1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Next Hanna-Barbera set?

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Matthew Green, Oct 6, 2004.

1. Mark Y

Mark Y Supporting Actor

Clever, then they can sell us three sets instead of one. (At least I hope so, I hope the others aren't left hanging.)

It does make sense though, given that there are 52 of each. Granted, they are shorter than the average H-B cartoon of the era.

I'm in!

Greg Chenoweth likes this.
  2. JoeDoakes

JoeDoakes Cinematographer

Ray
    Is there confirmation that the supporting cartoons are not there or that the total number of cartoons is 52? It's not the biggest deal to me as some of the early 60s HB supporting cartoons can get tedious.

3. JoeDoakes

Ray
  4. Message #4164 of 4345 May 24, 2019
    Last edited: May 24, 2019
    ClassicTVMan1981X

ClassicTVMan1981X Supporting Actor

Benjamin
    It would indeed be a tedious sell if Lippy the Lion and Hardy Har-Har and Touche Turtle and Dum-Dum were also to be included. 156 total segments from all three components of the series that goes by the name The Hanna-Barbera New Cartoon Series, also known as The Wally Gator Show (if one refers to the leading segment of the series, just as with The Huckleberry Hound Show, The Quick Draw McGraw Show and The Yogi Bear Show).

I am happy with just Wally Gator for now!

~Ben

JoeDoakes likes this.
  5. Randy Korstick

Randy Korstick Producer

This is a slap in the face. Wally Gator by itself? Sorry this show was top 3 on my wishlist but I will not buy a butchered version. Its one thing to release the shows without connecting parts I can understand that but releasing only 1/3 of a show. It looks like they are trying to charge 3 times as much for a single show but I really doubt Lippy the lion gets a stand alone release maybe touché turtle. Definitely no sale. One of Wacs biggest fans is now a non-fan.

6. JoeDoakes

Ray
    It would be nice if WA would consider licensing those. They are not far away from some of the cartoons Kino has released. BTW: IMO you should go ahead and buy it. Perfection will likely never come.

7. Randy Korstick

Randy Korstick Producer

I won't buy something that I will never watch that's wasting money. Watching more than 1 or 2 of the same cartoon in row is tedious. That's why they designed the shows with 3 different cartoons. I would never pop a DVD in just to watch one or two shorts so like I said I would never watch this. It will show up boomerang this way if I ever wanted to watch any. I will not support a lack luster release with no effort put into it. This should have been released as a volume 1 and volume 2 because of the number of episodes.

8. Randy Korstick

Randy Korstick Producer

Kino released theatrical cartoons only although a few later Pink Panthers were only shown on TV. I don't think they have any interest in TV cartoons also WAC doesn't seem interested in licensing HB.

9. Randy Korstick

Randy Korstick Producer

I just voiced my complaint and concerns with WAC as a private message and let them know I will not be purchasing this. I'm sure they will reply. What a way to ruin your Friday.

10. ClassicTVMan1981X

Benjamin
    I will take Wally Gator as it is!

~Ben

Greg Chenoweth and Sean Thompson like this.
  11. ClassicTVMan1981X

Benjamin
    I am sorry, but when I saw Randy's comment about his complaint to WAC about Wally Gator, I had to block him both here and on Facebook. I will not allow his views of this and other releases to detract me and the rest of us from buying!

Randy and I are both perfectionists, but we have to accept each new release as it is. It would not be feasible for WAC to put the entire Hanna-Barbera New Cartoon Series in its 156-segment form at this time. If Wally Gator sells well, maybe they might work on Lippy the Lion and Hardy Har-Har and Touche Turtle and Dum-Dum as well.

~Ben

Conrad_SSS likes this.
  12. Greg Chenoweth

Greg Chenoweth Supporting Actor

What do you mean you had to block him? He is entitled to his opinion just like everyone else. He has been a member for a long time and I appreciate Randy’s points of view, just as much as everyone else, whether I agree with them or not.

Gary OS, JamesSmith and Mark Y like this.
  13. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    Let's calm down as emotions are a little too hot in this thread. If you want to place another member on "Ignore" or "Block" them on FB that's your prerogative, but let's stop the public feuding by announcing such actions. Agree to disagree then do you what you have to do without making public announcements.

14. JoeDoakes

Ray
    Wally Gator is the first new classic HB Archive release since Peter Pot\amus. If it sells well, there may be more. I'll take it with its imperfections.

15. Message #4175 of 4345 May 24, 2019
    ClassicTVMan1981X

Benjamin
    Robert,

I am sorry for having took this course of action here.

~Ben

16. Message #4176 of 4345 May 24, 2019
    Mark Y

Mark Y Supporting Actor

"The New Hanna-Barbera Cartoon Series" was an industry distribution title only, never used on the air.

It was not a "show" per se. It was a package of 156 individual cartoon shorts (52 for each of the three characters) distributed to local TV stations to air in whichever format they chose. (Kind of like the various packages of theatrical cartoons in TV distribution back then.) As filmed elements to be used in a live local production, as time fillers, or three in a half hour if a station chose. It was never formatted as a half-hour show, despite what Wrongopedia says. As far as I know, there are no issues with show openings, closings or bumpers for them to have lost over the years, because they never existed in the first place.

That said, it might be better to have it all in one place. But as long as they all get released (and I know there is no guarantee of that), I'm fine with it.

Greg Chenoweth and JoeDoakes like this.
  17. JoeDoakes

Ray
    That's cool. We're a pretty peaceful bunch here.

18. ClassicTVMan1981X

Benjamin
    Mark,

Wow... then now I see why the Wally Gator DVD is being marketed the way it is. Thank you for clearing that up! Though I hope they can do the same for Lippy the Lion and Hardy Har-Har and Touche Turtle and Dum-Dum in the future.

~Ben

19. Randy Korstick

Randy Korstick Producer

That is true for its original distribution in the 60's which I never saw but since the early 70's it was shown as the Wally Gator show in reruns. But individual releases are still useless for me because I won't watch more than 1-2 of the same HB shorts at one time, too tedious that way and I want to see the assembled show. I will not buy 3 separate releases just to get up and change the disc every 6 minutes and reload to get to the next cartoon in the show. No reason for this. This full show was originally announced for release back in 2005/2006 and then cancelled so they have had 14 years to work on this. There are only individual cartoon openings as you said and no show opening but no reason they can't release this complete the way they did with Yogi Bear, Huckleberry Hound and Magilla Gorilla. No way I'm buying this or any future separated cartoons.
    Sorry bad day for me when my top grail show gets a crappy release like this and now I know I will never be able to own it. WAC did reply to my post and mentioned what you did and informed me that they are considering my comments but I'm not holding out much hope.

20. Message #4180 of 4345 May 24, 2019
    ClassicTVMan1981X

Benjamin
    I am seriously ignoring what Randy says of the Wally Gator DVD.

I mean, what he did in inquiring to Warner Archive could delay the set further and that is what worries me.

~Ben

Conrad_SSS likes this.