What's new

Next Austin Meet: 13th or 20th? (1 Viewer)

Scott Oliver

Screenwriter
Another add-on is that we also did 2 channel music listening between the Theta and B&K using their DAC's.

The general consensus, although it was not a blind test, was in favor of the Theta. I know air was mentioned, but can't remember any other remarks off hand.

Fredrick,

Thanks for hosting again, the food was great!

Another add-on is that we also did 2 channel music listening between the Theta and B&K using their DAC's.

The general consensus, although it was not a blind test, was in favor of the Theta. I know air was mentioned, but can't remember any other remarks off hand.

Fredrick,

Thanks for hosting again, the food was great!

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
Rajiv,
Colin decided not to hook up the Classe as he said it had bass management issues similar to the Acurus. He didn't have the remote with him so he was unable to reset it to work with the setup we had at the meet.
We made our plane on time (6am!) and actually made it back to our house just after 12 noon eastern time. I'm surprised I'm not more tired than I actually am! Kay's zonked out in the recliner right now though! :)
Thanks again to Frederick for having us and thanks to his wife (who's name I currently cannot remember) for showing Kay around. Hank kept telling me all you guys were a real hospitable bunch but for some reason I didn't believe him! :)
Hopefully I can make it to another meet later this year, but we'll just have to wait and see.
Brian

Frederick_Falk

Second Unit
Thanks for all of the "Thank You"s. However, you are thanking the wrong person. You should be thanking my wife Melinda who allowed us to rearrange her house, bought the food, drinks and ice from the grocery store and 1431 Bar-B-Que along with the plastic cups, plates, spoons and forks as well as to setting everything up. She was also a BIG help in getting the place cleaned up prior to everyone's arrival including mowing the front and back lawn. (I helped too; she didn't have to do everything!) She also even went so far as to take Kay to the mall and showed her the sights of downtown Austin and Lago Vista.
We will be celebrating our 20th anniversary the 17th of this month. I do believe I have a winner here and I appreciate very much all of the hard work she did to make this meet a success.
If you would like to send her a little thank you note, her email address is: [email protected]
I am sure she would appreciate it.
Rajiv: You left your B&K remote at my house.

Hank Frankenberg

Senior HTF Member
Thanks to the Falks for hosting the meet. I appreciate the preparation (including $$) and them giving up a Saturday for us HT nuts. Frederick, I just sent Melinda a thank-you note (BTW, I have hotmail blocked because the majority of the incoming spam originates on the hotmail server).

Nils, the movie "events" are a hoot! Please start a specific thread on the topic with your above post. The Lake Travis event will be wild and probably make the press! Barrummp, barrummp, barrummp, barrummp...

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
HI guys, sorry I missed the event.

Ill be coming to Houston / Austin in Sept / October. Anybody up for another meet? I can bring one of the HiDef JVC VCRs and some tapes to demo. It would be really kewl!

Regards

Gregg

Greg Risley

Second Unit
Much thanks to our gracious host this meet. The food and the company were top notch. I almost feel like posting this thread over in one of the main boards so everyone can see what a great bunch of people are down here in the hill country. The fact that these meets keep happening with such success, is because of people opening up their homes and the people who show up. It's always great to see new faces at the meets, so I encourage anyone in the area to come by next time. The wide and varied amount of knowledge at the meets is great. We have the guys that know music, some movies, some scuba, but no politics:) .
I hope to have a movie night a my house real soon and will let everyone know.
Gregg
We have alot of hi-def ready guys here so I don't think it would be a problem to get something going when you swing through town. What type of hook up does the JVC require?
Greg Risley

Colin Dunn

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Colin Dunn
Gregg -

As soon as your travel plans for Austin firm up, let us know so we can schedule a meet during that time.

Also, if you've done ISF calibration on Sony VPL-W10HT before, please E-mail me privately...

Rajiv Arora

Agent
Hey Colin,

Let me know what you find out about that ISF calibration. I didn't get a chance to talk to you at the meet on Saturday. As a fellow 10HT owner, I wanted to hear what tweaking you'd done.

I just finished up a Smart II calibration using a CC40R filter, and while I am please with the resulting contrast gain, I keep thinking the color balance is a bit "off". Sometimes it looks too green, other times too yellow. Maybe I'm imagining things.

I've heard that very few ISF calibrators are equipped to correctly calibrate LCD projectors like the 10HT, which is why I've not explored that route before.

Since this thread is at its logical conclusion, we can take this offline, if you want to just email back.

-Rajiv

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
HI guys, in LA right now. Yes, I have done the Sony, I had to use a filter to get the grey scale close enough to then work on the grey scale. it went well.

The JVC HD deck hooks up with a component connection. Audio is via optical

Gregg

Hank Frankenberg

Senior HTF Member
Colin and Rajiv: here's the web site of Steve Martin, who ISF'd my Samsung RPTV: Link Removed
Also, here's Bjorn's calibration site: http://www.isfcalibration.com/
The first is in Dallas, the second in San Antonio, so travel costs wouldn't be a problem. Talk to them and see what you think.

mike_decock

Supporting Actor
I had Siegfried from Bjorn's ISF my Toshiba RPTV. He did a great job and I would gladly recommend him.

-Mike...

ChaseHanna

Stunt Coordinator
Thought maybe I could catch some of the Austin guys attention by posting here. Ill be in Austin this weekend and I am looking to audition speakers. Im helping a friend move into his apartment at UT so Ill be there most of the weekend and Monday. Im really interested in Paradigm, but would like to check out PSB as well. Id love to hear Axiom too but since they are internet only I suppose thats going to be pretty hard. I was originally planning on picking up a pair of Studio 40's this weekend if I can find a deal in the Austin area, then adding either a second set or 20's and a CC when I can find them used.

Anyway, can you guys recommend good stores in the area to audition Paradigm, PSB and anything else you can suggest? Thanks

Colin Dunn

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Colin Dunn
ChaseHanna -

I don't know who the various dealers are for various speaker brands in Austin, but I can tell you a few places to visit if you want to audition some quality speakers...

Audio Systems
Audio by Design
High Fidelity
Dyer Electronics
Whetstone Audio

Hit all five of those, and you'll have a busy weekend trying various speakers...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks