What's new

Next Austin Meet: 13th or 20th? (1 Viewer)

Frederick_Falk

Second Unit
Well, because of all of the rain and the lake rising, the 4th of July committe for Lago Vista has decided to postpone all of the activities, including the fireworks, to the 13th. Since I am the Operations Officer for the fireworks show, I have to be on-site no later than 7:30 PM. They also want me to work the rescue boat that afternoon, which I could get out of if I had to. So if we absolutely had to have the meet on the 13th, and I hosted the meet (which I really want to do), then the meet would start at noon and have to be over by 7 PM sharp. That sounds like a lot of time until you consider that we were going to be comparing several pre/pros among other activities and I really would like to not have to cut it short.
So, here are our options (please choose):
1. I host the meet on the 20th of July at my house and we have all day. :D
2. I host on the 13th and we meet from 12 noon to 7 PM. :)
3. Someone else hosts on the 13th. :frowning:
I have listed these in the order of my preference with my vote going for number 1. If the majority wants to meet elsewhere, I will of course be disappointed but will understand. We will just have to have you all out at another meet.
So let the voting begin.

Wheee! I'm sorry about the delay...but the 13th was a conflict for myself. My wife is giving me a birthday party that saturday. But NOW...I hope to attend services and learn more neat stuff! :)

Scott Oliver

Screenwriter
Well guys, I made the move on a new amplifier, couldn't resist 55% off retail price for this brand of amp. Art Audio Concerto MkII - follow link to view:
Link Removed
Never heard it before, but I have never heard a negative thing about Art Audio, have listened to several push pull amps and liked two out of three a lot, and the dealer I bought my speakers from matches Art Audio gear with JMR speakers quite often. In fact at the beginning of this year he did a seminar with the Offrandes and Art Audio Jota paired together, Jota out of my price range however. Also Jota only pushes out 20W vs 40W for the Concerto, which will be more than enough for any home theater application.
I'll keep you up to date, once I get it in.
:)

mike_decock

Supporting Actor
Scott:

Nice amp!!! I'm a recently converted tube-lover myself with a pair of ASL Waves (at that price I couldn't resist giving them a try). I'm saving up for an ASL Tulip after reading a great review of them in Listener Magazine.

Let us know how the Art sounds!

-Mike...

Mark Hayenga

Supporting Actor
These screens are so easy to make! I can't believe I actually found a cheap DIY hobby. This could keep me going for months! Grey paints, pearlescent mixes, spraying glass beads.... there are so many options.

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
Oh well, looks like I'll be about 1 week early! Hank had invited me to come out for the meet and I've already got my plane tickets so I'll be in Austin on the 13th!

Brian

Hank Frankenberg

Senior HTF Member
This is a big disappointment. I'll be leaving for Cozumel and SCUBA diving on the 19th.

I didn't know it, but I see that Brian has already bought his plane tickets for the 13th, so can we stick with the 13th??

I don't see a problem with being out of your house by 7:00. Ending that early might be a good think in the eyes of the guys' significant others.

Jonathan, what's your opinion of a reasonable length of time needed? We could start earlier than noon if necessary.

Frederick_Falk

Second Unit
Well, as most of you know the lake has continued to rise and the rains have not abated and now the park where the Fourth of July festivities were to be held is completely underwater.:frowning: They have also closed the lake to swimming as the flood has now swamped some people's septic tanks! :angry: Yuck!!
The Fourth of July committee has just announced that they have further postponed ALL activities until LABOR DAY. Therefore if we want to, we can still have the meeting on the 13th instead of the 20th. Hank Frankenberg cannot make the 20th and has invited a frined named Brian who has already purchased airline tickets and he would not be able to make it.
Since I no longer have a conflict with that day, I would like to move the date back to the original date of the 13th. I apologize to all and hope that everyone will still be able to make the 13th. We will be able to stay up as late as we want, so anyone with plans that morning or early afternoon are still welcome to come over that evening and join in the festivities.

Scott Oliver

Screenwriter
Sounds good to me.
Does Colin have address info yet, so he can send out an email to all?
Do you need us to bring anything Frederick?
You still planning on cooking?
Oh and I am still on for bringing my Theta, Tara Labs digital cable, and some selected CD's.
Mike,
I had also thought about ASL gear in particular the Explorer DT and the 1006-845. But kept seeing too many varying reports over sound and build quality. I felt that to go with either one of those I would have had to work to get one in here for a demo, and who knows how I could of accomplished that. Although with the price of the Wave-8s one can't lose, but alas not enough power for my speakers. I would love to hear them sometime though.;)

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
This would be great if we could keep in on the 13th. BTW, can someone quickly recap what the agenda is so I don't have to read through the other thread?

Also, is this a guys only thing? Anyone bringing their wives? My wife is coming to Austin with me but was planning on staying at the hotel.

Brian

Frederick_Falk

Second Unit
Brian,

By all means, please bring your wife. This is NOT an "all guys thing". If she is interested in the hobby, she can certainly participate. If not, she can hang with my Wife and daughter. This is open to anyone!

As far as the schedule, those that have pre/pros need to come early to setup. Say around 11ish in the morning. We will eat around noonish and then start the comparisons. We will do this until everyone gets tired and goes home. If others want to do other demos or watch movies, I think we can arrange for that also. However, the main event is to check out the many pre/pros that people will be bringing.

Scott,

Yes, I am planning on cooking. If the rest of you want to bring chips, dips, drinks and stuff to supplement, that would be great. I will send detailed directions to Colin for him to distribute. If anyone needs to contact me before hand, please send me an email.

mike_decock

Supporting Actor
Although with the price of the Wave-8s one can't lose, but alas not enough power for my speakers. I would love to hear them sometime though.
I'd be happy to bring them with me to the meet if there are some tube-friendly speakers to hook them up to. Wouldn't be a back-breaking effort to load them in my car :D.
-Mike...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks