Next cities for DirecTV's local?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Rob Dawn, Jan 18, 2002.

1. Rob Dawn

Rob Dawn Stunt Coordinator

Is there anyway to find out what cities are next on DirecTVs list to get local channels?
    Just wondering if Colorado Springs is coming anytime soon so that I can drop my cable and maybe get a DirecTiVo! [​IMG]
    Thanks,
    Rob

2. Dan B

Dan B Screenwriter

I don't recall off the top of my head, but you should be able to find the answer at www.dbsforums.com in the Local, Programming, or General Forums.
    DirecTv wasn't planning on adding any new local markets whatsoever, but they may have made an announcement to the contrary recently...I'll try to find the answer for you and post it if I do.
    -Dan

3. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert
    Three new cities soon with seven more before the end of the year. Here's the release *.
    -Robert

4. Dan B

Dan B Screenwriter

Here's a handy webpage that has DMA stats on it.
    http://www.stratuswave.net/~bryan27/tvdma
    I see that your DMA is #93, so I wouldn't hold your breath for the near future, but they don't go on the DMAs alone so there's a chance. I'm in market #136 and I have heard that, due to the loan guarantees as part of the recent satellite locals bill, plans are already in place to put my locals in DMA #136 up on satellite by 2003. (I can't confirm that, but I was told that by the NRTC)
    -Dan B

5. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

I'm still getting basic cable in addition to Directv because of one holdout. I copped this from their page.

"Satellite Viewing of KOIN-TV

KOIN has long been interested in viewers receiving our programming via satellite. KOIN was carried by the Primestar satellite system as its west coast CBS affiliate for many years. Tens of thousands of viewers throughout the Northwest received KOIN via Primestar until that service was purchased by DirecTV. DirecTV discontinued the Primestar service.

Since April, 2000 KOIN has been available on Echostar's Dish Network satellite system as part of their Local Portland Stations package. You can find KOIN on channel 858 which is received on the Dish 500 Antenna from their 110 degree satellite.

KOIN-TV has been negotiating with DirecTV for many months in an effort to provide you access to KOIN-TV programming through your DirecTV satellite system. Unfortunately, negotiations with DirecTV have taken much longer than anticipated.

Are you a DirecTV viewer who would like to receive KOIN-TV programming, along with the other local Portland stations, on your satellite dish? Call DirecTV Customer Service at (800) 531-5000 and let them know that you are interested in receiving KOIN-TV programming on your DirecTV satellite system as soon as they can make it available.

The main sticking point in these negotiations is that DirecTV only wants to pay forty cents for the locally-produced and copyrighted property of four local television stations. But they then charge you $5.99. We think that is patently unfair to you and to local television stations. If you agree, then call DirecTV at the number above and ask them to either pay a fair price to local stations or provide Portland's free-over-the-air television stations to you at no charge.

If you would like to leave a voice mail message regarding this issue, you may call (503) 464-0888 or click HERE to send us an e-mail.

Thank you for your support and patience."

Yeah, it sounds like a ripoff to me.

Glenn

6. Brian Lawrence

Brian Lawrence Producer

Brian
    Providence, RI [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]