What's new

Next Hanna-Barbera set? (1 Viewer)

Mark Y

Screenwriter
If it's "The New Fred & Barney Show," that is a 1979 series which was a midseason replacement on NBC. They made 17 episides, then because this was Saturday morning on NBC with Fred "Let's Combine Unrelated Shows Into One Big Show" Silverman at the helm, they changed the format to "Fred & Barney Meet The Thing" and then "Fred & Barney Meet The Shmoo" (which also continued to feature The Thing).

They did some, not many, but some, new episodes which first ran in the "Meet The Thing" format. I hope if this show gets released, they release all the segments, but seeing how they did not do that with Scooby-Doo/Dynomutt, I won't get my hopes up.

Fred & Barney wasn't a bad show. It was kind of a return to the classic Flintstones format. (For some reason, I want this series, yet I have zero interest in the 1980s Jetsons.) The "Frankenstones" specials (which WAC has already released) were kind of a spin-off. I think some of the episodes were based on Honeymooners sketches.

This was the show with the theme song line "we'll have a GREAT old time," because, you know...

ClassicTVMan1981X

Screenwriter
Real Name
Benjamin
If it's "The New Fred & Barney Show," that is a 1979 series which was a midseason replacement on NBC. They made 17 episides, then because this was Saturday morning on NBC with Fred "Let's Combine Unrelated Shows Into One Big Show" Silverman at the helm, they changed the format to "Fred & Barney Meet The Thing" and then "Fred & Barney Meet The Shmoo" (which also continued to feature The Thing).

They did some, not many, but some, new episodes which first ran in the "Meet The Thing" format. I hope if this show gets released, they release all the segments, but seeing how they did not do that with Scooby-Doo/Dynomutt, I won't get my hopes up.

Fred & Barney wasn't a bad show. It was kind of a return to the classic Flintstones format. (For some reason, I want this series, yet I have zero interest in the 1980s Jetsons.) The "Frankenstones" specials (which WAC has already released) were kind of a spin-off. I think some of the episodes were based on Honeymooners sketches.

This was the show with the theme song line "we'll have a GREAT old time," because, you know...
Only 10 episodes were shown of the series solo, with the last seven having aired when it was part of the two larger blocks.

WAC released Captain Caveman and the Teen Angels on DVD, all 20 episodes (2 segments per show) intact, in 2013... having said that, I do not think it will be abridged. I do hope all 17 episodes of The New Fred and Barney Show will be intact!

~Ben

Last edited:

Mark Y

Screenwriter
Only 10 episodes were shown of the series solo, with the last seven being when it was part of the two larger blocks.

WAC released Captain Caveman and the Teen Angels on DVD, all 20 episodes (2 segments per show) intact, in 2013... having said that, I do not think it will be abridged. I do hope all 17 episodes of The New Fred and Barney Show will be intact!

~Ben

Y'know, that was what I always thought -- that they only produced 17 -- but I could swear (or affirm) that I ran across a list somewhere online with something like 24, with the last seven having aired on the longer shows. But that isn't necessarily correct.

Of course, there was new animation in the form of skits shown between the cartoons on "Meet The Thing."

Then there was the second version of the "Comedy Hour," and those prime time specials, which I remember NBC repeating as a weekly series later, in the summer or fall of 1982, in Walt Disney's old timeslot.

Last edited:

Mark Y

Screenwriter
From Digital Bits:
"Warner Bros Home Entertainment has just unveiled their new Hanna-Barbera Diamond Collection line of DVD and digital releases, set to include a wave of “over 70 seasons of the most popular animated titles of the 50s, 60s and 70s, many of which have not been released on DVD and digital until now.” Some of these rebranded DVD packages have been available previously, including the likes of The Flintstones, The Jetsons, Scooby-Doo, and Yogi Bear, with more set to come through December of this year. All of this is being done to celebrate the 60th anniversary of the founding of William Hanna and Joseph Barbera’s iconic animation studio."
http://www.thedigitalbits.com/columns/my-two-cents/062217-1600
I wonder what will be coming that hasnt been released. It says "Many". Exciting news!

Okay..."through December of this year" (meaning last year)...does that mean they're done with whatever they were going to do?

Just asking.

Dave Lawrence

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dave
I'll be happy to see any additional Flintstones releases (not counting Flintstone Kids, which I have no use for), but I'd especially hope to see the original "Comedy Hour". I've seen very little of it; probably just what got recycled as part of the "Fred Flintstone and Friends" package. Since it's the last original Flintstones project with Alan Reed as Fred, I'd really like to finally have it available someday.

Mark Y

Screenwriter
I'll be happy to see any additional Flintstones releases (not counting Flintstone Kids, which I have no use for), but I'd especially hope to see the original "Comedy Hour". I've seen very little of it; probably just what got recycled as part of the "Fred Flintstone and Friends" package. Since it's the last original Flintstones project with Alan Reed as Fred, I'd really like to finally have it available someday.

One thing about The Flintstone Comedy Hour (which was repeated on USA in a half-hour format with "Comedy Show" pasted over "Comedy Hour" in a sloppy video edit) -- while it was originally a one-hour show, half of the hour was a repeated episode of "Pebbles And Bamm-Bamm." So I guess releasing this in half-hour form makes sense.

If there really is talk of releasing "Fred And Barney" next (skipping the "Comedy Hour"), I sure hope it isn't because of some music rights issue or something.

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Okay..."through December of this year" (meaning last year)...does that mean they're done with whatever they were going to do?

Just asking.

Wow. I didn't even know that the Digital Bits existed anymore. This might explain why 2017 was such a weak year for HB titles, they were saving them for 2018 so they could tie them into the 60th Anniversary (WHV always loved anniversaries). Hopefully, this bodes very well for releases for the rest of the year!

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
Wow. I didn't even know that the Digital Bits existed anymore. This might explain why 2017 was such a weak year for HB titles, they were saving them for 2018 so they could tie them into the 60th Anniversary (WHV always loved anniversaries). Hopefully, this bodes very well for releases for the rest of the year!
That post was for 2017 not 2018. But all they released for the celebration was re-releases nothing new except for a couple obscure 80's titles and so far that's all we have got this year.:(

Towergrove

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sarah
Does anyone know what titles are only available on Electronic Sell thru vs disc? So far Ive found Yo Yogi and The Fred and Barney Show. I'm thinking Ive forgot a few of them.

Im wondering what happened to the big anniversary plans last year with the promise of many seasons being released that have never seen the light of day on a modern home format? Warner Archive when are we going to see the next releases??

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
Yes we are in a very long dry spell for classic HB releases from Warner Archive. They still have so many good titles unreleased. The last title of anything that I could buy was Peter Pottamus back in October of 2016. Hopefully The Wally Gator Show, the Rest of Huckleberry Hound, Yogi's Space Race, The Tom and Jerry/Grape Ape show, The Banana Splits Hour, The Cattanooga Cats, Quick Draw McGraw and The New Adventures of Gulliver will be released soon. Some have been rumoured in the past.

ClassicTVMan1981X

Screenwriter
Real Name
Benjamin
Yes, WAC is planning to release THE NEW FRED AND BARNEY SHOW this year.

I do hope they will release in the future most of what you mention above, as well as...
THESE ARE THE DAYS (1974-1975)
C.B. BEARS (1977-1978; the whole 1-hour series, also including HEYYY, IT'S THE KING!, SHAKE, RATTLE & ROLL and UNDERCOVER ELEPHANT)
SKATEBIRDS (1977-1978; the whole 1-hour series also including MYSTERY ISLAND and the edited CLUE CLUB reruns retitled as WOOFER & WHIMPER: DOG DETECTIVES)
FANGFACE (1978-1979)
JANA OF THE JUNGLE (1978-1979)
MIGHTY MAN AND YUKK! (1978-1979)
RICKETY ROCKET (1978-1979)
THE NEW SHMOO (1979-1980)
THE PLASTIC MAN/BABY PLAS SUPER COMEDY SHOW (1980-1981)
TROLLKINS (1981-1982)
THE GARY COLEMAN SHOW (1982-1983)
THE GREATEST ADVENTURE series (the other eight stories) (1985-1992)
PAW PAWS (1985-1987)
FANTASTIC MAX (1988-1990)

~Ben

Last edited:

seanrt

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Sean
On iTunes is: YOGI'S TREASURE HUNT, WALLY GATOR, THE GALAXY GOOF-UPS and SNAGGLEPUSS.
Also the Great Grape episodes. I’ve also noticed on iTunes they offer various mix based by character similar to the budget dvd releases. In a few of the Tom & Jerry ones they’ve thrown in a few of the HB 70s shorts. A few of the titles on iTunes are also HD which is nice.

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
I want their 1960's content that hasn't been released yet. But sadly Warner has consistently been disappointing in this area for many years now.

I have no hope for something like the rest of The Huckleberry Hound Show. Warner has failed in this area completely. Warner clearly has no desire to pursue this area or something positive would be happening here and there.

seanrt

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Sean
All titles that are available on both digital media and physical, I make sure to by both versions. I admit I enjoy the digital a little more due to the quick and easy way to switch up series. Some of the titles by the first disc can get repetitive and using digital I can make my own sweet cartoon blocks with little effort.
There are times where I just pop in a disc and love to let it play, but I’d say my physical copies are more my insurance policy.

Regulus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
William Hughes
All titles that are available on both digital media and physical, I make sure to by both versions. I admit I enjoy the digital a little more due to the quick and easy way to switch up series. Some of the titles by the first disc can get repetitive and using digital I can make my own sweet cartoon blocks with little effort.
There are times where I just pop in a disc and love to let it play, but I’d say my physical copies are more my insurance policy.

SECONDED!

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
I only want complete shows as they originally aired since half of the fun of revisiting these old shows we grew up with is the nostalgia which isn't there if the show is changed or broken up. Case in point one of my favorite shows growing up was Tom and Jerry/Grape Ape show in 3rd and 4th grade. The alternating of the two cartoons made it perfect. I would never buy Grape Ape or the 70's Tom and Jerry alone. I would only buy them as the complete one hour show as aired. This is why digital and the Boomerang streaming channel doesn't work for me. I don't want all the magilla gorilla cartoons separate I want them as the complete show as aired with a Richochet Rabbit and Punkin Puss and Mush Mouse cartoon. I will probably be cancelling boomerang streaming soon if they don't listen to the surveys they keep sending out. When its digital and streaming the access is easier so they should be able to offer both as I suggested in the survey. Even on the DVD's you can choose individual cartoons if you don't want to watch the complete show.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks