Next Austin HT Meet 3/22 at Sound Mind Audio!"

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Scott Oliver, Feb 18, 2003.

1. Scott Oliver

Scott Oliver Screenwriter

Austin’s Home Theater Forum Spring Meet

Come join your fellow Austin Area HT/ Audio enthusiasts for an afternoon of food, fun, fellowship, drinks, a chance to check out some great Home theater and Stereo gear and to just listen to some good tunes on -

March 22nd , 3 PM

hosted by: Brian Kurtz of
    [​IMG]
    8000 Anderson Square, suites 102 & 103
    Austin, TX 78757
    377-AUDIO
    http://www.soundmindaudio.com/austin_home.html

[​IMG]

There will be $10 collected at the door, and it will go into a collection pot. At the end of the afternoon, a winner will be randomly chosen from all participants to win the collected sum in the form of a gift certificate to Sound Mind Audio (Must still be present at time of drawing to win). With a good size crowd this amount could be considerable and your odds would still be a heck of a lot better than playing a ten dollar scratch-off game. Plus it will be a good way for the group as a whole to say “Thank You” to Brian for hosting.

Note: This event is to be a party/ gathering focused around the enjoyment of audio and video, this not going to be a sales pitch demo session. It will be just like any other meet hosted at someone’s house, just that this house has a lot more toys for us to check out. Of course, Brian will be around to answer any questions you may have.

Keep watching the
    Home Theater Forum’s
    Local Home Theater Meets
    discussion forum for
    more updates.

[​IMG]
    Come check out the new Boulder 1060 Stereo amp for the first time in Texas.
    [​IMG]
    See the awesome EAD DVD Master 8000Pro in action on JM Labs speakers and a Dream Vision Plasma TV.
    [​IMG]
    Sit in on a comparison between digital sound vs. good ol' analog sound
    [​IMG]
    Or just sit back and enjoy some cool tunes with fellow enthusiasts.

*Exact plans for the event are up in the air, but please make a suggestion of anything that you would like to see us do on the forum.
    The majority of the meet will be free-flowing however. There will be a home theater room and a hi-end audio room, so some folks could watch a movie and at the same time folks could be across the store listening to some tunes. Other rooms are present, but it might not be a good idea to have sound going in every single room. Thus, other rooms will be primarily for just conversations and contain the food buffet.
    Here is a map for directions:
    [​IMG]

2. Scott Oliver

I sent a message to Parker Clack to have him close the other thread

3. Hank Frankenberg

Hank Frankenberg Cinematographer

Scott: I have reservations about this. Opening it up to the general public may result in a VERY crowded event with little chance to half-way seriously listen to anything. I think our Austin HT group is large enough (including the newbies that showed up last time) to make for the right size event, and keeping 15 people quiet enough is not too tough. Throw in the beverage-enhanced enthusiasm, and you won't be able to keep a 30+ person crowd reasonably quiet.

What say, you, Austin HT folks?

4. Scott Oliver

That's true I will email him and notify him of this concern. I will also ask him to give his thoughts on his store's max. capacity.

Brian does have a pretty large store that I would say could hold 40 people comfortably. Not all 40 could fit in one room but spread throughout all the differnt rooms it should be feasible

Thus far, I have posted three messages on three other forums.

Audio Asylum Bottlehead Forum
    Audio Asylum General Forum
    Audiogon Speakers Forum

I will stop posting on any more at this time.
    I will keep tabs of these posts to see if they generate anything.

5. Jonathan DA

Jonathan DA Screenwriter

There are a lot of Austin HT people on AVS, I would add that one to the list.

6. Colin Dunn

Colin Dunn Supporting Actor

Add me to the list of attendees before we hit that limit of 15-40 people...

7. Nils Luehrmann

Nils Luehrmann Producer

Besides the Plasma, is this meet just audio oriented? [​IMG]

8. Scott Oliver

Hank said he would like to do a Powerpoint presentation on projector differences in the HT room. I don't know if one can hook a computer up to the Plasma or not. Brian may also have a FP in that theater room as well by then if we get lucky. If neither of those prove true then we will need someone to bring over their FP for Hank to do his presentation with.

Also was corrected by Brian today as to what is is in the HT room

9. Scott Oliver

Hank as to your concern about crowding-

I asked Brian to give a max. attendance limit and he said 30 would be great although you wouldn't be able to fit all that amount into any one room at once. So for any comaprisons and presentations we do there will have to be shifts kind of like we did at Jonathan's last spring for the room acoustics demo.

So if 30 is our max should we do RSVP's based upon a said post in this thread, such as Colin's above?

10. Greg Risley

Greg Risley Second Unit

Howdy Guys

Well the wife is going out of town this weekend so if we want to have a little get together over here Sat. night. We could watch a flix or play some x-box and see where everyone is leaning concerning the next big meet.

Let me know.
    Greg

11. Hank Frankenberg

Scott, if you're keeping the list, please consider this as my RSVP.

12. Dave Elliott

Dave Elliott Stunt Coordinator

Consider this my RSVP. My wife also might be coming, but since she's 5'1" and 100 lbs she won't take up much room so I don't know if she should count against the 30 limit [​IMG]

As for FP, I noticed NEC was one of the brands listed on his website. If he does set up an FP -- I hope its the NEC HT1000. If so, I'll bring my checkbook, just in case [​IMG]

I would love to do a comparison of vinyl, 2ch CD, and SACD/DVD-A. I know there are some Jazz and classical albums that are available in vinyl, CD, and multi-channel SACD.

I can bring anything we need -- food, beverages, etc.

-Dave

13. Hank Frankenberg

Dave, I'd like a blonde, please[​IMG]

Dave, you buy projectors like I buy popcorn! Are there any job openings where you work? Your employer must pay well!

14. Nils Luehrmann

Nils Luehrmann Producer

PSMoFo,

You are thinking of Mike, not Dave. Dave has been quite committed to his LT150, but I suspect he is close to being ready to start a new FP relationship. [​IMG]

15. Rich_Ave

Rich_Ave Stunt Coordinator

Hello,

If you have room for one more newbie, I'd like to attend the Spring Meet on the 22nd. I'd also like to ask if Colin can add me to the Austin group's distribution list ([email protected]). Thanks.

Rich

16. Dave Elliott

Dave Elliott Stunt Coordinator

Nils,

Well, the LT150 was the best digital projector for the money 2-3 yrs ago, I think it ruled AVS for over a year! The fact that it has kept me from wanting to upgrade for 2 yrs is VERY impressive, given my track record. Heck, the Marantz 12S2 is the first projector I've seen that made me say "yeah, ok, thats a *lot* better than mine".

I'm debating whether to stick it out with the LT150 for another year or so, or buy an HT1000 now and wait for the "holy grail" (1080p native for ~$4K) which I suspect is another 3 years away.

So, while I really like my LT150, I'm just not sure *when* over the next 12-18 months to upgrade.

Anyways, I figure I could get $1200 or so for the LT150 and $200 for my DVDo (which is rendered unnecessary by the DCDi scaler in the HT1000). Given that HT1000's are available for

17. Jonathan DA

Jonathan DA Screenwriter

The only problem is that most albums that are available in both digital and analog formats get remastered for each release. In most cases this significantly alters the tonal balance throughout the spectrum because it is up to the mastering engineer to decide on the final sound. No two engineers will select the exact same thing. A few years ago, one of the audio rags, either Audio or Stereo Review, analyzed the frequency spectrum present on CD and LP issues of the same album and found them to be very dissimilar.

If you really want to do a digital vs analog comparison, then take an LP and make an SACD copy of it, match the playback levels and then figure out which is which in a double-blind test. Most likely you'd be able to tell, because the background noise on the SACD recording would be exactly the same every time, but the background noise on the analog system might vary slightly, thus tipping the listener off as to which is which.

P.S. Please consider this my RSVP

18. Scott Oliver

Well speaking of vinyl I am one sick puppy.

I just went LP shopping and I don't even own a turntable. And its not like I bought a few. I came back with 36 total black discs. I raided the Salvation Army by me and also picked up two at Waterloo.

All the Salvation Army finds were classical albums produced by primarily EMI Angel, EMI Seraphim, RCA Red seal? and Deustche Gramophone. I think I did well for a newb, for all seemed to be in great condition except for the dust and hair on them. Total cost $70.

RSVP's so far: Scott O., Colin, Dave + 1/2, Hank, Jonathan, Rich Ave, Jeff Blair, Greg R., Nils (I assume), and maybe Fredrick
    Total = 10 so far

So we got plenty of room to keep promoting.

19. Jonathan DA

Jonathan DA Screenwriter

Scott, you did just what I'm preparing to do soon! Which turntables are you considering? I'm still working on a DIY design, but if I don't go that route my front runners are (in no particular order):

Nottingham Horizon
    Nottingham Space
    VPI Scout
    Clearaudio Champion Level 1 or 2
    Teres 135 or 245
    Music Hall MMF7

20. Scott Oliver

Oh Boy just found out what Shaded Dogs are, which those in the know speak so highly of. I got four shaded, one white dog, one RCA victrola, and a RCA Carmen.

The Shaded Dogs are
    Beethoven Concerto No5; Rubinstein, Krips, Symphony of the Air
    Bolero, Charles Munch, Boston Symphony
    Rubinstein Plays Liszt
    Prokofieff Symphony No7, Malko, Philharmonica Orchestra

The White Dog is Montserrat Caballe sings Songs of Enrique Granados (This one I am really looking forward to for it is some sexy looking French lady from the early 1900's singing backed by an orchestra.)

I also got an RCA Victrola of Puccini's Tosca; Milanov, Bjoerling, Warren, Leinsdorf, Rome Opera House Orchestra and Chorus

Also got one no dog which is supposedly not so great. The RCA Carmen's aren't supposed to be that hot either but it looks so cool it can't be bad. It is Dinah Shore and Lena Horne singing with NBC's Chamber Music Society of Lower Basin Street from the 30's. One of the backing bands is Henry Levine and his Barefoot Dixieland Philharmonic. Cool!

Jonathan,

I would love to ge that Bluenote Turntable package for $1999 that I had talked to you about at Colin's, but since I am such a newb I think it might be wise for me to buy something from Brian since he carries so many different brands and could help me answer all of my questions that I am sure to have arise. Of the stuff he carries, I am leaning towards a Nottingham Analogue or Transrotor.