What's new

Next Hanna-Barbera set? (5 Viewers)

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
I was trying to think of what we have gotten in 2014 so far from Warner Archive in terms of animation. This is what I have:

Jetsons (concluding 1980s episodes)
Jonny Quest (all 1980s episodes)
Challenge of the Gobots, Vol. 1 (1980s HB)
Shirt Tales - Complete Series (1980s HB)
Gilligan's Planet (1982 Filmation)
Loopy de Loop (1960s Theatrical HB)

So far this year's offerings have been very 1980s heavy, with no 1960s or 1970s television at all. If rumors from an earlier page are correct, we still might see Quick Draw McGraw and Peter Potomus this year. Interestingly, at my house, one of the most popular cartoon offerings has proved to be Yogi's Gang. Despite the dated nature of some of the episodes, the interaction of the funny animals works well, and that lifts up Yogi's Space Race and Yogi's Treasure Hunt to a fairly high position on my desired titles list.

Real Name
Chris
Jonny Quest 1980's Vol 1, huh?
Again with the volumes. Don't they realize that cutting them in half like that will give them less money?
Only the big fans are gonna collect something like that. Especially old-school stuff like Jonny Quest.
I like that show, but I'm not gonna spend money on the first part and then wait for the 2nd half. It's not gonna happen.
The hing is. We're not in the 1900s anymore. Now there's way too much content out there for releases like that.
And people are used to pay $8/mo for Netflix or buy their stuff on iTunes. If you're gonna release DVDs, then at least release the whole thing.
Besides, the fact that they're not releasing these collections on blu-ray blows my mind.
I'm just saying. If they have to do budget cuts, it's their own fault for using tactics that word 15 years ago.

ClassicTVMan1981X

Screenwriter
Real Name
Benjamin
Chris Hvide said:
Jonny Quest 1980's Vol 1, huh?
Again with the volumes. Don't they realize that cutting them in half like that will give them less money?
Only the big fans are gonna collect something like that. Especially old-school stuff like Jonny Quest.
I like that show, but I'm not gonna spend money on the first part and then wait for the 2nd half. It's not gonna happen.
The hing is. We're not in the 1900s anymore. Now there's way too much content out there for releases like that.
And people are used to pay $8/mo for Netflix or buy their stuff on iTunes. If you're gonna release DVDs, then at least release the whole thing.
Besides, the fact that they're not releasing these collections on blu-ray blows my mind.
I'm just saying. If they have to do budget cuts, it's their own fault for using tactics that word 15 years ago.
To stray a bit in regards to this heart-wrenching news, if Turner is expected to be sold off to the highest bidder, then I guess all the pre-1948 Warner Bros. cartoons and other features will go to that highest bidder as well unless WB finds a way to keep that part of Turner's assets... as the Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies shorts have a place in the hearts and minds of people like us.

~Ben

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
ClassicTVMan1981X said:
To stray a bit in regards to this heart-wrenching news, if Turner is expected to be sold off to the highest bidder, then I guess all the pre-1948 Warner Bros. cartoons and other features will go to that highest bidder as well unless WB finds a way to keep that part of Turner's assets... as the Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies shorts have a place in the hearts and minds of people like us.

~Ben
I can't imagine that they would divide the film and television library. I can't access Variety, what exactly does it say?

Towergrove

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sarah
ClassicTVMan1981X said:
To stray a bit in regards to this heart-wrenching news, if Turner is expected to be sold off to the highest bidder, then I guess all the pre-1948 Warner Bros. cartoons and other features will go to that highest bidder as well unless WB finds a way to keep that part of Turner's assets... as the Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies shorts have a place in the hearts and minds of people like us. ~Ben
I dont see where turner is getting sold off but they will have budget cuts for sure.

Towergrove

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sarah
JoeDoakes said:
I can't imagine that they wouldivide the film and television library. I can't access Variety, what exactly does it say?
It says there will be budget and staff cuts especially in home entertainment and promotions. It doesnt say anything about being sold off. Thats not what the ceo said on the speech at all. The Warner Archive is one of the bright spots and has a small staff so I dont think the will be touched but we shall see.

Greg Chenoweth

Supporting Actor
They went through the same kind of staff cuts worldwide about five years ago. As WB buys new properties and sheds other ones, it's a part of doing business. For example, when they acquired Turner Entertainment, they eliminated a lot of duplicate staff between the two companies because you only need so many accountants, product technicians, etc. This is normal. There are has been talk that Time/Life and Warners will part company soon and the reduction in staff will help further that cause and make their portfolio more attractive to stockholders and the stock market. This is the only splitting of the company that I am aware of.

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
We are now near the end of September as such it is very puzzling that there is not much activity on HB sets with Christmas coming up in the next few months. 2015 will represent 50 years since color tv became mainstream as such it would be nice to see more of the 1960s and 1970s cartoon released to dvd!

Towergrove

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sarah
younger1968 said:
We are now near the end of September as such it is very puzzling that there is not much activity on HB sets with Christmas coming up in the next few months. 2015 will represent 50 years since color tv became mainstream as such it would be nice to see more of the 1960s and 1970s cartoon released to dvd!
While I would like more releases I am glad they did Loopy De Loop and Shirt Tales the past few weeks. I would hope we would see more soon before the holiday.

derosa

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Grant
I wish I had the foresight to record shows back in the late 70s and early 80s,we wouldn't be stuck in this situation where certain shows have gone MIA forlong periods of time, and ownership rights becomes an issue!

Greg Chenoweth

Supporting Actor
derosa said:
I wish I had the foresight to record shows back in the late 70s and early 80s,we wouldn't be stuck in this situation where certain shows have gone MIA forlong periods of time, and ownership rights becomes an issue!
I recorded audio cassettes of shows in the early 1970's. I still have some of those recordings. I like DVD/Bluray better because there are no commercials to skip over.

Real Name
Chris
Moderator's Note:

Post removed for containing link to site with illegal downloads. This is not allowed under the HTF Rules.
5. Respect for copyrights.

Home Theater Forum has a strict policy of respecting the rights of copyright holders. We do not allow promotion of bootleg material or discussion on how to obtain it, and we immediately delete all links to sites that deal in bootleg material. If you have any doubt whether a source is legitimate, please check with a moderator before posting any links. We also do not allow discussion of (a) how to make unauthorized copies of video or audio materials, (b) how to defeat any form of copy protection (including, for example, how to make "personal" copies of commercially produced DVDs), and/or © how to obtain equipment that can only be used for such purposes. In one form or another, this rule goes back to the very origins of HTF. We are serious about it. Please do not try to debate copyright law with us. We're not interested in discussing what the law should be. Public discussion about copyright law is allowed as long as it doesn't violate any portion of this or any other site rule. We believe it is in the best interest of HTF to enforce this policy strictly, and members test it at their peril.
Mike Frezon

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
I have watched all the episodes of Gilligan's Planet as it has been over 30 years since I scene any of the episodes. My favorite scene is when they castaways build a boat to go to an island on the planet and then get shipwrecked. The comment was classic "We get shipwrecked then we build space ship and then get space wreck then we build a boat as such we get shipwrecked on an island again"

JMFabianoRPL

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
James Fabiano
younger1968 said:
I found this comment on Fantastic 4 as such I wanted to clarify if the statement is true on the ownership of the series: [color=rgb(37,37,37);background-color:rgb(255,255,255);]Through a series of transactions, [/color]Disney[color=rgb(37,37,37);background-color:rgb(255,255,255);] [/color]currently holds the rights to the majority of Marvel's 1960s-1990s animated output. However, the 1967-1968 Fantastic Four[color=rgb(37,37,37);background-color:rgb(255,255,255);] [/color]was produced by Hanna-Barbera, whose library is now owned by Time Warner[color=rgb(37,37,37);background-color:rgb(255,255,255);], making the series one of only a handful of Marvel-related TV projects not owned by Disney (which has since acquired Marvel outright). Time Warner is also the owner of Marvel's biggest competitor,[/color]DC Comics[color=rgb(37,37,37);background-color:rgb(255,255,255);].[/color]
A shame, as at the rate we've gone, and are going with the upcoming Fantastic FAKES reboot, the H-B version is still the BEST version of the F4 we've ever had. In any other media!!! ('94 series is a close one, but tainted by that first season)

JMFabianoRPL

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
James Fabiano
younger1968 said:
I have watched all the episodes of Gilligan's Planet as it has been over 30 years since I scene any of the episodes. My favorite scene is when they castaways build a boat to go to an island on the planet and then get shipwrecked. The comment was classic "We get shipwrecked then we build space ship and then get space wreck then we build a boat as such we get shipwrecked on an island again"
I am contractually obliged to mention that the Professor could build a rocket, but NOT a raft nor fix the damage to a boat!

Are there any MGM/UA related logos on the DVD version?

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
Hi all,

I have been able to watched many of the New Adventures of Gilligan's episode as such it has been a treat. The only downfall is many of the episodes related back to similar to main show - here are some examples

1. Wrong Way Robot has similar premise to Gilligan's Living Doll

2. Opening Night is similar to the Producer

3. Father of his Island is similar to President Gilligan

4. Looney Moon is similar to Big Gold Strike

5. Offlimits is similar Home Sweet Hut

6. Super Gilligan is similar to Pass the Vegetables

7. Live and Let Live is similar to New Neighbor Sam

I welcome your thoughts and/or suggestions!

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
We've been watching a lot of 1960s HB at my house lately. Huckleberry Hound is a great show. The animation is affected by the early stage of HB development at which the cartoons were made and probably by a lingering influence from UPA minimalism, but it's a great show. It's nice to have both Huck and Yogi in the same show, and overall the cartoons are of a very high quality. Magilla Gorilla is also quite good, although like Huck the DVDs suffer from the lack of a them song. We've been liking both Huck and Magilla better than the Yogi Bear show, which surprises me. Another show we have watched a lot of lately is Penelope Pitstop. I was not aware of it at all growing up, but it's a real winner. Despite the repetitive format of the show, the writing is excellent, and Paul Lynde is an awesome villain. He was not credited on the show, and it makes me wonder how they got him to do it. Finally, having set up my region free DVD player at last, we have been watching The Banana Splits region 2 set. I wish the video quality was better, but it's a great show, and I get a kick every time the Tra-La-La song starts to play. I'm still hoping that the rumors from earlier in the year were correct, and we'll see Quick Draw and Peter Potomus soon.

Greg Chenoweth

Supporting Actor
I watched 30 of the Loopy de Loop cartoons over the weekend. I have 18 shorts left to watch and I am enjoying this set very much. With Michael Maltese and Warren Foster as the primary writers and with voice actors Daws Butler, Don Messick, Hal Smith and Jean VanderPyl, how could you go wrong? I almost forgot - Arnold Stang and Cindy Bennett did voice work as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks