1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Next Hanna-Barbera set?

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Matthew Green, Oct 6, 2004.

1. Friendsfa32

Friendsfa32 Stunt Coordinator

Jason
    nothing restored i'm guessing?
    just a copy-paste from dvd ----> blu-ray

2. Sean Thompson

Sean Thompson Stunt Coordinator

Sean
    cherisland likes this.
  3. Message #4423 of 4537 Jun 25, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2019
    ClassicTVMan1981X

ClassicTVMan1981X Supporting Actor

Benjamin
    I do hope the laugh tracks will be restored on each episode, as well as the right opening and closing theme songs (by Ted Nichols) on the first three episodes!

~Ben

JoeDoakes and Sean Thompson like this.
  4. Mark Y

Mark Y Supporting Actor

I would like the commercial break bumpers too.

ClassicTVMan1981X likes this.
  5. Sean Thompson

Sean Thompson Stunt Coordinator

Sean
    I hope so too

6. Message #4426 of 4537 Jun 25, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2019
    ClassicTVMan1981X

Benjamin
    Yes, Mark... I would love to see the commercial break bumpers that were attached to this series, as well as on The New Scooby-Doo Movies.

In fact, as I said time and again, they should also do a proper restoration of The Scooby-Doo/Dynomutt Hour to Blu-Ray, to include the correct opening and closing titles (the latter of which we last saw on USA Cartoon Express reruns of Dynomutt, Dog Wonder in the 1980s and early '90s), and any commercial break bumpers and teasers.

~Ben

7. albert_m2

albert_m2 Second Unit

Albert
    I would love to not have the laugh tracks.

Timothy E likes this.
  8. Mark McSherry

Mark McSherry Stunt Coordinator

Mark McSherry
    Email from Warner Archive says Scooby-Doo, Where Are You!: The Complete Series Blu-ray will be released 9/03/2019 with a pre-order price of $89.95.

Sean Thompson likes this.
  9. Message #4429 of 4537 Jun 26, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2019
    Mark Y

Mark Y Supporting Actor

I got Wally Gator today direct from Warner Archive. They are DVD-Rs. They look and sound okay, spot checking them. Some are in better shape than others, but at least everything looks like film and not 30-year-old video transfers.

(They actually did a nice job. I don't want to scare you. Although as I'm writing this, I have a cartoon on, "No More Mower," where the theme song is louder than the rest of the cartoon.)

I am not certain about this but occasionally it looks like some of these cartoons might be composites of more than one film print used as a source.

No major screw-ups as far as I can tell!

Just curious though...why does the intro song tell us about how Wally lives in the swamp, when he actually lives in the zoo?

10. dawnshadow

dawnshadow Stunt Coordinator

Dawn
    Wow, DVD-Rs? Seems odd that they didn’t think Wally Gator deserved even a small pressed run. Either that or it sold out incredibly fast.

Do the transfers look like they were finished in HD? Just don’t want to buy the set and then have it show up on iTunes or Amazon Video in HD...

11. ClassicTVMan1981X

Benjamin
    If it sold out fast, then that means this title is destined to be a best-seller, considering it hasn't been shown much on Boomerang as of late. That, and the fact Wally Gator was the most popular of the three segments collectively known off-screen as the Hanna-Barbera New Cartoon Series.

~Ben

JoeDoakes likes this.
  12. Michael Allen Ehlenbeck

Michael
    Despite all the music rights issues, I truly believe that Quick Draw McGraw will finally be released on DVD within the next 10-15 years. Same goes for the rest of Huckleberry Hound. If not, then I truly believe that we'll never be able to fully enjoy these HB classics now that hardly of the cartoons I grew up on are being shown on Boomerang anymore.

13. Traveling Matt

Traveling Matt Supporting Actor

I seriously doubt it's because a small pressed batch ran out.

14. Mark Y

Mark Y Supporting Actor

They are probably HD. I have just watched on a small TV in my bedroom. Occasional softness, maybe a compression (?) issue (I am not very technically savvy) -- it's on 2 DVDs, with 26 cartoons on each.

Loopy De Loop was also on DVD-R. Actually, I kind of associate these two characters since I was introduced to both (as far as actually first seeing their cartoons) on USA Cartoon Express where they shared kind of an "ad-hoc" show with Quick Draw McGraw and Magilla Gorilla. That was a bizarre repackaging of disparate cartoons.

Occasionally there will be a brief shifting of colors as if different source prints are used. It kind of reminds me of cases where cross-fades will be punched in from an old print in a transfer otherwise made from a negative -- if you know what I mean. Although it's not necessarily at "transition points." Maybe I don't quite know how to describe this.

Wally's not what I would call "A-list," but is another puzzle piece of 1960s Hanna-Barbera. The 1960s are where I "live" as far as Hanna-Barbera is concerned.

ChrisALM likes this.
  15. Randy Korstick

Randy Korstick Producer

No big surprise more than half of their HB releases have been DVD-R releases which doesn't mean anything anymore. But if they sold out of an initial batch of pressed that fast which would be a 1st they would do another batch. MOD for WAC means made on demand in small batches which can be pressed or DVD-R depending on how big of a seller they think it will be. Which is why their Blu Rays all say MOD. But you are right they could show up on iTunes in HD. They seem to be preparing everything in HD now so they can eventually add it to Boomerang streaming. Although there is still a lot on non-HD stuff on Boomerang.

16. Randy Korstick

Randy Korstick Producer

I used to wonder that too as a kid. My guess is the show was originally intended to have him in the swamp but they decided having him in a zoo provided more story options and the opening credits are all that survive of the original idea.
    Wally Gator is "A" list to me as I grew up watching the Wally Gator show before school and during summers all through the 70's. I actually slightly prefer Touche Turtle from this show to Wally. Lippy the Lion is not "A" list but still fun. The format of the show was Wally Gator, Touche Turtle and then Lippy the Lion. Each were shown with their opening and closing titles.

Mark Y and JoeDoakes like this.
  17. JoeDoakes

JoeDoakes Cinematographer

Ray
    I guess they asked a songwriter who knew nothing about what the show would be to come up with a theme song.

18. Randy Korstick

Randy Korstick Producer

Yeah I have never read a real story on it and I am just guessing but it looks like they changed the concept from Wally in the swamp to Wally in the Zoo during the early stages of production.

JoeDoakes likes this.
  19. Tezzer_Badischlivk

Tezzer_Badischlivk Auditioning

Matt
    Perhaps Wally began his life in the swamp, but due to being more intellectual than the other alligators (and a snappy dresser, no pun intended), he decided to leave the swamp embarking on a quest to seek out the wonders of mankind. So he nicks a speed boat, it all goes wrong, it ends with him water-skiing off the back of it. That's all we see. We can only assume he does make it to a populated city, but again it all goes wrong - he's hunted by the humans. They seek him out and stick him in the Zoo. The show begins...

Or it was just a miscalculated mistake. Take your pick. Can't wait for my copy of the DVD to arrive! Ordered it to the UK.

Mark Y likes this.
  20. Message #4440 of 4537 Jun 27, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2019
    ClassicTVMan1981X

Benjamin
    For those of you that own the Snorks: The Complete Third and Fourth Seasons and Paw Paws DVDs, may I ask: have you checked to be sure that the episodes have the right Hanna-Barbera closing logos at the end, as well as the opening one before the intros?

The reason I ask is because both the logos I mention, especially the first CGI Swirling Star logo with the Taft byline, are somewhat hard to find on DVD, especially if it's stuff that aired in first-run syndication like the two titles (though the first two seasons of Snorks were seen on NBC originally) I mentioned above.

Opening logo:

Closing logos:

~Ben