What's new

Next Calgary Meet? (1 Viewer)

Chris M

Second Unit
If anyone is in the North East, near Marlborough Mall, I might be able to fit you in for carpooling. Let me know.
Chris.

McPaul

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul M
hey everyone..... anyone know where I can get the deepest discount on a paradigm setup in town? my receiver (575X) came today and i have nothing to hook up to it!! *L*..... am looking right away.... digmes, b&w's, perhaps some nht or deftech..... am going to listen..... Not bad ..... ordered Feb 14.... got here earlier this week.... just haven't been able to pick it up with the strike.... i've had dvd's take more time to get here...... *L*
------------------
THAT'S just EVIL!!!! and EVIL is WRONG!!!!!

Stacey_V

Stunt Coordinator
Paul...
I was able to get 15% off from Sound of Music on my Paradigm sub. This was 4 years ago, but you should still be able to get this. What Paradigms are you looking at? Monitor series or Reference? I had a listen to some B&W 602's at Smart Home one day. I was quite impressed with their imaging. Good luck in whatever you choose. I'm sure you are anxious to get your Onkyo running.
Stacey
------------------
inspector.gif

McPaul

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul M
quite honestly i expected to have the speakers already and only be waiting for the receiver, instead we've had a transit strike and i haven't been able to get down town to listen to speakers and the receiver came much quicker than i expected. I will probably be going 60's, CC, minimonitors, PW2200 I would imagine. then just upgrade the minis next year for 20's or 40's....I've heard this before and loved the 60's..... will want to hear similar setups just to be sure though.
As far as the receiver goes.... it "looks" good! *L*
------------------

I've found that General Audio is cheaper than Sounds of Music for Paradigm stuff. By far the cheapest place that I know of is Best Buy in Kelowna. Their prices are always considerably cheaper than the Calgary stores...
I may be interested in attending part of the HT meet on the 24th. I, too have quite a large DVD collection (about 330 titles) and may be able to supply some demo material.
I mostly interested in Smart Home System demo, I've never been too impressed with any of their setups, they always have the audio totally screwed up (way too much bass, they sound like a 16 year old's boom car). I haven't been in there recently, so it would be interesting to see if they got any better at setting the audio side up...
Rob
------------------

Dale_S

Stunt Coordinator
Evening all.... just a little follow-up on our plans. Everything is still a go, with 10 confirmed and 2 or 3 more possible attendees. Looks like it's going to be a decent turn-out!
Since I'ld like this to be a somewhat regular event, I've also talked to some other individuals and it looks like I've almost got together a SECOND meet even before we complete this one!
A local HT enthusiast by the name of Billy Traynor has built himself a dedicated home theater and has offered to show it to us. I've tentatively told him that we could arrange this for mid to late April, and he said that should be OK. If anyone has any dates in mind (again a Saturday is preferred), put them up for discussion. I'll also try to arrange another local HT shop visit for the same day.
BTW - although we are all entitled to our opinions, I'ld like to ask that everyone use some discretion and common sense when talking about the vendors who've offered to give us demos. Giving negative information about an experience at a particular dealer makes it harder to convince them to offer demos in the future. If you want to make comments about a particular dealer, do it in the other forums where I feel it's more appropriate. Thanks!
------------------
View My DVD Collection
Dale S. aka Frustrated (with Denon) in Calgary
Calgary and area local HTF meet, March 24th 2001
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/uub/...ML/000205.html

LanceT

Auditioning
Count me in, sounds like it should be pretty fun. May be bringing 1 (possible 2) people with me if thats alright.
Just curious what is the average age of people attending this? I'm guessing that I'm probably one of the younger people coming at 23.
Just curious what kind of setups do people in Calgary have that are coming? My system consists of a Davis DL450 DLP projector, Denon 3300 receiver, Mirage OM-10s, OM-C3, BPS-150i sub, Mpact2 powered HTPC providing scaled DVD at 72Hz. I *may* soon be adding HDTV via *Choice, not quite sure yet. I hope we will be able to see some good HD at Smart Home Systems, last time I was there their sat was down!
lance

Dale_S

Stunt Coordinator
Lance:
I've added you and up to 2 more guests, so that brings us to 14 for the Smart Home demo. That's assuming that Robert Bailey will be joining us for this also.
I will close the list of attendees at this point as it will be quite difficult to host that many people at my condo after the DVD shopping.
The list of attendees for the demo is as follows:
Chris and his wife
Sean Prior
Dean Cooper
Stacey V
Aaron
Paul McGowan
Josh Dial
Adam H
Dale S
Robert Bailey
Lance + 2 guests
For the car pool leaving from my place I currently have Adam H, Sean Prior and myself. This leaves room for 3 (possibly 4) more. It also appears that Stacey is picking up Paul.
I will post a map to my place shortly, and will again ask that EVERYONE confirm their travel plans. Even if you are taking your own vehicle, please let me know. As Josh said, parking is quite limited at DVD Now and also at Smart Home and somewhat at Chianti's.
------------------
View My DVD Collection

Stacey_V

Stunt Coordinator
Dale...
You might as well add Aaron, Paul and myself to the car pool. I will drive to your place, and then car pool from there. Please confirm our "reservation"....
Thanks,
Stacey
------------------
inspector.gif

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
Dale, I just checked with my roomate, Chris, and he said he would like to come for sure. He used to work at DVDnow! so he's a certified HT nut too :)
cheers!
Josh
------------------
People say life is short. It ain't. Life is LONG, especially if you make the wrong decisions. -Chris Rock

McPaul

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul M
carpool sounds great, lets hit the road!!!
Has anyone been to the new Sounds of Music store on 8 and 10th?
Maybe an idea for future meets if this one is too packed....
------------------

Dale_S

Stunt Coordinator
Well, looks like the date is fast approaching - this coming Saturday. As requested, I've enclosed a link to a map of my home address.
http://www.mapquest.com/cgi-bin/share?s1z172qala8dxyxj
My unit is #68, in block 5 of the Regent Gardens condo complex on the NW corner of Richmond Rd. and 45 St. SW. For anyone in the carpool (which leaves for Smart Home at 9:40am), I'ld suggest parking your car on 45th St. Visitor spots are few but if you do park in the visitor spots, bring your license plate and vehicle color/type as we have to phone it in to avoid it being towed.
Confirmed for Adam's van are:
Adam H
Dale S
Sean Prior
Paul McGowan
Aaron
Stacey V
Also expected are:
Chris M & wife
Dean Cooper (from Edmonton)
Josh Dial & Chris
Lance T & 2 friends
Robert Bailey
If anyone has preferred demo material for the late afternoon/evening (CD, DVD or LD), feel free to bring it along. I have 230+ DVDs myself, with a number of the usual demo discs (see my DVDProfiler list linked in my signature).
If anyone has any questions or if there are any cancellations, please let me know as I have a couple of other friends who wouldn't mind attending (I've definitely capped the limit at 15 attendees, especially for the Smart Home demo). See you all on Saturday!
------------------
View My DVD Collection

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
If we plan on screening a movie that night, is there one you guys have in mind? Perhaps something we pick up shopping?
cheers!
Josh
------------------
People say life is short. It ain't. Life is LONG, especially if you make the wrong decisions. -Chris Rock

Dale_S

Stunt Coordinator
I doubt we'll actually screen a complete movie, but it is a possibility. I agree that taking a look at something we pick up is likely, although I suspect we'll look at lots of different media.
Personally I'ld like to enlist you all to help me evaluate my setup. There aren't a lot of things I can do to change it, other than new speakers or a different arrangement of the room. I will have a projector at home for the weekend, an Infocus LP335 DLP. It works quite well, but still has some limitations (namely black level).
I do have one problem I'm trying to resolve... my HTPC desperately needs a rebuild so it might not be online for Saturday. If I can I'll get it done one night this week, but time is kind of short. We'll see...
------------------
View My DVD Collection

McPaul

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul M
Dale you have more DVDs than i can possibly imagine..... so i dont have anything you dont have..... i do want to know how you got your dvd profiler to work for other people to see.....
------------------

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
Like I said before Dale, if we're really in a pinch, we can head over to my house in Brentwood to watch something. Don't matter either way, I'm sure we'll have a great time.
cheers!
Josh
------------------

Dale_S

Stunt Coordinator
Josh:
Thanks again for the offer of your place. When I initially started organizing this I would have taken you up on it right away, but now I want the opinions of some other HT enthusiasts. We may only stay at my place for a short while, but we'll see what the others think. If we feel it's too cramped, we can always head off elsewhere (i.e. your place or a pub).
Thanks again... see you Saturday!
------------------
View My DVD Collection

Dean Cooper

Supporting Actor
Hmm, so is there an available spot in the van still? if there isn't its no big deal, I remember the last time I tried finding a few addresses in Calgary was...interesting :) Time for departure in the van is 9:30 correct? and the time this thing starts in smart homes is?
Dean
------------------

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.