What's new

Next Hanna-Barbera set? (2 Viewers)

Mark Y

Screenwriter
The trailer for the new Banana Splits movie is out and is every bit as terrible as some feared. I think Warner has decided to trash the show and the characters. I don’t think we’ll ever see anything more of it.

I know they don't want to spend the money to remaster the shows for DVD, but that's pretty extreme.

seanrt

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Sean
I know they don't want to spend the money to remaster the shows for DVD, but that's pretty extreme.
Maybe any money made is being allocated for getting the show ready for a release and get people talking about the characters. That way those who despise the movie will be sure to pick up the series to get the best version out there and those who like the movie will pick up the series to check out the original. It also allows them to do it as a main release available for retail and not just an Archive release.

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
Maybe any money made is being allocated for getting the show ready for a release and get people talking about the characters. That way those who despise the movie will be sure to pick up the series to get the best version out there and those who like the movie will pick up the series to check out the original. It also allows them to do it as a main release available for retail and not just an Archive release.

I mentioned this awhile back about The Banana Splits, the only way to get the complete series is to have Shout Factory to release. They would remaster the series the best they could and it would be chocked full of worthwhile special features as well.

Mark Y

Screenwriter
I mentioned this awhile back about The Banana Splits, the only way to get the complete series is to have Shout Factory to release. They would remaster the series the best they could and it would be chocked full of worthwhile special features as well.

Depending on what materials Warner gave them to work with. Shout's work is completely dependent on what they are handed. If Warner were to hand them the cut Boomerang half-hours, it would defeat the whole purpose of a release as far as I'm concerned, as those were released 10 years ago in England.

I do have to wonder, though, why it didn't come out in the United States. The answer I would LIKE is that they were planning to eventually do a proper DVD release of the complete shows. The MORE LIKELY answer is because music rights issues are different in the UK than the U.S.

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
Depending on what materials Warner gave them to work with. Shout's work is completely dependent on what they are handed. If Warner were to hand them the cut Boomerang half-hours, it would defeat the whole purpose of a release as far as I'm concerned, as those were released 10 years ago in England.

I do have to wonder, though, why it didn't come out in the United States. The answer I would LIKE is that they were planning to eventually do a proper DVD release of the complete shows. The MORE LIKELY answer is because music rights issues are different in the UK than the U.S.

Shout would pay the music royalties, whereas WB would go the Columbia/Sony route of Married...With Children.

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
Shout doesn't have the kind of money they are a small distributer. They did it twice under special circumstances but other than that don't normally do that.

WKRP's music cost is more than any studio or company would be willing to pay, but Shout did it and it payed off. They had to pay a lot of people for the all those songs, but with The Banana Splits all the songs written for the show were probably done by one person, who is probably the same person who wrote all of The Archie's tunes.

Mark Y

Screenwriter
WKRP's music cost is more than any studio or company would be willing to pay, but Shout did it and it payed off. They had to pay a lot of people for the all those songs, but with The Banana Splits all the songs written for the show were probably done by one person, who is probably the same person who wrote all of The Archie's tunes.

Not one person. As far as songwriters, they included Barry White, Gene Pitney, Al Kooper, Irwin Levine, Tony Powers, Ritchie Adams, Mark Barkan, and others...there was some overlap with the Archies, but Jeff Barry, Andy Kim and Bobby Bloom were not involved with the Splits.

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
Not one person. As far as songwriters, they included Barry White, Gene Pitney, Al Kooper, Irwin Levine, Tony Powers, Ritchie Adams, Mark Barkan, and others...there was some overlap with the Archies, but Jeff Barry, Andy Kim and Bobby Bloom were not involved with the Splits.

Wasn't most of the Bubble Gum Pop of the 60's and early 70's written by the same group of people? It's been awhile since I've seen The Splits since the mid 90's on Cartoon Network, and then I wasn't paying attention to the credits, but for this show like The Archie's and The Groovie Goolies was anyone credited for the songs featured thin their shows?

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
But they greatly saved on the costs on WKRP and Wonder Years by going through a European deal something that the Studio couldn't do legally but they could It was unique to those two shows and they have never done anything like that since then. And I believe their license for those deals was only for 3 years so they printed a huge amount of them.

Mark Y

Screenwriter
Wasn't most of the Bubble Gum Pop of the 60's and early 70's written by the same group of people? It's been awhile since I've seen The Splits since the mid 90's on Cartoon Network, and then I wasn't paying attention to the credits, but for this show like The Archie's and The Groovie Goolies was anyone credited for the songs featured thin their shows?

If you're talking about "bubblegum" by its literal definition -- the Super K/Buddah stuff (1910 Fruitgum Co., Ohio Express, etc.) then yes. The Archies -- while many would call their music bubblegum -- were not part of that. Their music was produced by Jeff Barry under the supervision of Don Kirshner. The music for the Banana Splits was produced by David Mook, who wrote the theme song for either the Dating Game or Newlywed Game, I don't remember which. The Banana Splits songs -- for the most part -- really are not the same kind of music -- more soul-oriented -- at least that's what I hear in the songs...

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
If you're talking about "bubblegum" by its literal definition -- the Super K/Buddah stuff (1910 Fruitgum Co., Ohio Express, etc.) then yes. The Archies -- while many would call their music bubblegum -- were not part of that. Their music was produced by Jeff Barry under the supervision of Don Kirshner. The music for the Banana Splits was produced by David Mook, who wrote the theme song for either the Dating Game or Newlywed Game, I don't remember which. The Banana Splits songs -- for the most part -- really are not the same kind of music -- more soul-oriented -- at least that's what I hear in the songs...

The song in that clip sounds like someone's take on The Animals and Paul Revere & The Raiders.

This is what I found on Wikipedia about the theme song.

The show's theme song, titled "The Tra La La Song (One Banana, Two Banana)", was credited as being written by Ritchie Adams and Mark Barkan, but that was merely contractual. In fact it was written by N.B. Winkless, Jr. on the upright piano in his living room—a piano that also spawned the "Snap, Crackle, Pop" jingle, among others. Adams and Barkan were music directors for the show. The song was released as a single, attributed to the Banana Splits, and peaked at number 96 on Billboard's Top 100 in February 1969.[7] The version included on the We're The Banana Splits album is the same recording heard at the beginning of the show, while the single version is an entirely different arrangement and recording of the song, featuring an additional verse.

Real Name
Michael
I'm still waiting for Warner Bros. to release The Huckleberry Hound Show, Volume 2. I'm pretty sure it will include the remaining episodes Huckleberry Hound, Pixie & Dixie and Yogi Bear that weren't available in Volume 1 along with all the Hokey Wolf episodes.

I'm also waiting for Warner Bros. to release Quick Draw McGraw: the Complete Series, which I do believe will include all the episodes of Snooper & Blabber as well as all the episodes of Augie Doggie & Doggie Daddy.

Not to mention all the episodes of Wally Gator, Touche Turtle & Dum Dum, and Lippy the Lion & Hardy Har Har. Now, several years ago Quick Draw McGraw and Wally Gator were supposed to be released on DVD, but they were put on hold for some reason. Does anyone know when all these cartoons that a lot of us grew up on will be released on DVD eventually?

ClassicTVMan1981X

Screenwriter
Real Name
Benjamin
I'm still waiting for Warner Bros. to release The Huckleberry Hound Show, Volume 2. I'm pretty sure it will include the remaining episodes Huckleberry Hound, Pixie & Dixie and Yogi Bear that weren't available in Volume 1 along with all the Hokey Wolf episodes.

I'm also waiting for Warner Bros. to release Quick Draw McGraw: the Complete Series, which I do believe will include all the episodes of Snooper & Blabber as well as all the episodes of Augie Doggie & Doggie Daddy.

Not to mention all the episodes of Wally Gator, Touche Turtle & Dum Dum, and Lippy the Lion & Hardy Har Har. Now, several years ago Quick Draw McGraw and Wally Gator were supposed to be released on DVD, but they were put on hold for some reason. Does anyone know when all these cartoons that a lot of us grew up on will be released on DVD eventually?
Wally Gator will be released on DVD this June 25.

~Ben

Real Name
Michael
I'm still waiting for Warner Bros. to release Quick Draw McGraw: the Complete Series, which should include all 45 Quick Draw McGraw episodes, as well as all 45 Snooper & Blabber episodes and all 45 Augie Doggie & Doggie Daddy episodes.

I'm also waiting for Warner Bros. to release The Hanna-Barbera New Cartoon Series, which should include all 52 episodes of Wally Gator, all 52 episodes of Touche Turtle & Dum Dum, and all 52 episodes of Lippy the Lion & Hardy Har Har.

Another Hanna-Barbera release that I'm waiting for Warner Bros. to release is the Huckleberry Hound Show, Volume 2, which should include the remaining episodes of Huckleberry Hound that haven't been released on DVD yet, as well as all the Pixie & Dixie episodes that haven't been released yet along with the 13 remaining Yogi Bear episodes that haven't been released yet. It should also include all 28 episodes of Hokey Wolf that haven't been released yet.

Several years ago, Quick Draw McGraw and Wally Gator were supposed to be released, but they were put on hold for some reason. Does anyone when all these remaining Hanna-Barbera classic will be released?

Real Name
Michael
I just checked the Barnes & Noble website, and it's only going to include the Wally Gator episodes and not the Touche Turtle & Dum Dum or Lippy the Lion & Hardy Har Har episodes. Is Warner Bros. currently working on releasing those episodes as well along with the other Hanna-Barbera cartoon classics that haven't been made available to the public yet?

ClassicTVMan1981X

Screenwriter
Real Name
Benjamin
I just checked the Barnes & Noble website, and it's only going to include the Wally Gator episodes and not the Touche Turtle & Dum Dum or Lippy the Lion & Hardy Har Har episodes. Is Warner Bros. currently working on releasing those episodes as well along with the other Hanna-Barbera cartoon classics that haven't been made available to the public yet?
Yes, just this series.

It should be known that, just a few posts ago here according to longtime Hanna-Barbera fan Mark Y., that the title The Hanna-Barbera New Cartoon Series was never officially used onscreen. Each local station that syndicated this series back in the day (1962-1963) could show one or all three segments involved.

~Ben

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
No word on the supporting cartoons. As those supporting characters are more obscure HB, I wouldn't count on it.

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray

That's true of some Banana Splits songs. Others were more orchestrated pop or light psychedelia. This one reminds me of some of the orchestrations of the Beach Boys like Sloop John B:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks