1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Next Hanna-Barbera set?

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Matthew Green, Oct 6, 2004.

1. Bradskey

Bradskey Stunt Coordinator

Brad Davis
    What is it with Amazon all of a sudden? I thought they were getting most of this stuff pretty close to or right on release date, but now weeks or months after my pre-orders they finally let me know they can't deliver Jonny Quest or Popeye until sometime after July??? So I either have to wait an eternity, or cancel and order from WBShop, which I also hate. They have no date at all for Wally Gator, so I'd already ordered that one from WBShop (ugh). Sorry, just griping.

2. ChrisALM

ChrisALM Supporting Actor

Chris
    I preordered Jonny Quest Blu and Popeye Blu from WAC - just received Jonny Quest yesterday (Saturday) and received notification that Popeye had shipped - on Friday.

Not sure what all of that means, but I hope demand has exceeded WAC expectations. Usually WAC gets things to me more promptly.

Sean Thompson likes this.
  3. Mark McSherry

Mark McSherry Stunt Coordinator

Mark McSherry
    DeepDiscount can be hit and miss, but the Popeye V2 blu shipped the day I ordered and Wally Gator and Gaslight shipped last Friday. And with their recent 10% Off w/ 3 Or More Titles, each title beat Amazon's price. Plus you get Free Shipping with $25+.

Bradskey likes this.
  4. Mark Y

Mark Y Supporting Actor

That does seem to be the case. And it seems to be on a case by case basis depending on the show. H-B had some long-term deals in place like their deal with Screen Gems (later Columbia, now Sony) which tied up the distribution of a lot of their shows for a long time.

It's interesting, I enjoyed a syndicated compilation series called "Fred Flintstone And Friends," which was distributed by Columbia Pictures Television and premiered in 1977. But later, some of the shows featured stayed with Sony, while others reverted back to Hanna-Barbera:

Hanna-Barbera (Warner Bros.):
    Pebbles And Bamm-Bamm
    The Flintstone Comedy Hour
    Yogi's Gang
    Goober And The Ghost Chasers

Sony:
    Jeannie
    The Partridge Family 2200 A.D.

The Partridge Family kids also guest starred in at least one "Goober" episode. It may have been more, and may have seemed like even more since these shows were chopped into segments with more than one series featured in one half-hour show, and continued for a few days.

I understand Screen Gems being involved with Jeannie and the Partridge Family since they were licensed properties. They evidently still had some control over usage of Yogi Bear and the Flintstones at the time too. But how were they involved with "Goober And The Ghost Chasers" -- unless just having the Partridge kids on there was enough.

I know the Laurel & Hardy cartoons belong to Larry Harmon's company. I'm not sure who owns "Sinbad Jr." Warner Bros. owns the Abbott & Costello cartoons.

Sean Thompson likes this.
  5. Traveling Matt

Traveling Matt Supporting Actor

I wonder if the dearth of U.S. pressing plants is a factor in these supplies not arriving to retailers as expected.

6. Bradskey

Brad Davis
    Maybe? I know WA has sometimes pressed an initial run of some of their releases before switching to MOD, and maybe they do pressed for all BD??? Not sure I've ever seen or heard of a BD-R from them, do they do that? Otherwise, at least for DVD, I thought Amazon could produce these and other MOD (Sony/Universal/etc) releases themselves through their CreateSpace program or whatever.

7. Sean Thompson

Sean Thompson Stunt Coordinator

Sean
    I remember that in my area also, for some reason Tampa never had the Jeannie on. I was always so mad. The Goober dvd has all the Partridge kids episodes in tact. I wonder what kind of deal allowed it. Maybe something at the original negotiation, too bad not for the other shows.

Mark Y likes this.
  8. Traveling Matt

BDs are only pressed thru Warner Archive.

9. Rodney

Rodney Screenwriter
    Supporter

Using The Internet Archive Wayback Machine:

As of the last thing I knew, the release of Quick Draw McGraw was in trouble due to music rights. Yes, I know that it’s basically the same music library as Huckleberry Hound and they were able to release those. But the truth is, it isn’t. At one time, that “needle drop” music was called the Capitol Music Library. There were many composers that contributed to it, including Jack Shaindlin, John Seely & William Loose, George Hormel and Phillip Green. Little by little, the Capitol deals expired and the rights reverted to the composers, most of whom are dead, and therefore controlled by the heirs. It’s very difficult to clear that music now, since you have to deal with many different entities. I don’t know the final outcome, but the last I heard it was in trouble.

https://web.archive.org/web/20070525184323/http://www.mynameisearlkress.com/weblog/

Mick Hyperion and Mark Y like this.
  10. David Norman

David Norman Producer

Or else choose a different vendor with better service and pricing than either Amazon or WBShop. I'm not entirely sure why the "Since I can't get it from Amazon, I have to order from WBSHOP" continues to be posted since I'd say WB is the worst of all choices -- full price, sales tax, and $7 shipping charge, and often still unpredictable shipping.
    Amazon has been unreliable to downright awful with a large number of WAC and Allied Vaughn titles for 6 months or more

The better news is Amazon seems to be getting many of the JQ orders out over the last few days so the est dates of mid-late July and even Aug and September as expected were never a likely date.

11. Traveling Matt

That old Golden Age cartoons forum link reminds me: is there a new hangout for that crowd? I used to belong to one but there's been so many over the years I never found the new place. If there is one.

12. Bradskey

Brad Davis
    Closest I know of, this is where (what's left) of the old crowd headed after GAC/TTTP:

https://www.intanibase.com/forum/

Traveling Matt likes this.
  13. Bradskey

Brad Davis
    Well I don't disagree. DD for example is probably a much better idea, among others. I hate WBShop, full price and expensive slow shipping privileges, and it's not really even part of WB anyway. I'm making more effort to avoid Amazon generally, but sometimes they just make it too easy, and I'm busy/lazy/whatever.

14. Michael Allen Ehlenbeck

Michael
    I read the posts that Earl Kress made on his blog in regards to the music library in regards to the potential release of the Quick Draw McGraw DVD. But, that was from 2007. Is the same thing still going on today in 2019?

15. ClassicTVMan1981X

ClassicTVMan1981X Supporting Actor

Benjamin
    I am afraid so, unless these music rights laws change...

~Ben

16. Michael Allen Ehlenbeck

Michael
  17. Friendsfa32

Friendsfa32 Stunt Coordinator

Jason
  18. Mark Y

Mark Y Supporting Actor

Thank you for this. I tried going to the Wayback Machine but for some reason I could only get to Earl's blog itself, not to a specific article. Maybe it's an issue with my phone.

I must have read this back then, but forgot. Very informative about the labyrinth of legal complications concerning this music. I passed on the "Pic-A-Nic Basket" box set since it was very expensive and I had three of the four CDs already. Of course, the fourth CD was never released separately, and now the set is MUCH MORE expensive.

19. ClassicTVMan1981X

ClassicTVMan1981X Supporting Actor

Benjamin

Preview clip from the Wally Gator DVD set... from episode 1, "Droopy Dragon"

~Ben

20. Sean Thompson

Sean Thompson Stunt Coordinator

Sean
    Scooby-Doo Where are You? Series has been announced on Blu-Ray for release on September 3rd in a haunted house special packaging per Cereal at Midnight

Attached Files:

cherisland and ClassicTVMan1981X like this.