What's new

Next batch of MGM 'Midnight Movies' announced (1 Viewer)

Adam Tyner

Screenwriter
Personally, I prefer one movie per disc. Any suggestions?
I arrange mine by the first title on the spine.

Content is far more important to me than packaging, so I applaud MGM for providing these 16x9-enhanced double features at such a great price.

Nick Graham

Screenwriter
Here's a summarized version of the news that just popped up at www.gorezone.net which answers the question of what transfer they are using. Apparently, MGM now has a transfer that Dan O'Bannon finds acceptable, aside from color saturation. It is, however, not the transfer O'Bannon recently oversaw. The disc will have both 1:78:1 and 1:33:1 aspect ratios. They WILL be using O'Bannon's new sound mix. If we want to see a TRUE SE of this film, with O'Bannon bringing back the original beginning and ending, a bunch of extras, and the transfer O'Bannon oversaw, well, MGM will do such a disc IF the sales for this first release are good.
For all the details, visit www.gorezone.net

Luke T

Grip
The Fog, Return Of The Living Dead, and...
Teen Wolf!! Woo-hoo!!
Did they have to saddle it with the Jason Bateman sequel though? :D Just kidding, I'll take it!

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
Couldn't you list your MGM Midnight Movies Double DVD's, under "Midnight Movies"...just an idea

ALSO, I have never seen any of these titles mentioned.

I'm especially curious about "Last House" and "Motel Hell", can anybody give some insight why they are so good/popular?

DennisTuck

Grip
You know what, I may not know all of the reasoning behind why people initially didn't like MGM at the beginning of when DVD hit the popular market, but having only owned a player for the past 2 and a half years, I've gotta say that MGM pretty much is the best studio out there for me personally (tied with Anchor Bay).
From the general DVD perspective, they've been very good about releasing ALOT of catalog titles that might have sat for years in another studios vaults. They've also been the best studio at providing high value for low dollars. Where else were you gonna get a fully packed edition of Killer Klowns from Outer Space retailing for like $13.99???
For me personally, I can look at my collection and immediately am thankfully to have the special editions of Terminator and Usual Suspects at the top of my favorites list. I've got some guilty pleasures like Running Scared and January Man in there too. And, to top it all off, I'm eagerly awaiting the new releases of the Fog, Escape from New York, & Fargo that I've heard are all due this year.
The only thing I haven't heard that would make me love MGM even more would be a special edition for A Fish Called Wanda that included an anamorphic transfer and a commentary with Cleese, Kline, Curtis, and Palin. But maybe that's just wishful thinking :D
Keep up the great work MGM!!!!
The Creeper :thumb:

Julie K

Screenwriter
ALSO, I have never seen any of these titles mentioned.

I'm especially curious about "Last House" and "Motel Hell", can anybody give some insight why they are so good/popular?

Because it takes all kinds of critters to make Farmer Vincent's fritters!!!

Motel Hell is a masterpiece, a cinematic gem. How can anyone not love a movie about a cannibalistic sausage maker?

Walt Riarson

Supporting Actor
As for Last House on the Left, some consider it trash while others consider it a classic.

I find it to be a highly disturbing and effective horror/exploitation film, whose place in cinema history should not be forgotten.

Gabe D

Senior HTF Member
I am a huge fan of Vampire's Kiss, but I don't know about a long version. What's different??

Will K

Screenwriter
Uh... any word of Last House On the Left being uncut?
YES!!! The print being used for the DVD is supposed to be the most complete print they could find. I'm overjoyed that MGM has the balls to release unrated horror, unlike most other studios...

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Whoever designed the cover for What's The Matter With Helen should be tarred and feathered! Have they forgotten that some people may not have seen the film? As dumb as the 1968 Planet Of The Apes DVD cover.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks