Next Hanna-Barbera set?

Mark Y

Screenwriter
That is true for its original distribution in the 60's which I never saw but since the early 70's it was shown as the Wally Gator show in reruns. But individual releases are still useless for me because I won't watch more than 1-2 of the same HB shorts at one time, too tedious that way and I want to see the assembled show. I will not buy 3 separate releases just to get up and change the disc every 6 minutes and reload to get to the next cartoon in the show. No reason for this. This full show was originally announced for release back in 2005/2006 and then cancelled so they have had 14 years to work on this. There are only individual cartoon openings as you said and no show opening but no reason they can't release this complete the way they did with Yogi Bear, Huckleberry Hound and Magilla Gorilla. No way I'm buying this or any future separated cartoons.
Sorry bad day for me when my top grail show gets a crappy release like this and now I know I will never be able to own it. WAC did reply to my post and mentioned what you did and informed me that they are considering my comments but I'm not holding out much hope.
WGN ran it under the title "Wally Gator" in the 1960s. In some cities it was listed as "Touche Turtle" as well. In any case, they were individual shorts programmed back to back, again as far as I know.

I actually never saw Wally Gator until USA ran it alongside Quick Draw McGraw, Magilla Gorilla and Loopy De Loop (talk about a random group of cartoons) in the 1980s. Then Touche Turtle showed up on the Family Channel.

But there isn't anything to "reassemble." They were separate film reels from the beginning.

I get what you're saying. I don't think I'd want to sit and watch 15 Wally Gators in a row any more than I'd want to watch 15 Road Runners or 15 Misterjaws in a row. Or Loopy De Loop for that matter.

But I'm looking forward to getting these. I hope the other characters get their releases soon. When they released Magilla Gorilla in 2006, I was left hanging until Peter Potamus came out something like 10 years later.

ClassicTVMan1981X

Screenwriter
Real Name
Benjamin
WGN ran it under the title "Wally Gator" in the 1960s. In some cities it was listed as "Touche Turtle" as well. In any case, they were individual shorts programmed back to back, again as far as I know.

I actually never saw Wally Gator until USA ran it alongside Quick Draw McGraw, Magilla Gorilla and Loopy De Loop (talk about a random group of cartoons) in the 1980s. Then Touche Turtle showed up on the Family Channel.

But there isn't anything to "reassemble." They were separate film reels from the beginning.

I get what you're saying. I don't think I'd want to sit and watch 15 Wally Gators in a row any more than I'd want to watch 15 Road Runners or 15 Misterjaws in a row. Or Loopy De Loop for that matter.

But I'm looking forward to getting these. I hope the other characters get their releases soon. When they released Magilla Gorilla in 2006, I was left hanging until Peter Potamus came out something like 10 years later.
The Family Channel also reran these segments:
Augie Doggie and Doggie Daddy (Quick Draw McGraw)
Snooper and Blabber (Quick Draw McGraw)
Lippy the Lion and Hardy Har-Har
Squiddly Diddly (Magilla Gorilla)
Ricochet Rabbit and Droop-A-Long (Magilla Gorilla)

I remember USA Network's Cartoon Express had every component making up both The Huckleberry Hound Show and The Yogi Bear Show (Huckleberry Hound, Pixie and Dixie and Mr. Jinks, Yogi Bear, Snagglepuss and Yakky Doodle).

In the case of both Magilla Gorilla and Peter Potamus, Breezly and Sneezly was the missing link, as that segment was part of Peter Potamus in the 1964-65 season, and then part of Magilla Gorilla when that show went into reruns in the 1965-66 season.

~Ben

Last edited:

ClassicTVMan1981X

Screenwriter
Real Name
Benjamin
Really wish more sixties and seventies cartoons were available. Even the non HB ones.

--jthree
James,

I agree... still to come on my list...
The Ruff and Reddy Show (all three seasons, 1957-1960)
The Huckleberry Hound Show (seasons 2-4, 1959-1962)
The Quick Draw McGraw Show (all four seasons, early 1959-1962)
Touche Turtle and Dum-Dum
The Adventures of Gulliver
The Banana Splits Adventure Hour
Cattanooga Cats
The Flintstone Comedy Hour
(1972-73)
These Are the Days
The (New) Tom and Jerry/Grape Ape Show
The Mumbly Cartoon Show
The Scooby-Doo/Dynomutt Hour
(season 2, 1977)
Skatebirds (the full 1-hour series)
C.B. Bears (the full 1-hour series)
The Three Robonic Stooges (the additional segments that aired after the original 1-hour Skatebirds run concluded in January 1978)
Yogi's Space Race (the full 1-hour series)
Jana of the Jungle
The New Fred and Barney Show
(DVD)
Casper and the Angels
The Thing
The New Shmoo
The Richie Rich/Scooby-Doo Show
(volumes 2-3)
The Flintstone Comedy Show (1980-81) (DVD)
Trollkins
Jokebook
The Gary Coleman Show
Wildfire

~Ben

Reactions: Mark Y

JamesSmith

Screenwriter
Ben,

Were you able to strike Wally Gator off your list?

Do you have Wait till Your Father Comes Home season 2 on your list?

James

ClassicTVMan1981X

Screenwriter
Real Name
Benjamin
Ben,

Were you able to strike Wally Gator off your list?

Do you have Wait till Your Father Comes Home season 2 on your list?

James
James,

Wally Gator not on the list because I know it's due for release.

But I will copy it to include... (newest title I added is in italics)
The Ruff and Reddy Show (all three seasons, 1957-1960)
The Huckleberry Hound Show (seasons 2-4, 1959-1962)
The Quick Draw McGraw Show (all four seasons, early 1959-1962)
Touche Turtle and Dum-Dum
The Adventures of Gulliver
The Banana Splits Adventure Hour
Cattanooga Cats
The Flintstone Comedy Hour
(1972-73)
Wait Till Your Father Gets Home (seasons 2-3)
These Are the Days
The (New) Tom and Jerry/Grape Ape Show
The Mumbly Cartoon Show
The Scooby-Doo/Dynomutt Hour
(season 2, 1977)
Skatebirds (the full 1-hour series)
C.B. Bears (the full 1-hour series)
The Three Robonic Stooges (the additional segments that aired after the original 1-hour Skatebirds run concluded in January 1978)
Yogi's Space Race (the full 1-hour series)
Jana of the Jungle
The New Fred and Barney Show
(DVD)
Casper and the Angels
The Thing
The New Shmoo
The Richie Rich/Scooby-Doo Show
(volumes 2-3)
The Flintstone Comedy Show (1980-81) (DVD)
Trollkins
Jokebook
The Gary Coleman Show
Wildfire

~Ben

dawnshadow

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dawn
To be fair, I think that was worth a try. Obviously if it had worked out in our favor and we got the extra 2 cartoons, you’d feel differently. Ultimately it was a worthwhile gamble and we lost. But with the way things went with the Looney Tunes sets, I doubt we would have got past Volume 2 regardless. I just wish that many people would complain to WB about squeezing The New Scooby-Doo Movies on two Blu-ray discs, then maybe crap like that would come to a halt.

Randy Korstick

Cinematographer
Senior HTF Member

Think if you were left hanging for Peter Potamus and then you only got that cartoon and not the rest of the show and then had to hope for the rest of the show later.I know there is nothing to assemble as there were no show openings and closings and no connecting parts just opening/closing credits for each cartoon but that is not the point. They were created together be seen as a show just as the Huckleberry Hound, Yogi Bear and Quick Draw McGraw shows were. This is no different than breaking up those shows. TV stations at that time requested individual opening/closing titles so that they could add them to other shows if they wanted but most stations still ran them together as one show and this was only between 1962-1966 after that in reruns it was shown as The Wally Gator show. You mentioned you never saw this until the 80's on USA which surprises me but I did. This was a childhood favorite of mine since I was 6 in 1972 and I watched it as the complete Wally Gator show into the 1980's. A childhood favorite that looks like I will never be able to own unless they release it proper later down the road which I know is doubtful. I never saw any of USA cartoon express as I was in my early 20's then and not watching much tv. But I know they broke up shows and showed them their own way which is their prerogative.
This is just a low effort release by WAC to get something out without much work and maximize profits down the road. There are a few post on facebook already of people who are asking if this is the complete show and then disappointed when they get an answer. The product is somewhat misleading by saying Complete series. People are assuming that it is the complete show based on that. I think their decision to release it like this is a mistake. I think they will get quite a few returns on this after people receive it and realize it is not the complete show.

Reactions: Greg Chenoweth

Randy Korstick

Cinematographer
Senior HTF Member
To be fair, I think that was worth a try. Obviously if it had worked out in our favor and we got the extra 2 cartoons, you’d feel differently. Ultimately it was a worthwhile gamble and we lost. But with the way things went with the Looney Tunes sets, I doubt we would have got past Volume 2 regardless. I just wish that many people would complain to WB about squeezing The New Scooby-Doo Movies on two Blu-ray discs, then maybe crap like that would come to a halt.
Amazon frequently lists product information incorrect before it comes out. If they are releasing 26 half episodes of Jonny Quest on 3 Blu Rays then there is no way they are releasing 23 hour long episodes on 2 blu rays. I'm sure It will be a 4 disc set.

JoeDoakes

Effects Supervisor
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Amazon frequently lists product information incorrect before it comes out. If they are releasing 26 half episodes of Jonny Quest on 3 Blu Rays then there is no way they are releasing 23 hour long episodes on 2 blu rays. I'm sure It will be a 4 disc set.
BD50s hold a lot of information. I have no idea how much can be well stored on these. I was surprised that there were more discs on JQ than the New Scooby Doo Movies.

JoeDoakes

Effects Supervisor
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
The animation market was already on the decline when Volume 2 was announced. Having a lot of people say they wouldn't buy without the two cartoons only guaranteed that fans would get nothing.

Randy Korstick

Cinematographer
Senior HTF Member
BD50s hold a lot of information. I have no idea how much can be well stored on these. I was surprised that there were more discs on JQ than the New Scooby Doo Movies.
There is no confirmation from Warner that these are on 2 discs just prerelease info from Amazon. Amazons prerelease info is frequently wrong on aspect ratios, Audio Format, Runtimes, number of discs, etc. Based on the price it should be a 4 disc set.

Reactions: Greg Chenoweth

Randy Korstick

Cinematographer
Senior HTF Member
The animation market was already on the decline when Volume 2 was announced. Having a lot of people say they wouldn't buy without the two cartoons only guaranteed that fans would get nothing.
Apples and Oranges here. Those two cartoons Warner did not want to release because of PC issues. No reason they cannot release the complete show here. I'm not watching multiple cartoons of these because they are tedious that way and I'm not buying a release of three different cartoons that should have been released together and then have to get up every 6 minutes to change the disc. So since I would not watch this the way they are releasing it then it is of no value to me. Not a boycott just the release is no use to me and of course a huge disappointment because it was among my most wanted grail items.

JoeDoakes

Effects Supervisor
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Apples and Oranges here. Those two cartoons Warner did not want to release because of PC issues. No reason they cannot release the complete show here. I'm not watching multiple cartoons of these because they are tedious that way and I'm not buying a release of three different cartoons that should have been released together and then have to get up every 6 minutes to change the disc. So since I would not watch this the way they are releasing it then it is of no value to me. Not a boycott just the release is no use to me and of course a huge disappointment because it was among my most wanted grail items.
That's a fair point and I respect your decision. The supporting cartoons are not as big of a deal to me, and I think it's important to support this release as it is the first pre-80s release of a new show in several years and I want there to be more.

Larry.P

Stunt Coordinator
There is no confirmation from Warner that these are on 2 discs just prerelease info from Amazon. Amazons prerelease info is frequently wrong on aspect ratios, Audio Format, Runtimes, number of discs, etc. Based on the price it should be a 4 disc set.
The verbiage on the rear cover art posted at WBSHOP says "This 2-disc Blu-ray set features 23 of the best and spookiest capers".

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wombat