What's new

Next Hanna-Barbera set? (1 Viewer)

Nebiroth

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Richard Gregory
It's not an insidious plot. It's a preferred business model that is perfectly reasonable from the stuios point of view that happens to be very bad news indeed from the viewpoint of the collector.

They exist to maximise their proft and nothing else. The streaming model does that, along with being satisfactory for many consumers. It's just appalling for collectors, for the reaosns I gave. I'm not under any illusion that we form anything other than a minority and have no expectation that business models should be tailored to our particular needs.

ClassicTVMan1981X

Screenwriter
Real Name
Benjamin
Professor Echo said:
Matthew, until you've worked for the major film studios as long as I have and had first hand experience with their operations in both their creative and legal departments, I don't think you should be so quick to dismiss any opinion that runs contrary to your assumptions. But if it makes you happy to defend them, well, that's why they call it a forum.In any case, I've responded enough on this issue and am moving on. I hope everyone gets the animation they most want in whatever format they most want.
So am I. As a Christian, God would rather see me hope for the best than worry about what is or isn't coming out.

~Ben

MattPriceTime

Second Unit
Real Name
Matthew Price
Different vantage points are going to give different opinion on how to interpret and forecast things. Which is why to Echo i posted before that i appreciated your long post to explain how you got to your conclusions even if i respectfully disagree with your assumptions. While at the same time if the shoes were reversed you might be saying the same thing based on your own experiences.

However the actual issue i have here that maybe i am more stubborn on, is the seemingly accepted cultures HTF members seem to lay upon being a norm to both the way young people act and the way businesses act. I've made it no secret when these two subjects come up i am often the outlier to what most people on this site would say. Where what I see on these subjects rarely ever match up with what i see irl.

But i do agree this conversation has gone on long enough in this thread, where let's be honest it's been a jumping pond where some of us (myself included) have jumped in and spun it all off in a lot of directions. I mean seriously we went from discussing soakies to conspiracies to serious talk to positive preaching in under a few hours. That should be a record some place.

I'm all in favor of just letting everything that's been said here stand and from here on return this thread to talking about cartoons and leave any and all other baggage for other debating threads. So i hope we can all put on our much happier hats and let's predict what we think WA's next HB release is going to be.

Based on the info we spread out across our debates, i'd still say a hit off one of the started 80s series stand the most logical choice, but there could be a swerve.

I do hope however that the first animation block was non-HB that the rest of the year might be for HB animation.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
To Maximize their profit they must collect from all avenues possible. Collectors are the minority but also spend 10 times as much per person as the renter or streamer. A lot of renter or streamers seek ways to get as much as possible for free studios are well aware of this going back to their court battles over music downloading and streaming. If anything they have more control of their material with CD's and DVD's. Streaming does not protect their movies or tv shows it can still be downloaded. The collector will normally always be willing to pay sometimes even high prices so there is too much money to be made for them to ignore the collector. So streaming will remain an avenue that appeals to renters and most collectors will not goes this route and the studios will not ignore ways to get their money. Trying to maintain control of their holdings goes back to before the days of DVD and has never been a reality. Pay per view movies on cable tv was to do exactly what you suggested streaming will do for studios. So VHS and Laserdisc should have been the end of Home Media. But the collectors money was still there so we got DVD and then Blu-Ray. When they eventually stop making discs then downloads or something else will replace them for collectors with money to spend. That is how studios maximize their profits. Its never a good business model to ignore potential sales especially if they are significant enough.
Nebiroth said:
It's not an insidious plot. It's a preferred business model that is perfectly reasonable from the stuios point of view that happens to be very bad news indeed from the viewpoint of the collector.

They exist to maximise their proft and nothing else. The streaming model does that, along with being satisfactory for many consumers. It's just appalling for collectors, for the reaosns I gave. I'm not under any illusion that we form anything other than a minority and have no expectation that business models should be tailored to our particular needs.

Ken_Martinez

BANNED
Real Name
Ken
Or if they even explicitly let us know what was in the stinkin' pipeline. Why should we even have to guess and predict what releases are imminent? Either a given show is coming soon (as in the next couple of weeks or months) or it isn't.

Sorry Matt and Randy, "we have several shows in the works" doesn't cut it. That could literally mean ANYTHING.

Seriously, would it kill them to say "Cartoon [X] is tentatively planned for May" or "Hanna-Barbera show [Y] will more than likely be released in June, barring anything unforseen"? Guys like us would complain a whole lot less if they just said that.

Greg Chenoweth

Supporting Actor
Kerry Cisneros posted on Facebook a list of everything H-B that has been released by Warner Archive:

YOGI’S FIRST CHRISTMAS
PIRATES OF DARK WATER COL. (4 DVD5)
JOSIE AND THE PUSSYCATS IN OUTER SPACE (4 DISC)
ADDAMS FAMILY: S1 (ANIMATED) (4 DISC)
FUNKY PHANTOM, THE (4 DISC)
GOOBER AND THE GHOST CHASERS (4 DISC)
YOGI'S GREAT ESCAPE
YOGI BEAR AND THE MAGICAL FLIGHT OF THE SPRUCE GOOSE
YOGI AND THE INVASION OF THE SPACE BEARS
THE DUKES (ANIMATED) (4 DISC)
SWAT KATS: THE RADICAL SQUADRON (5 DISC)
SPEED BUGGY (4 DISC)
WHEELIE AND THE CHOPPER BUNCH (3 DISC)
JABBERJAW (4 DISC)
SPACE KIDETTES/YOUNG SAMSON (4 DISC)
VALLEY OF THE DINOSAURS (2 DISC)
FRANKENSTEIN JR. & THE IMPOSSIBLES
CHALLENGE OF THE GOBOTS: THE ORIGINAL MINISERIES [REMASTERED]
THE HERCULOIDS: THE COMPLETE SERIES (2 DISC)
THE JETSONS MEET THE FLINTSTONES
MOBY DICK AND THE MIGHTY MIGHTOR: COMPLETE SERIES (2 DISC)
TOP CAT AND THE BEVERLY HILLS CATS
GOOD, THE BAD, AND THE HUCKLEBERRY HOUND, THE
JONNY'S GOLDEN QUEST
JONNY QUEST VS. THE CYBER INSECTS
ROCKIN' WITH JUDY JETSON
FLINTSTONE CHRISTMAS COLLECTION, A
JETSONS S2 PART 2 (3 DISC)
PAC-MAN: THE COMPLETE FIRST SEASON (2 DISC)
JONNY QUEST THE REAL ADVENTURES SEASON ONE VOLUME TWO (2 DISC)
SHAZZAN TV Series (2 DISC)
INCH HIGH PRIVATE EYE (2 DISC)
SEALAB 2020 – THE COMPLETE SERIES
AMAZING CHAN & THE CHAN CLAN, THE [MOD 2]
HEIDI'S SONG
HANNA-BARBERA CHRISTMAS CLASSICS COLLECTION
HALLOWEEN TREE, THE
SKY COMMANDERS: THE COMPLETE ANIMATED SERIES
PAC-MAN: SEASON TWO
SNORKS: THE COMPLETE FIRST SEASON [MOD 2]
HOLLYROCK-A-BYE BABY
FLINTSTONES PRIME TIME SPECIALS COLLECTION, THE : VOL1
FLINTSTONES PRIME TIME SPECIALS COLLECTION, THE : VOL2
I YABBA-DABBA-DOO
BUTCH CASSIDY AND THE SUNDANCE KIDS
ED GRIMLEY: THE COMPLETE SERIES
YOGI'S GANG [MOD 2]
HAIR BEAR BUNCH: COMP. SERIES [MOD2]
ROMAN HOLIDAYS COMPLETE SERIES, THE
CAPTAIN CAVEMAN/ TEEN ANGELS [MOD2]
CASPER'S HALLOWEEN SPECIAL/ THANKSGIVING THAT WASN'T
SPACE STARS COMP SERIES [MOD 2]
CABBAGE PATCH XMAS/ LITTLE TROLL PRINCE

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
Since 2012 when they started remastering I see 10 season/series sets that were remastered. This list does not include the dozen or so non-HB titles they also released in that time. There are at least 4 more remastered animated sets that were non-HB titles. Not sure why that matters but its an impressive list no matter how you look at it.

Greg Chenoweth

Supporting Actor
It is an impressive list, over 51 titles in 4 years. WHV never had that much output when they were putting out the H-B titles. As far as remastering goes, every single H-B title that I have purchased has pristine video on them: YOGI'S FIRST CHRISTMAS; THE GOOD THE BAD AND HUCKLEBERRY HOUND; TOP CAT AND THE BEVERLY HILLS CATS; JONNY'S GOLDEN QUEST; JONNY QUEST AND THE CYBER INSECTS; JETSONS SEASON 2 VOLUME 2, etc., etc., etc.

I have also purchased films through Warner Archive and all of them have superb video and audio.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Professor Echo said:
You know what would make me happy in the short term and while we wait for our favorites to be released?If someone could correct the spelling in the title of this thread to BARBERA.
I'm here for you folks...

MattPriceTime

Second Unit
Real Name
Matthew Price
We'll be getting close to a month from last told on fb "soon" in terms of the next HB release (don't feel like digging through the posts to find the exact date) Which assuming it's the same thing the twitter guy told us about was from the 80s that was coming "soon" about a week later, i say we should be expecting that one of these early March weeks.

Also for fun i took a shot over on twitter sorta reminding them about the JQ anniversary and they played along with the idea this year would be prime for a release and could make a perfect candidate for a comic con panel.

Personally at the moment i'm hoping they answer one of the questions on their fb since it might confirm one of the things they told us back last year.

Also i checked my dates, everyone remember the Flintstone Kids release is the 11th and the new scooby feature is the 25th.

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
If we go back to the Saturday morning sets for 1970 then we will see the following have not been released:

[*]Banana Splits (released overseas, but not in region 1)
[*]New Adventures of Gilligan
[*]Tarzan
[/list]

There are other sets that have been surveyed like the following:

[*]Clue Club
[/list]

The following sets are coming out:

1 Batman and Superman (1960s sets)

Nebiroth

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Richard Gregory
Randy Korstick said:
Thats a pretty impressive list considering they only started releasing these titles in 2010.
It's good but a lot less impressively long if you take out the one-off movie-style specials.

I know studios are always reluctant to say what's in the works because a release can get majorly delayed or fall through for any numbe rof reasons, but also agree with the sentiment that it wouldn;t actually kill them to say "we're working on xxx and all being well hope to have it ready by xxxx"

At the moment fans just have to keep doing what is little more than trying to divine the future from chicken bones.

I also wish they'd drop the bad habit of starting things and then letting them sit forever and a day - how long ago did they tempt us with The Centurions - which turned out to be just the intro mini-series leaving the vast bulk of episodes unreleased.

There's also the enormous pain in the ass of keeping some things out of the archive for no other reason than to put tiny bits of them into those damn general release collections that force you to double-dip/buy stuff you don't want just to try and complete something like the Scooby Doo series.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
Its still 31 HB series plus 14 other series releases for a total of 45 series release in 4 years a little over 11 a year. Plus the 20 plus specials and movies. Still impressive and that doesn't include what WHV has released retail. I don't know of any other studio that releases anywhere near that many animated titles for tv animation.

They do constantly say if they are working on a certain title or not on FB they just don't give dates on their titles other than preorders a few weeks in advance. They made it clear from when the archive started that they would not give release dates as there are too many variables involved that can delay the title from clearance issues to locating prints to restoring. The complaints would be 5 times as great if they gave dates in advance that they knew they could not consistantly meet. They will say a title will be out by the end of the year if they know that it is in the works.
People try to hold them to a release date all the time on facebook when all they said was they plan to release something eventually. If they said we hope to release by this date; those same people would be screaming and claiming "They said it "would" be out by this date." So they are doing the best thing by not giving release dates that are just guesses even though it frustrates some.
Nebiroth said:
It's good but a lot less impressively long if you take out the one-off movie-style specials.

I know studios are always reluctant to say what's in the works because a release can get majorly delayed or fall through for any numbe rof reasons, but also agree with the sentiment that it wouldn;t actually kill them to say "we're working on xxx and all being well hope to have it ready by xxxx"

At the moment fans just have to keep doing what is little more than trying to divine the future from chicken bones.

I also wish they'd drop the bad habit of starting things and then letting them sit forever and a day - how long ago did they tempt us with The Centurions - which turned out to be just the intro mini-series leaving the vast bulk of episodes unreleased.

There's also the enormous pain in the ass of keeping some things out of the archive for no other reason than to put tiny bits of them into those damn general release collections that force you to double-dip/buy stuff you don't want just to try and complete something like the Scooby Doo series.

Ken_Martinez

BANNED
Real Name
Ken
They do constantly say if they are working on a certain title or not on FB they just don't give dates on their titles other than preorders a few weeks in advance. T
Unless you can prove with with a specific, recent example, no they don't. These releases are just dumped onto the market unceremoniously.
hey made it clear from when the archive started that they would not give release dates as there are too many variables involved that can delay the title from clearance issues to locating prints to restoring. The complaints would be 5 times as great if they gave dates in advance that they knew they could not consistantly meet. They will say a title will be out by the end of the year if they know that it is in the works.
I call bull on that. Yes, unforseen complications can sometimes cause delays, but that hardly applies in every scenarios. I agree with Neibroth, letting us know EXPLICITLY what's on the docket for the year would make things far less annoying.

Greg Chenoweth

Supporting Actor
Just to add fuel to the fire:

Someone on Facebook asked this question:
[color=rgb(51,51,51);font-size:13px;]Any of these classic Hanna-Barbera cartoons coming to DVD this year?

-The Huckleberry Hound Show, Vol. 2 (1958)
-The Quick Draw McGraw Show (1959)
-The Hanna-Barbera New Cartoon Series/Wally Gator (1962)
-Peter Potamus (1964)
-The Atom Ant/Secret Squirrel Show (1965)
-Yogi's Space Race/Galaxy Goof-Ups (1978)
-Yogi's Treasure Hunt (1985)
-The New Yogi Bear Show (1988)
-Fender Bender 500 (1990)[/color]

WAC's Reply: Some are among upcoming plans, but while we have no further info to impart at the present time, you never know when a surprise announcement will appear. Stay tuned!

Also, someone asked about the ABC Saturday Superstar Movies and if they are going to get released. Here is WAC's reply:
There's always a chance

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks