they have the masters of the complete shows as aired (which seems highly unlikely given their track record) or some record of what aired each week (from the time -- after-the-fact copyright registrations and Guess-o-pedia episode guides don't count), who knows what was in each show?

Not to mention that "SDWAY" has already been released on DVD and is headed to Blu-Ray.

On the other hand, Saturday Morning Cartoons 1970s Volume 2 includes what appears to be a pristine transfer of the first episode of "The Tom & Jerry/Grape Ape Show," complete with bumpers -- aside from the audio fading a second or two early on the show opening (missing the final fanfare) it appears to be just as originally aired. I wonder how that happened -- especially with split ownership (prior to 1991) for the segments in the show.

I am glad that the shows released have the original "Scooby's All Star Laff-A-Lympics" show opening. Kudos to them for including it, even though it really doesn't make sense as an intro for the half-hours (since it mentions the other cartoons originally included in the 2-hour version of the show).

The episodes close with the "Scooby's All-Stars" closing. Boomerang aired one episode that way, while all the rest had the same half-hour "Laff-A-Lympics" opening and closing the way it was from the first ABC reruns through USA Cartoon Express. Ironically, now that formerly common version might become obscure.
Yeah I'm still disappointed that WHV has not released the complete Tom and Jerry/Grape Ape show or better yet allowed WAC to release it. Its another I remember well from Saturday morning viewings from 1975-1976. And its another I am only interesting in if its released as the complete show. That is where the nostalgia for me since that is the way I watched it. I have no interest in it if its done as separate segment releases. Same goes for Yogi's Space Race.

Mark Y

Screenwriter
Yeah I'm still disappointed that WHV has not released the complete Tom and Jerry/Grape Ape show or better yet allowed WAC to release it. Its another I remember well from Saturday morning viewings from 1975-1976. And its another I am only interesting in if its released as the complete show. That is where the nostalgia for me since that is the way I watched it. I have no interest in it if its done as separate segment releases. Same goes for Yogi's Space Race.

They'd have to add the Mumbly cartoons as extras or something because they were introduced later in the run -- or they'll be repeating a lot of cartoons and making it unmanageable.

There is a gag in a Simpsons episode that I think was based on this. When Mumbly was added to the show, they did an overdub onto the theme song where they had a guy say "and Mumbly too!" "The Itchy & Scratchy & Poochie Show" reminded me of this.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
They'd have to add the Mumbly cartoons as extras or something because they were introduced later in the run -- or they'll be repeating a lot of cartoons and making it unmanageable.

There is a gag in a Simpsons episode that I think was based on this. When Mumbly was added to the show, they did an overdub onto the theme song where they had a guy say "and Mumbly too!" "The Itchy & Scratchy & Poochie Show" reminded me of this.
Mumbly wasn't added until the 2nd season. So that would be the time to add him. Since its an hour show this would probably need to be a Season 1 and then a season 2 release or vol. 1 and vol. 2

ClassicTVMan1981X

Screenwriter
Real Name
Benjamin
Mumbly wasn't added until the 2nd season. So that would be the time to add him. Since its an hour show this would probably need to be a Season 1 and then a season 2 release or vol. 1 and vol. 2
Yes, in 1976. Mumbly was the only thing new about the retconned hour show. As all the Tom & Jerry segments were 7 minutes long, and the Grape Ape ones 11 minutes long, then the Mumbly segments were also 7 minutes long.

~Ben

Mark Y

Screenwriter

Did they do new T&J and Grape Ape segments that year or were they reruns?

Also -- though I watched the show when it first came on, I really didn't keep up with it throughout the run. I know Mumbly (like The Great Grape Ape) was spun off on to his own show for reruns later -- but I'm reading that they only did 16 cartoons, and they were just short cartoons, one per week. My thought is (not remembering these shorts too well), that's not enough to make a half-hour spin off show. You'd only have 8 shows, assuming two to a half-hour. Can anyone verify this?

Here is an episode guide, compiled by the biggest fan of this show who ever lived:

http://1975tomjerry.orgfree.com/New_TomJerry-GrapeApeShow_EPG.htm

ClassicTVMan1981X

Screenwriter
Real Name
Benjamin

Also -- though I watched the show when it first came on, I really didn't keep up with it throughout the run. I know Mumbly (like The Great Grape Ape) was spun off on to his own show for reruns later -- but I'm reading that they only did 16 cartoons, and they were just short cartoons, one per week. My thought is (not remembering these shorts too well), that's not enough to make a half-hour spin off show. You'd only have 8 shows, assuming two to a half-hour. Can anyone verify this?

Here is an episode guide, compiled by the biggest fan of this show who ever lived:

Yes Mark, that is what I know about Mumbly as well. Each of the 16 six-minute segments had an opening and a closing title attached.

~Ben

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member

I thought about this some more and I'm going off memory but I am pretty sure format for 1st season one hour show was:

Tom and Jerry (7 minutes)
Grape Ape (11 minutes)
Tom and Jerry (7 Minutes)
Grape Ape (11 minutes)
16 shows produced

For Season 2:
Mumbly (7 Minutes)
Grape Ape (11 minutes)
Mumbly (7 Minutes)
16 mumbly cartoons produced
Tom and Jerry and Grape Ape segments were reruns.

So in this case it would probably make sense to do the Tom and Jerry/Grape Ape show and then the Mumbly show as a separate release. Although Mumbly would only be 1 disc with 16 short cartoons as you said.
Or they could add the Mumbly cartoons as a bonus to the Tom and Jerry/Grape Ape show. I always considered Mumbly his own show since he came later.

Last edited:

ClassicTVMan1981X

Screenwriter
Real Name
Benjamin
I thought about this some more and I'm going off memory but I am pretty sure format for 1st season was one hour show was:

Grape Ape (11 minutes)
Grape Ape (11 minutes)
16 shows produced

For Season 2:
Mumbly (7 Minutes)
Grape Ape (11 minutes)
Mumbly (7 Minutes)

So in this case it would probably make sense to do the Tom and Jerry/Grape Ape show and then the Mumbly show as a separate release. Although Mumbly would only be 1 disc with 16 short cartoons as you said.
Or they could add the Mumbly cartoons as a bonus to the Tom and Jerry/Grape Ape show. I always considered Mumbly his own show since he came later.
Randy,

What you state for the original 1975-76 run is all correct. Mumbly would indeed be treated as a separate DVD release.

~Ben

Last edited:

Armand

Auditioning
Real Name
Armand
Good morning everyone, I am brand new to the form, huge HB fan, super glad I found you all.

I have a few questions hoping someone can assist me with...

1. Does anyone know what episodes will be included in the new Scooby doo 50 episodes pack that warner is releasing next month. Can’t find any info on the breakdown anywhere?

2. Does anyone have a breakdown sheet of all HB titles available on iTunes that I can get?

Thanks, Armand

Mark Y

Screenwriter
Randy,

What you state for the original 1975-76 run is all correct. Mumbly would indeed be treated as a separate DVD release.

~Ben

Where did I see Mumbly as a half-hour? Did ABC repeat it on Sunday mornings (like the Grape Ape) or was it on USA Cartoon Express or something? If there were really only 8 half-hours (which makes no sense to me whatsoever) the latter is really the only possibility, as Cartoon Express was originally a dumping ground, I mean showcase, for very short-run shows that were a little more obscure and didn't have enough episodes to be syndicated.

They weren't at least two-part storylines? That would have gotten them 16 half-hours.

Mark Y

Screenwriter
I thought about this some more and I'm going off memory but I am pretty sure format for 1st season one hour show was:

Grape Ape (11 minutes)
Grape Ape (11 minutes)
16 shows produced

For Season 2:
Mumbly (7 Minutes)
Grape Ape (11 minutes)
Mumbly (7 Minutes)

Also, at some point during the second season the Grape Ape was pulled out and it was just "The Tom & Jerry/Mumbly Show."

Having watched the show, it was a little weird to see the Tom & Jerry shorts in syndication by 1978 (on our local Channel 32) mixed in with the classic theatrical Tom & Jerry cartoons (from 16mm film prints -- some with a revised opening and/or closing, some with neither) while the Grape Ape was still in Sunday morning reruns on ABC.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
Where did I see Mumbly as a half-hour? Did ABC repeat it on Sunday mornings (like the Grape Ape) or was it on USA Cartoon Express or something? If there were really only 8 half-hours (which makes no sense to me whatsoever) the latter is really the only possibility, as Cartoon Express was originally a dumping ground, I mean showcase, for very short-run shows that were a little more obscure and didn't have enough episodes to be syndicated.

They weren't at least two-part storylines? That would have gotten them 16 half-hours.

Nope they were 7 minute shorts. 2 per each hour show so only 8 new episodes with repeats of the others typical for a 2nd season of a Saturday morning show.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks