What's new

Next Hanna-Barbera set? (4 Viewers)

ClassicTVMan1981X

Screenwriter
Real Name
Benjamin
Where did those half-hour versions run? I never heard about them until reading about them on the internet.

I did recently run across something about "C.B. Bears" having been repeated on "Captain Kangaroo" as late as 1982.
I remember watching the 1/2-hour C.B. Bears on Cartoon Network in 1995-96 (during the '70s Super Explosion block), and it consisted of the title segments, the Blast-Off Buzzard segments, and the Posse Impossible segments. They were also re-ran individually as filler between programs, along with all three of the segments making up the Heyyy, It's the King! syndicated package.

~Ben

ClassicTVMan1981X

Screenwriter
Real Name
Benjamin
Although the Captain Caveman and the Teen Angels DVD set focused only on the 1977-78 and 1980 11-minute segments, 40 in all, I cannot help wondering if they could've also included the late 1980 and '81 segments (without the Teen Angels) that aired as part of NBC's The Flintstone Comedy Show, as to give us an early sampling of that series?

~Ben

Mark Y

Screenwriter
I asked Warner Archive about THE HARLEM GLOBETROTTERS 1970 series and an update on HUCKLEBERRY HOUND.

First GLOBETROTTERS: Unfortunately, we have no rights to this series. Thanks.

Next, HUCKLEBERRY: The clearance issues that have precluded release in years past remain problematic, thereby precluding DVD release at this time. Thanks.

So just asking...what does one do when one wants to complete one's collection, and one is only missing a handful of cartoons...

Friendsfa32

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jason
So just asking...what does one do when one wants to complete one's collection, and one is only missing a handful of cartoons...

easy, you build your own collection from as high quality possible TV recordings / 16 or 35 mm transfers/ etc / etc....

that's what i've been doing since like 2005,
and i'm missing almost nothing, not counting the 1980's/1990's,
since most of those shows i don't care for.

Brian Himes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
Or, you get a region free DVD player and purchase what has been released overseas but not here in the US. I had to do that for The Archie & Sabrina Surprise Package (the new half-hour segments from The New Archie & Sabrina Hour) and The Banana Splits. I know that these are cut down half-hour versions for both of those shows but this was the only way to get them. Plus, with the Banana Splits, I got tired of waiting and the chance of if getting released correctly is pretty slim. The existing elements for the Splits are in need of serious restoration and not configured to the original hour long broadcast versions.

seanrt

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Sean
I bought a PAL version of DePatie-Freleng’s Spider-Woman (Marvel) on DVD. I didn’t have the money for a region free but since I stream a lot of my media I ripped the series to my computer and it works great. I wish that could be one of the DePatie-Freleng titles we’d get on blu. I love that show.

Friendsfa32

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jason
no money? a region free dvd player costs like 30 or 40 us dollars, no?
so you CAN buy dvd's, and are waiting for blu-ray titles etc, but "HAVE NO MONEY FOR A REGION FREE DVD PLAYER"
yeah, makes total sense...... (super sarcasm implied here)

ClassicTVMan1981X

Screenwriter
Real Name
Benjamin
Please, let's get back to discussing about which Hanna-Barbera titles will next be available for DVD or streaming.

What I'd like to see on either or both (hopefully both), are...
Ruff and Reddy (1957)
The Fantastic Four (1967)
The Adventures of Gulliver (1968)
The Banana Splits Adventure Hour (1968)
The Cattanooga Cats (1969)
The Flintstone Comedy Hour (CBS) (1972-73)
These are the Days (1974-75)
The (New) Tom and Jerry/Grape Ape Show (1975)
The Mumbly Cartoon Show (1976)
C.B. Bears (1977)
Skatebirds (1977)
Yogi's Space Race (1978)
Jana of the Jungle (1978)
Casper and the Angels (1979)
The Thing (1979)
The New Shmoo (1979)
Trollkins (1981)
The Gary Coleman Show (1982)
Wildfire (1986)

~Ben

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Please, let's get back to discussing about which Hanna-Barbera titles will next be available for DVD or streaming.

What I'd like to see on either or both (hopefully both), are...
Ruff and Reddy (1957)
The Fantastic Four (1967)
The Adventures of Gulliver (1968)
The Banana Splits Adventure Hour (1968)
The Cattanooga Cats (1969)
The Flintstone Comedy Hour (CBS) (1972-73)
These are the Days (1974-75)
The (New) Tom and Jerry/Grape Ape Show (1975)
The Mumbly Cartoon Show (1976)
C.B. Bears (1977)
Skatebirds (1977)
Yogi's Space Race (1978)
Jana of the Jungle (1978)
Casper and the Angels (1979)
The Thing (1979)
The New Shmoo (1979)
Trollkins (1981)
The Gary Coleman Show (1982)
Wildfire (1986)

~Ben
Ok, but anyone who doesn't have the British Banana Splits Show needs to get it. A number of good ones here. I'd particularly love to see Fantastic Four. It would make a great companion to the first season of the original Spider Man Show.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
Ok, but anyone who doesn't have the British Banana Splits Show needs to get it. A number of good ones here. I'd particularly love to see Fantastic Four. It would make a great companion to the first season of the original Spider Man Show.
WAC replied frequently to questions about Fantastic Four (1967) Basically nothing they can do as the rights are split between them and Disney so its unlikely it will be released.

ClassicTVMan1981X

Screenwriter
Real Name
Benjamin
WAC replied frequently to questions about Fantastic Four (1967) Basically nothing they can do as the rights are split between them and Disney so its unlikely it will be released.
Same thing with, ahem, 1979's The Thing. Marvel has the rights to the character itself, but H-B has the rights to whatever content was made specifically for it which didn't previously appear in the related comic books.

~Ben

Mark Y

Screenwriter
easy, you build your own collection from as high quality possible TV recordings / 16 or 35 mm transfers/ etc / etc....

that's what i've been doing since like 2005,
and i'm missing almost nothing, not counting the 1980's/1990's,
since most of those shows i don't care for.

Re: Huckleberry Hound, I have done that, since the 1980s. I'm not sure of the exact figure -- going through all the stuff -- but in one form or another, I think I'm only out about a half dozen cartoons.

Friendsfa32

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jason
on the topic of missing shows,

could someone help me with an issue here...
i could have sworn that Hokey Wolf had an episode aired on Cartoon Express, that used a different title?
i know it was "Hokey's Missing Millions" ,
but they retitled it to something like "Hokey Millionaire" or something similar...

anyone know about this?
it's been a few years since i looked that up,
and now i can't find said info anymore at all...

i would love to find that Cartoon Express airing.

Mark Y

Screenwriter
on the topic of missing shows,

could someone help me with an issue here...
i could have sworn that Hokey Wolf had an episode aired on Cartoon Express, that used a different title?
i know it was "Hokey's Missing Millions" ,
but they retitled it to something like "Hokey Millionaire" or something similar...

anyone know about this?
it's been a few years since i looked that up,
and now i can't find said info anymore at all...

i would love to find that Cartoon Express airing.

They aired it under the title "Hokey Millionnaire" (sic, with two "n's").

Very oddball title on that one. No character name, generic block lettering on the title, image of Snagglepuss from the "Be My Ghost" title card, Huckleberry Hound's fanfare music, and an added "video iris out" at the end.

I wonder if that didn't originate from some international TV version. I have it -- I posted it to You Tube several years ago, don't know if it's still there.

Mark Y

Screenwriter
Speaking of Hokey Wolf -- the USA Huckleberry Hound show was originally aired and promoted under the Yogi Bear title. Most shows started with the Yogi opening and ended with the Huck closing, and consisted of Yogi/Pixie & Dixie/Huck.

Early on, a few bumpers were included, from both shows. The ones from the Huckleberry Hound show were edited to cut Hokey Wolf out if he happened to be in them.

Some later half-hours in the run represented the Yogi Bear show, with the Yogi Bear closing, and those featured some combination of Snagglepuss, Yakky Doodle and Hokey Wolf, who was originally part of the Huckleberry Hound show, but was thrown in with the Yogi Bear show for the USA airings.

They didn't have all the cartoons of these three characters. When USA lost the rights to Yogi (as Yogi was relaunched into syndication in 1988), they reformatted the shows, replacing all the Yogi cartoons with either Snag, Yakky or Hokey.

This happened about midway through the USA run.

Friendsfa32

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jason
They aired it under the title "Hokey Millionnaire" (sic, with two "n's").

Very oddball title on that one. No character name, generic block lettering on the title, image of Snagglepuss from the "Be My Ghost" title card, Huckleberry Hound's fanfare music, and an added "video iris out" at the end.

I wonder if that didn't originate from some international TV version. I have it -- I posted it to You Tube several years ago, don't know if it's still there.

PM'd you.

ClassicTVMan1981X

Screenwriter
Real Name
Benjamin
I would get any of the Yogi's Space Race-related programs on DVD even if they decide to sell them as their own half-hour segments (Yogi's Space Race, Galaxy Goof-Ups, and Buford and the Galloping Ghost) rather than the entire 90-minute series. This would be better than nothing!

~Ben

Friendsfa32

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jason
pretty sure there's a higher chance for any show to be added to the online streaming sites, before any new dvd releases....

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks