What's new

Newsweek, Time, or US News & World Report? (1 Viewer)

Jon_Are

Senior HTF Member
I'm trying to decide to which newsweekly I should subscribe. I have a pretty good idea which I prefer, but I'd like some input from others.

Anyone subscribe to any of these? Which do you prefer, and why?

Jon

Eric_L

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric
some take different political views than others. Best not discussed here. Get one of each and stick with the one you find most informative. Some would say get the one with similar views to your own, others would say get the one with other views to expand your horizons.

I don't have the time for periodicals myself and get most of my news online. It is often tainted by opinion, but fortunately I can read through that.

SteveA

Supporting Actor
I dumped my subscription to Newsweek several years ago because of it's obvious political bias. From what I've seen, Time is just about as bad.

Alex-C

Screenwriter
Actually the more pressing and poignant question is:

Star, Nat'l Enquirer or Weekly World News ?

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Star, Nat'l Enquirer or Weekly World News ?
Weekly World news. The Former are just made up celebrity gossip with a grain of truth. I prefer a 100% fiction tabloid, and besides, WWN has Ed Anger, and how can I get through a week w/o being Pig-bitin mad at something?

Bob Graz

Supporting Actor
I've subscribed to all of them at some point in time. I tend to get bored of the formats and switch, I'd say that Time is the best, followed by Newsweek and then US News.

Although all can be had at discount pricing, Newsweek and US News offer substantial discounts on their subscriptions. Time is not as generous.

James Edward

Supporting Actor
I hope you don't mind a different suggestion...

If you really want an education on a weekly basis, pick up a copy or two of The Economist magazine. No, it is not a financial magazine, but a weekly news journal on a much higher plane than Newsweek, Time, or US News. It is surprisingly readable, considering how in-depth they go.

The three mags you mentioned seem to just regurgitate the same stuff you see on TV news. They have the same scare stories(IS YOUR BABY AT RISK? IS YOUR HOME TOXIC? IS YOUR BANK RIPPING YOU OFF? WILL YOUR NEXT HAMBURGER KILL YOU?), and similar shallow reporting.

I can't do The Economist justice in my description of it, so spend the 3-4 dollars and see for yourself. Within three issues, you will marvel at how well informed you've become.

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
Weekly World news. The Former are just made up celebrity gossip with a grain of truth. I prefer a 100% fiction tabloid, and besides, WWN has Ed Anger, and how can I get through a week w/o being Pig-bitin mad at something?
Agreed. Ed Anger rules.

James Edward

Supporting Actor
You know, what Jeff and Philip suggest is a great other news source. I submit as evidence:
NOWHERE in the mainstream press was Bat-Boy mentioned. He was first caught back in the early nineties, escaped, was caught again, and was last reported to be fighting in Iraq.
All of this was exclusive to Weekly World News. :emoji_thumbsup:

Jay Heyl

Stunt Coordinator
If you read the news online or in a daily newspaper you're going to be disappointed by any of the news magazines. By the time the magazine shows up the contents are old news. This was most obvious during the recent war in Iraq. The allied forces were halfway to Baghdad when I got the issue saying the "shock and awe" campaign was expected to begin any day.

If you must get a news magazine, I'd second the suggestion of "The Economist". It at least has the benefit of a different view of things.

Jason L.

Second Unit
I recently re-subscribed to TIME after a year or so absence.

I cannot believe how small the magazine is nowadays. It must be about half the size it used to be. The articles are also about half the size.

It as if TIME realized that either Americans just don't care about the news, don't have free time, simply don't read anymore, or are getting dumber.

One magazine that I would like to nominate is BUSINESSWEEK. Yes, the majority of articles are about business. However, they do have a number of politics/technology articles. The writing style is logical, in-depth, and even-handed.

I think I will give The Economist a spin.

Tom Meyer

Second Unit
I second The Economist. It's *by far* the best news mag out there. Very British, very smartass, very well written. They also have the best covers. One I can't stop laughing about is from a few yrs ago when they had a pic of North Korea's resident wacko Kim Jong Il on the cover with the caption "Greetings, Earthlings". :laugh:

You'll even find yourself reading the obituary every week.

That said, it ain't cheap. About $120/yr for weekly issues.

Angelo.M

Senior HTF Member
Another vote for The Economist. Time and its clones are all, IMHO, not very informative.

Dan Lindley

Second Unit
Economist is great, but expensive. Try online, though some articles require a subscription. Personally, I get Newsweek. You can find some great rates.

Dan

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
Of your three, U.S. News & World Report is easily the most unbiased and has more of their coverage devoted to ‘real’ news.

Those who have suggested The Economist are making an excellent suggestion. You will have a chance to become conversant with the ‘Big Mac’ theory of monetary equity. :D

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
another vote for The Economist. I get it as well as Newsweek, not sure why I still bother with Newsweek but I've subscribed since high school days, Economist I only got after I started work and could afford it. if I had to limit myself to one, that would be it.

the British sense of humour is evident in all the writing, very wry and dry, rather than in your face.

its articles are amazingly informative: after the Austrian Grand Prix this weekend, the wife was asking why they were playing a hymn at the presentation ceremony, I explained it was the German national anthem, and that the music had been written by Joseph Haydn -- by some coincidence I had just read an Economist article about Beethoven's Ninth, which mentioned this snippet of info and it stuck -- and she figured it was familiar perhaps because of piano lessons in her youth.

and perhaps because it's British, it's politics are less obvious and overall it's more balanced. IMHO, as compared to Newsweek or Time.

Tommy Ceez

Second Unit
Economist is mucho expensive!

I subscribe to The New Republic and National Review...that way I get the Left and the Right's take on every situation, I suppliment them with TIME and Atlantic Monthly.

Users who are viewing this thread