What's new

Next Hanna-Barbera set? (5 Viewers)

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
Are "Rights Issues" holding up a release of The Adventures of Gulliver? As popular was this show when it ran I'm surprised to see it hasn't been released.
I haven't heard of any rights issues. I'm surprised it hasn't been released yet too. Could be coming this year if they finally get around to some more 60's and 70's shows.

Real Name
Mick Hyperion
Speaking of The Funky Phantom, I got the DVD set for Christmas and recently watched it for the first time. Three or four of the episodes had periods when the background music overpowered the dialog, making it hard to tell what the characters were saying. During one episode, "Pigskin Predicament", it got so bad, I skipped to the next episode. Has anyone else noticed this? I have 20 or so Hanna-Barbera/Filmation series on DVD, and I've never come across such a problem.
Yes, I've noticed this on The Funky Phantom set, too. I've had mine for several years now, so it's not a problem with only the recently produced discs. I just assumed it was something built into the show itself when it was originally slapped together.

Regulus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
William Hughes
If you asked the WAC boys on Facebook, and they actually said of this: "This series is not cleared for release at the present time," then you've got your answer!

That said, I still hope this will be released soon!

~Ben
Talk about being blunt!

Mark Y

Screenwriter
If you asked the WAC boys on Facebook, and they actually said of this: "This series is not cleared for release at the present time," then you've got your answer!

That said, I still hope this will be released soon!

~Ben

Thanks, I hadn't seen this. That's too bad. At least one episode is on one of those Saturday morning sampler sets. It's the first episode and for some reason it has two versions of the show opening back to back at the beginning.

By the way, when this ran as part of the syndicated Banana Splits series, the episodes included next week previews. What are the odds (in the event this series is ever released) that they will be there?

JayHink

Second Unit
Real Name
Jason
Quick info report for anyone interested:

I purchased The Biskitts: Complete Series and The Snorks: Season 3 & 4 and both sets arrived last week as MOD "burned" discs. I expected (or thought highly probable) the discs would be pressed since I ordered directly from Warner Archive/WB Shop.

My set of The Snorks: Season 2, which I ordered a couple years back, arrived on a single pressed disc. The Season 4-5 set is a 5-disc set, so maybe that has something to do with it in this case.

One thing I've learned is it seems there's no telling if you're going to get MOD or pressed discs. There's been a couple occasions where I ordered WA sets from Amazon expecting MOD burns & received pressed discs instead.

Real Name
Nick M.
Quick info report for anyone interested:

I purchased The Biskitts: Complete Series and The Snorks: Season 3 & 4 and both sets arrived last week as MOD "burned" discs. I expected (or thought highly probable) the discs would be pressed since I ordered directly from Warner Archive/WB Shop.

One thing I've learned is it seems there's no telling if you're going to get MOD or pressed discs. There's been a couple occasions where I ordered WA sets from Amazon expecting MOD burns & received pressed discs instead.

Agreed! I have purchased most Hanna-Barbera sets from the WB Shop in hopes of getting pressed discs. It works at least 90% of the time, thus justifying the cost.

That being said, I ordered both seasons of David Janssen's detective series "Harry O" from Amazon years after they were issued and I received them on pressed discs. There's probably no way to know for sure.

For what it's worth, I'm really hoping for the remnants of the H-B '60s cartoons (particularly the Wally Gator "show" and the Abbott & Costello cartoons) before any more recent series are issued. The diamond anniversary was more like a cubic zirconia anniversary.

Mark Y

Screenwriter
Agreed! I have purchased most Hanna-Barbera sets from the WB Shop in hopes of getting pressed discs. It works at least 90% of the time, thus justifying the cost.

That being said, I ordered both seasons of David Janssen's detective series "Harry O" from Amazon years after they were issued and I received them on pressed discs. There's probably no way to know for sure.

For what it's worth, I'm really hoping for the remnants of the H-B '60s cartoons (particularly the Wally Gator "show" and the Abbott & Costello cartoons) before any more recent series are issued. The diamond anniversary was more like a cubic zirconia anniversary.

I know the 1980s shows have their fans, who are now all growed up, but after decades of waiting for vintage Hanna-Barbera (dating back to before some of these later shows were even made), it frustrates me that so much of their classic era is unreleased or tied up for various reasons, be it issues with elements, missing material, music rights, etc. And I understand that it's easier to knock out a show that's a half hour one-season jobber with everything all in one piece, than to reconstruct (or attempt to reconstruct) a show that's been sliced and diced every which way to the point where no one even knows how it's supposed to all fit together. But I am glad a lot of the stuff has been coming out.

I have been seeing a lot of these "minus the extras" reissues in brick and mortar stores reasonably priced. I also have been reading a lot of comments on Facebook from people who are excited to have picked up, for instance, the Yogi Bear show. Did they not know it was available years ago with more show content missing from the new version? A set like "Huckleberry Hound" (which is now labeled as "Season 1 Volume 1" even though it's the sole release) has got to be confusing to the uninitiated, with the cartoons from the first four shows repeated later in the set. Did they leave it that way?

Blimpoy06

Screenwriter
Real Name
Darin
I have been seeing a lot of these "minus the extras" reissues in brick and mortar stores reasonably priced. I also have been reading a lot of comments on Facebook from people who are excited to have picked up, for instance, the Yogi Bear show. Did they not know it was available years ago with more show content missing from the new version?
I think you have just summed up why studios re-release product. New product gets more attention and has a greater potential for sales than keeping a ten year old title in print. It's odd for the serious collector to rationalize, but you can't argue with results. Disney are masters at making titles go away only to repackage them later.

Regulus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
William Hughes
I have all of the Hanna-Barbers shows I want ( I have to admit a dozen of them are on "homemade DVDs"). :angry: The four series I'd like to get (Hot Wheels, Skyhawks, Run Joe Run and Westwind) are done by other producers (I want them so much I've designated them to be "bucket list" shows). :cheers:

Last edited:

Mark Y

Screenwriter
I'd still love to see a full collection of the L&H and A&C Cartoon series from way back when issued onto DVD soon.

So would I! Warner owns the Abbott & Costello cartoons, but the Laurel & Hardy cartoons are owned by the Larry Harmon estate. I believe a non-comprehensive set of them was released in Brazil or someplace. As I recall, some but not all had optional English audio. One A&C cartoon is on that crazy "Best Of Warner Bros." Hanna-Barbera DVD sampler.

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
So would I! Warner owns the Abbott & Costello cartoons, but the Laurel & Hardy cartoons are owned by the Larry Harmon estate. I believe a non-comprehensive set of them was released in Brazil or someplace. As I recall, some but not all had optional English audio. One A&C cartoon is on that crazy "Best Of Warner Bros." Hanna-Barbera DVD sampler.
France

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
Twitter user JEFFBM reporting from Wondercon that 2 Stupid Dogs, Mighty Orbots and New Fred and Barney Show are coming soon.
Wow I hope that's not it. Hugely disappointing. Nothing for me after an entire 2017 and 1st quarter 2018 with nothing. If new Fed and Barney is the Flinstones comedy hour/show from 1972 then I'm in but if its the 80's Fred and BArney then I'm out.

ClassicTVMan1981X

Screenwriter
Real Name
Benjamin
Wow I hope that's not it. Hugely disappointing. Nothing for me after an entire 2017 and 1st quarter 2018 with nothing. If new Fed and Barney is the Flinstones comedy hour/show from 1972 then I'm in but if its the 80's Fred and BArney then I'm out.

The New and Fred Barney Show
originally aired on NBC from February 3 to April 7, 1979 solo, and then from September 22 to December 1, 1979 as part of Fred & Barney Meet The Thing, then expanded from December 8, 1979 to November 15, 1980 as Fred & Barney Meet The Shmoo. It is actually one of those titles I'd long been hoping for, and one of a bevy of those H-B cartoons I'd watched on USA Network's Cartoon Express as a young boy!

On CBS's The Flintstone Comedy Hour/Show (from 1972-73), there was a series of similarly-named segments focusing, of course, primarily on Fred and Barney.

Should The New Fred and Barney Show sell well enough, I am hoping that both the 1972 and 1980 versions of The Flintstone Comedy Show will be released in the future!

The intro really amazes me...
Barney: "Hey Fred, it's the same old gang, you know..."
Fred: "Yeah, Barn... in a top new kind of show."
Then when we see the title being finished with the words "The New" being added next to "Fred & Barney"...
Barney: "Fred, look! We're all new!"
Fred: "You said it, Barn. Yabba-dabba-doo!"

~Ben

Last edited:

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
The New and Fred Barney Show originally aired on NBC from February 3 to April 7, 1979 solo, and then from September 22 to December 1, 1979 as part of Fred & Barney Meet The Thing, then expanded from December 8, 1979 to November 15, 1980 as Fred & Barney Meet The Shmoo. It is actually one of those titles I'd long been hoping for, and one of a bevy of those H-B cartoons I'd watched on USA Network's Cartoon Express as a young boy!

On CBS's The Flintstone Comedy Hour/Show (from 1972-73), there was a series of similarly-named segments focusing, of course, primarily on Fred and Barney.

Should The New Fred and Barney Show sell well enough, I am hoping that both the 1972 and 1980 versions of The Flintstone Comedy Show will be released in the future!

~Ben
I saw all of them when they originally aired although I was only 6-7 when the Flintstones comedy hour was on. The Flintstone Comedy Hour was fairly close to the original Flintstone as was the pebbles and bam bam show but later versions always bugged as to how inferior they were to the original just like the 80's Jetsons. Do we have a positive confirmation on which show they are releasing?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks