1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Next Hanna-Barbera set?

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Matthew Green, Oct 6, 2004.

1. ClassicTVMan1981X

ClassicTVMan1981X Supporting Actor

Benjamin
    For those of you that bought the Paw Paws DVD recently, have any of you spot-checked every episode to be sure the original Hanna-Barbera "Swirling Star" logos are intact?

Season 1 (1985) originally had this logo (used from 1983-86):

Season 2 (1986), though, went for the CGI version:

~Ben

2. Greg Chenoweth

Greg Chenoweth Supporting Actor

3EC84DCF-EA4C-4F46-9F9B-44BE4E0C3D8C. From Warner Archive on Facebook:

NEW 2019 1080p HD MASTERS!

JONNY QUEST: THE COMPLETE ORIGINAL SERIES (1964)

Run Time 572:00
    Subtitles English SDH
    Sound Quality DTS HD-Master Audio 2.0 - English
    Aspect Ratio ORIGINAL ASPECT RATIO - 1.33:1, 4 X 3 FULL FRAME
    Product Color COLOR
    Disc Configuration 3-BD 50s
    Special Features: Jonny Quest: Adventures in Animation - featurette on animators ; Double Danger: Special version of this episode with Quest Files - fun, facts and trivia; Jonny Quest Video Handbook; Vintage P.F. Flyers Sneaker Commercial

TV’s first animated action-adventure series is about to take you on a breathless ride. All 26 episodes charting the fantastic exploits of brave and brainy 11-year-old Jonathan Quest are yours in a 3-disc set, as originally first broadcast in prime-time on ABC-TV during the 1964-65 season. Unlike the outrageous fantasy plots of cartoons that preceded it, Jonny Quest drew on science and detective-style logic to solve mysteries and apprehend sophisticated villains. Viewers were transported to exotic locales as Jonny’s dad, Dr. Benton Quest, tackled each new government assignment, aided by ex-agent “Race” Bannon, Indian boy Hadji, family bulldog Bandit... and, of course, his fearless son Jonny.

3. Sean Thompson

Sean Thompson Stunt Coordinator

Sean
  4. Message #4144 of 4540 May 19, 2019
    Last edited: May 19, 2019
    ClassicTVMan1981X

Benjamin
    If The Scooby-Doo/Dynomutt Hour is ever to be released on Blu-Ray, which I hope will be the case, not only should the original single-sequence opening and closing credits referencing both segments be reinstated, as well as the original short segmental opening for Dynomutt, Dog Wonder, the following bumpers should also be added back on:
    a. the opening preview bumper covering the week's segments, which was seen right after the opening credits
    b. the "Stay Tuned" bumper during the Scooby-Doo segment
    c. the preview bumper for the Dynomutt, Dog Wonder segment, seen right after the end of the Scooby-Doo one.
    d. the "Stay Tuned" bumper during the Dynomutt segment
    e. the closing preview bumper covering next week's segments, seen right after the end of the Dynomutt segment and before the 45-second closing credits.

~Ben

Sean Thompson and Greg Chenoweth like this.
  5. Randy Korstick

Randy Korstick Producer

I think this is where we are at going forward we will only reissues of the popular titles on blu ray and an occasional really obscure 80's or 90's title on DVD. I have given up on the many titles on the remainder of my wish list ever coming on DVD. Boomerang is the only place I have hope to see them and once they are there almost no chance of DVD because the sales potential is cut in half by releasing the show for streaming.

Greg Chenoweth likes this.
  6. Brian Himes

Brian Himes Screenwriter

Brian
    I'm with you on this one. I have given up also. I did finally breakdown and get the UK release of the syndicated version of The Banana Splits. For me, this wasn't going to come out here so this was the only option. While I'm not thrilled that these are the hacked up syndicated versions of the original show, it's better than nothing. I did have all of these taped off Boomerang and transfered them to DVD.

Sadly, I no longer have access to Boomerang so anything left on my wish list will have to remain there.

7. Greg Chenoweth

8. Traveling Matt

Traveling Matt Supporting Actor

Thanks for the update, Greg. It's great to see another Popeye as expected, but there's 122 Famous cartoons. At only another 14-15 films on this volume, it's a little hard to see how their goal is to release all of them.

9. JamesSmith

JamesSmith Screenwriter

Should we tell Randy K.?

--jthree

10. Message #4152 of 4540 May 23, 2019
    Last edited: May 23, 2019
    ClassicTVMan1981X

Benjamin
    I remember this title was originally planned for release on DVD back in 2006, three years before Warner Archive even existed. Glad to see the long wait is finally over for us Wally Gator fans!

~Ben

LeoA and Greg Chenoweth like this.
  11. Greg Chenoweth

I understand the frustration. However, when Warner Home Video first started putting out POPEYE DVD's in 2007, they started out with a four-disc set and it did not sell well. Then they tried two different 2-disc sets of the black and white cartoons and they did not sell well either. The single disc format is selling well. Perhaps if sales continue to be healthy then they will try a multiple disc set again. I almost forgot. Warner Archive did try another 2-disc set of Popeye cartoons from the 1960's in 2013 and it only sold mediocre as well. Hopefully some day they will be able to pick up the pace.

Traveling Matt likes this.
  12. ClassicTVMan1981X

Benjamin
    I wonder how a two-disc set of the Hanna-Barbera-era Popeye (The All-New Popeye Show, later The Popeye and Olive Comedy Show) would sell these days?

~Ben

Greg Chenoweth and Sean Thompson like this.
  13. Sean Thompson

Sean Thompson Stunt Coordinator

Sean
    June is shaping up to be an expensive month. No complaints though

14. Traveling Matt

Traveling Matt Supporting Actor

All true but those early retail sets were packed with expensive extras, were only the black & whites, and the economy was tanking. This is still the original theatrical series, in color with no extras, BDs can hold more, there's a set number of films left, and the iron is hot now. It's a shame. Certainly it doesn't suggest an effective strategy to apply to a larger unreleased library like the Looney Tunes. But at least Popeye is still coming for now so that's good.

15. Mark Y

Mark Y Supporting Actor

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am very happy to hear this, especially about Wally Gator, which I had assumed was permanently "back-burnered!"

However, the link doesn't work. Can you tell me the specifics, when it's coming out, etc.?

Is it just Wally Gator only or will this include Touche and Lippy/Hardy?

16. dawnshadow

dawnshadow Stunt Coordinator

Dawn
    The link doesn’t work because of forum nonsense. Just search “Wally Gator” on the WBShop website.

17. Greg Chenoweth

Wally Gator comes out June 25th from Warmer Archive. It is the complete cartoon collection of Wally; all 52 cartoons. No Touché or Lippy coming out at this time.

Mark Y likes this.
  18. Message #4160 of 4540 May 24, 2019
    Last edited: May 24, 2019
    ClassicTVMan1981X

Benjamin
    The forum will need to be fixed because of this... just saying. I know, I tried to copy a few links from there a couple of times a while before, and they didn't work because of this forum's buggy software.

~Ben