1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Next Hanna-Barbera set?

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Matthew Green, Oct 6, 2004.

1. Michael Allen Ehlenbeck

Michael
    Since Wally Gator was just released a couple days ago, and Lippy the Lion & Hardy Har Har is going to be released in less than two weeks, I'm just guessing that Touche Turtle & Dum Dum is going to come out sometime around August 20th of this year. I'll be surprised if I'm wrong.

I left a message on the Facebook page for Warner Archive, and they said that they have no idea when they'll get the situation with the rest of the Huckleberry Hound Show and Quick Draw McGraw resolved. So, I'm going to guess that the rest of Huckleberry Hound is going to come out no later than 2028, and depending on when the music rights issues are resolved that Quick Draw McGraw is going to come out no later than 2034. I know it's not the best news that everyone wants to hear. Of course, I could be second-guessing myself on all this. But, I'm going to trust my instincts on this one.

LeoA and JoeDoakes like this.
  2. JoeDoakes

JoeDoakes Cinematographer

Ray
    Any particular reason for those dates?

3. Mark Y

Mark Y Screenwriter

Question: Didn't "Happy Days" have a situation where Season 2 had a lot of music substitutions in the U.S., but came out unedited in England? I wonder if that might be a way around this, because of differing laws regarding copyright and music publishing rights.

Also, I know several Hanna-Barbera DVDs are unique to Spain. IINM Wally Gator was released there years ago, as was Peter Potamus (but just the Potamus segments only, not the rest of the show). Huck and Pixie & Dixie had their own releases too.

I got two volumes of Huckleberry Hound that way -- but I held off on Pixie & Dixie because available information on line was vague and they didn't say which cartoons were included -- and the Huck DVDs consisted entirely of cartoons released on the Season 1 DVD set. But they weren't from the same masters. The Spanish DVDs used the "short title" versions we used to see in syndication pre-Cartoon Express. It was interesting, but I didn't want to gamble further in case they were the same episodes again. I think these are all out of print now.

4. Michael Allen Ehlenbeck

Michael
    I'm just saying that Wally Gator and Lippy the Lion are going to be released within two weeks of each other, then Touche Turtle should not be far behind.

The reason I'm thinking that it's going to to take years until we get Quick Draw McGraw and the rest of Huckleberry Hound is because I've got a feeling that the situation is going to end up in court. I hope I'm wrong.

ClassicTVMan1981X likes this.
  5. Randy Korstick

Randy Korstick Producer

The music rights for Huckleberry Hound and Quick Draw are royalties that are due to the music writers for their music for a home video release. Instead of original music they paid for a lot of existing music for those shows. What they paid for only included tv broadcast rights. No one had any idea about home video at that time. Nothing to take to court you either pay the fees or you don't. The problem is the fees are much higher than any profit wac could hope to make on a home video release. The owners of the music do not want to come down on their price so until they do or something changes in the current ownership wac can't release them. This is why they don't know when it will be resolved. They are in the same situation with several classic TV shows like the Warner detective shows.

6. Friendsfa32

Friendsfa32 Stunt Coordinator

Jason
    anything they can't get the rights to, they WILL simply ignore,
    and move on to a different show they CAN release.
    going to court over music copyright they don't own, would be an instant loss, completely pointless, and would most likely cost money.
    which again is pointless to spend , when you know you don't have a case to begin with/leg to stand on.

7. Bradskey

Bradskey Stunt Coordinator

Brad Davis
    I don't know why anybody should expect to be paid for a days work more than 60 years ago. Copyright laws are insane. The rest of us have to get up and go to work every day and keep producing, so something like 20-25 years rights protection would seem more than fair to me.

LeoA likes this.
  8. JoeDoakes

Ray
    I think the music rights issues are very different in England, which is why we got the Banana Splits. There haven’t been many new vintage cartoon dvd releases there for a while though. I think the chances of a European release of something like Quick Draw are minimal.

9. Mark Y

Mark Y Screenwriter

I haven't followed it that closely. Did UK Warner release any more Hanna-Barbera shows we didn't get in the USA? I note the packaging on their Banana Splits set does not match the H-B "golden collection" or "classic collection" designs on the majority of the releases at all -- not to mention using photos from the wrong show altogether (the 2008 Cartoon Network Banana Splits shorts). Actually, those would have made good extras.

I should have paid more attention to what was coming out in Spain too. The only way I found those was on eBaY.

JoeDoakes likes this.
  10. dawnshadow

dawnshadow Stunt Coordinator

Dawn
    On the latest Warner Archive podcast, it is confirmed that the best quality elements available for Wally Gator was 16mm. It is not confirmed that they restored it from those elements, but it is somewhat implied by “we did the best we could with them”.

11. Bradskey

Bradskey Stunt Coordinator

Brad Davis
    That's about what it looks like. Somewhat soft overall, and some episodes very grainy and occasional dirt and minor film damage. Possible "remastered" but definitely not restored. Colors are decent. At least they don't look like dingy old worn out tape masters.

12. Mark Y

Mark Y Screenwriter

That's not surprising. That's probably the only way these cartoons were ever printed, and maybe the negatives are unaccounted for.

They are still pretty decent, all things considered.

13. ClassicTVMan1981X

ClassicTVMan1981X Screenwriter

Benjamin
    I do believe this will be a top seller, considering this was a long-awaited release.

~Ben

Sean Thompson likes this.
  14. JoeDoakes

Ray
    Not Warner, but there were a number of other UK only releases of vintage cartoon shos—most prominently a lot of Marvel Superheroes. There’s been nothing new in years though

Sean Thompson likes this.
  15. Sean Thompson

Sean Thompson Stunt Coordinator

Sean
    I bought the DePatie Freleng Spider-Woman back when those UK releases were going on. I’m so glad I did, I felt a US release was highly unlikely.

JoeDoakes likes this.
  16. Ken_Martinez

Ken_Martinez Second Unit

Ken
    I'm hoping we can at least see a Blu-Ray of Yogi Bear's show. The underscore for Yogi's show was created specifically for it, so no music problems there.

Also, if Jonny Quest can come to Blu-Ray with its politically incorrect dialogue intact, I would like to see a Flinstones Blu-Ray with the cigarette ads.

17. Message #4457 of 4702 Jul 1, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2019
    Mark Y

Mark Y Screenwriter

The Flintstones cigarette commercial was released on Laserdisc, so who knows.

Yogi shouldn't be a problem if they just port the existing set to Blu-Ray.

The actual combinations of cartoons are not all as originally aired, though -- some of the Yogi cartoons on the Yogi set appeared first on the Huckleberry Hound show. The Yowp blog gets into some of this. It's a little complicated -- I understand why they did it the way they did, they were able to create a nice neat set of 32 shows by using the last 32 Yogis and matching them up with Yakky and Snagglepuss. It worked. (This way, we got all the Yogi cartoons from the third Huck season, with just the 13 from Season 2 MIA.)

What was bizarre was, they went to great pains to reflect the exact cartoons aired each week in the first season of the Huckleberry Hound show, even to the point of repeating the first 12 cartoons. That must have been confusing to anyone who didn't understand the show's history. Since the DVDs just play the cartoons wall to wall without the bridges, the shows themselves are not actually reconstructed (except for the few included as extras) and in that context, the repeats don't make sense -- especially since so many of the cartoons after the first season remain unreleased.

I guess we're lucky to have gotten what we got, and I'm glad we had Earl Kress in our corner.

18. ClassicTVMan1981X

ClassicTVMan1981X Screenwriter

Benjamin
    I do agree that the padding (repeats) on most package shows is unnecessary, however, on the 2-hour Scooby's All-Star Laff-A-Lympics setup, there was also padding in the form of repeats of the 1969-70 Scooby-Doo, Where Are You! when it was the third half-hour of the series, and I feel it just does not have that same nostalgic feel without it.

~Ben

Randy Korstick likes this.
  19. JoeDoakes

Ray
    No, at least not in a form other than a buried extra

20. Message #4460 of 4702 Jul 1, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2019
    Mark Y

Mark Y Screenwriter

The problem with that is, which ones were shown, and in what order? Unless they have the masters of the complete shows as aired (which seems highly unlikely given their track record) or some record of what aired each week (from the time -- after-the-fact copyright registrations and Guess-o-pedia episode guides don't count), who knows what was in each show?

Not to mention that "SDWAY" has already been released on DVD and is headed to Blu-Ray.

On the other hand, Saturday Morning Cartoons 1970s Volume 2 includes what appears to be a pristine transfer of the first episode of "The Tom & Jerry/Grape Ape Show," complete with bumpers -- aside from the audio fading a second or two early on the show opening (missing the final fanfare) it appears to be just as originally aired. I wonder how that happened -- especially with split ownership (prior to 1991) for the segments in the show.

I am glad that the shows released have the original "Scooby's All Star Laff-A-Lympics" show opening. Kudos to them for including it, even though it really doesn't make sense as an intro for the half-hours (since it mentions the other cartoons originally included in the 2-hour version of the show).

The episodes close with the "Scooby's All-Stars" closing. Boomerang aired one episode that way, while all the rest had the same half-hour "Laff-A-Lympics" opening and closing the way it was from the first ABC reruns through USA Cartoon Express. Ironically, now that formerly common version might become obscure.