What's new

Next Hanna-Barbera Box Set (2 Viewers)

Greg Chenoweth

Supporting Actor
"Dastardly and Muttley and Their Flying Machines" is being released the same day that "The Perils of Penelope Pitstop" is coming out. You can read the article over at TVShowsonDVD.com.

I am very, very disappointed that Huck and Yogi are being omitted once again without a hint of when their cartoons will be released on DVD. Somebody at Warner Home Video is not reading the fan mail correctly I think.

ChrisPearson

Second Unit
Thanks, Greg. Here are the links

Dastardly and Muttley

Penelope Pitstop

Reports indicate that Huck and Yogi are on the way. I imagine that, since they are older shows that have been re-edited many times for syndication, more work is involved. I'd rather have them done correctly than at the earliest possible opportunity.

Paul Miller

Supporting Actor
I am shocked that they didn't put a bigger named title with each of them like they did in previous waves.

What happened with Josie & The Pussycats and Huckleberry Hound?

Paul

Shawn_C

Stunt Coordinator
I am a bit disappointed with the upcoming Hanna Barbera release May 2005. I really want the Josie and the Pussycats DVD set.

I also want to see more classic cartoon DVD sets of Huckleberry, Yogi and Quick Draw.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
These 2 sets are no surprise since they were announced as coming soon in the Wacky Races set. While I do want Yogi and Huck I also would rather wait until they are done right. Also Dastardley and Mutley is one of my most wanted Hanna Barbera sets so I'm happy about this one. I'm not sure if I will be getting Penelope Pitstop yet though.

DaveK

Second Unit

Chris you're absolutely right. I know that when you watch theses cartoons, the credits are omitted and/or the music scores ae mixed up (Hokey Wolf theme music on a Snagglepuss cartoon).

We must learn from what happened with the Tom and Jerry DVD.

Daniel`D

Stunt Coordinator
I'll be picking up The Perils of Penelope Pitstop and Josie and the Pussycats when it's released

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
Great posts (as usual at HTF :emoji_thumbsup: )

Too many quotes that I agree with to "paste" here :)

I'll echo for "Yogi" and "Huck" for sure and I would also prefer the wait vs getting "cut" 'toons. I think "Yogi" was mentioned in Dave L's famous "bone" that he threw us all on Jan 1 :)

Andrew Radke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Andrew Radke
I'm definitely getting "Dastardly & Muttley" since I remember loving that show as a kid. I don't recall ever seeing "Penelope Pitstop" so I'll pass on that one. I've yet to pick up "Wacky Races" but plan to eventually.

I'd love to see some Yogi Bear eventually, but I agree with waiting until they can give us the best possible release.

I may be in the minority but I'd still like to see them produce an "Abbott & Costello" collection. I'd be all over that in a heartbeat. I used to have a VHS tape back in the 80's which contained approximately 20 A&C cartoons. It's one of the lesser known HB properties, but the nostalgic in me definitely wants it.

Matt Fisher

Second Unit
I've been loving my Wacky Races set, so I'll probably pick these 2 up over the course of time. WR is a 3-disc 34 episode set covering the complete series. I remember paying I think $32 at BB for this. Both Perils of Penelope and Dastardly's sets only cover 17 episodes, but will also be on 3 discs? Anyone remember if their episodes were longer than Wacky Races cause I thought they were all ~11 minute spots. And if they are the same length, why so many discs? And why the same price?

Greg Chenoweth

Supporting Actor
There was an error with the "Wacky Races" DVD set. Yes, there were 34 cartoons in the series, but there was only 17 episodes. They ran two cartoons per show because two cartoons would equal a thirty minute set (not counting commercials and the CBS segment "In The News"). So, there are really 17 episodes for "Wacky Races" with 34 cartoon races taking place.

17 episodes per season was the Saturday morning standard for a long time. It made the show affordable to the network and they could air each episode three times with one episode airing a fourth time in a season.

For both "Dastardly and Muttley" and "Penelope Pitstop", there will be 17 episodes per box set but there will be either two or three cartoons within each episode set. Does this help?

When I say there was an error on the "Wacky Races" set, this means that the opening and ending credits should not have been at the beginning and end of each cartoon. That was not how it was presented originally on Saturday mornings. This is how a "Wacky Races" episode would air: Opening theme, Races cartoon, Races cartoon, and then ending credits. Somebody goofed in putting the box set together.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
To each his own, but I'm less than thrilled with these latest releases. Geesh, there are so many wonderful titles from HB, but after a strong initial release schedule (Flintstones, Jetsons, Jonny Quest, original Scooby), they are focusing on titles I have no interest in - Wacky Races, Penelope, and Dastardly.

I'd take any one of the many 60's titles from the sci-fi/fantasy section (Space Ghost, Herculoids, Shazzan) or any of the classics mentioned like Yogi or Huckleberry. And I'd love a run of the Abbott & Costello cartoons. Then of course there are some great 70's stuff like the Godzilla series and the often overlooked Harlem Globetrotters (not the "Super" version - which was garbage).

Oh well, I've had a hard time keeping up with all my dvd purchases anyhow, so this will give me a chance to save up for another Flintstones release, and hopefully some better stuff later in the year.

Gary "HB's catalog is really unbelievable" O.

Greg Chenoweth

Supporting Actor
I agree with Gary. If the 1960's "Space Ghost" or some more Super Friends had been mentioned, I would have been more enthusiastic.

I agree with others that they are trying to get the original Huck and Yogi cartoons correct before putting them out on DVD. In the meantime, though, why not wet our appetites with a "Yogi's Gang" box set or something.

Anyway, I like "Dick Dastardly" and "Penelope Pitstop", but they would have been further down my list of immediate DVD releases.

Randy*S

Second Unit
Real Name
Randy
I still have not picked up any of the HB sets at all.
I want all of them but since I watch Boomerang every day it's hard to justify buying the sets when all of them are airing several times daily.
I wish they would stop running shows six months or so prior to releaseing the sets just to whet our appettites.
I'll snap up Yogi, Huck and Quick Draw though!

Shawn_C

Stunt Coordinator
I maybe wrong but I have a strange feeling that the Harlem Globetrotters 1970 complete series will be released on DVD this year.

Tory

-The Snappy Sneezer- -Red Huck-
Real Name
Tory

Referesh my memory, that is the one with the flying ark not the mall one where they are preteens, yes? If so, bring it on!

Greg Chenoweth

Supporting Actor
Yes, Tory, that is the one with the flying ark. I would prefer the original cartoons of Huck, Yogi, Quick Draw, etc. most of all, but "Yogi's Gang" would be a good starter set. There doesn't have to be a lot of fiddling done with editing; it can just be released.

Paul Miller

Supporting Actor
Has there been any news on the next HB wave or is the Yogi Bear/Huckleberry Hound sets the last wave of the year?

Paul

ChrisPearson

Second Unit
No news. This time last year there were two more waves to go, one in October and one in December. Assuming this year will follow the same pattern, and noting that Warners announced a bunch of September releases (such as the Garbo set) last month, I would guess an HB announcement might be made this month. I don't know for certain, mind.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks