What's new

Newspaper TV listing/TV guide mining (1 Viewer)

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
Based on what Randall (@Flashgear) did under the "Watched on DVD Blu Classic TV" thread in running his local paper of the past for vintage listings and ads and what not, I thought I'd start a similar thread in running one of my local region's papers on Google News for vintage listings and ad treasures (the Spartanburg Herald-Journal). To start with, here's this listing from the Dec. 18, 1983 edition, where a fifth-and-final-season episode of Hart to Hart (shown here as Hart To Hart, with To capitalized) was shown on the ABC stations of that region (WSOC Channel 9 in Charlotte, NC, and WLOS Channel 13 in Asheville, NC [13 WLOS was, and still is, the default ABC station for the Greenville/Spartanburg/Anderson/Asheville market]); the episode was called "Trust Your Hart" (OAD Tues. Dec. 20, 1983 on ABC)...

heraldjournallistingsdec201983-2.jpg

And the blurb for it on the inside packaging of Shout!'s fifth-and-final-season Hart to Hart DVD release...

harttoharttrustyourhartdvdlisting.jpg

Last edited:

Desslar

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Stephen
Based on what Randall (@Flashgear) did under the "Watched on DVD Blu Classic TV" thread in running his local paper of the past for vintage listings and ads and what not, I thought I'd start a similar thread in running one of my local region's papers on Google News for vintage listings and ad treasures (the Spartanburg Herald-Journal). To start with, here's this listing from the Dec. 18, 1983 edition, where a fifth-and-final-season episode of Hart to Hart (shown here as Hart To Hart, with To capitalized) was shown on the ABC stations of that region (WSOC Channel 9 in Charlotte, NC, and WLOS Channel 13 in Asheville, NC [13 WLOS was, and still is, the default ABC station for the Greenville/Spartanburg/Anderson/Asheville market]); the episode was called "Trust Your Hart" (OAD Tues. Dec. 20, 1983 on ABC)...

View attachment 135812

And the blurb for it on the inside packaging of Shout!'s fifth-and-final-season Hart to Hart DVD release...

View attachment 135813
Great idea! I was thinking of the same thing.

Looking at the listing above - I love the glorious B-movies that the pay channels used to run relentlessly in those early days - Dragonslayer, The Challenge, Endangered Species... These days I imagine you only get major blockbusters and award winners.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
Great idea! I was thinking of the same thing.

Looking at the listing above - I love the glorious B-movies that the pay channels used to run relentlessly in those early days - Dragonslayer, The Challenge, Endangered Species... These days I imagine you only get major blockbusters and award winners.

Appreciate that! There will be more coming (I've mined a 1985 edition where the Sunday TV guide started to be called TV Week [this one was called TV Update]).

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
Bumping this up: as promised, here's a little bit of what I mined from that 1985 Herald-Journal Sunday TV Week...

--First, the daytime and nighttime listings for all stations in grid format, for Monday, Dec. 2, 1985...

heraldjournallistingsdec21985-2.jpg

--Second, an ABC ad for the Week 13 '85 MNF broadcast between the Chicago Bears and Miami Dolphins, on 13 WLOS (this would be the Bears' only loss in that phenomenal '85 season for them, on their way to a dominating win over the New England Patriots in Super Bowl XX)

heraldjournallistingsdec21985mnfadbearsdolphins.jpg

Also included: the packaging in the long out-of-print Warner Bros./NFL Films Chicago Bears 1985 Greatest Games DVD release for this broadcast on DVD (it's on Disc 8, and I also have an image of the disc labeling), and a screenshot of the matchup graphic on that broadcast (it was from the old Orange Bowl stadium in Miami).

bearsdolphinsdisc81985bearsdvdonslipcover.jpg

bearsdolphinsdisc81985bearsdvd.jpg

bearsdolphins1985matchupgraphicinbroadcast.png

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
1985 second-season ad from that Herald-Journal for Jeopardy!, as we knew it w/the late, great Alex Trebek (stayed at the same time slot for 3.5 decades, and IIRC, still does w/the newer people); does not have an image of Alex, but rather a contestant...

heraldjournal1985jeopardyad.jpg

Desslar

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Stephen
Bumping this up: as promised, here's a little bit of what I mined from that 1985 Herald-Journal Sunday TV Week...

--First, the daytime and nighttime listings for all stations in grid format, for Monday, Dec. 2, 1985...

View attachment 135856

--Second, an ABC ad for the Week 13 '85 MNF broadcast between the Chicago Bears and Miami Dolphins, on 13 WLOS (this would be the Bears' only loss in that phenomenal '85 season for them, on their way to a dominating win over the New England Patriots in Super Bowl XX)

View attachment 135857

Also included: the packaging in the long out-of-print Warner Bros./NFL Films Chicago Bears 1985 Greatest Games DVD release for this broadcast on DVD (it's on Disc 8, and I also have an image of the disc labeling), and a screenshot of the matchup graphic on that broadcast (it was from the old Orange Bowl stadium in Miami).

View attachment 135855

View attachment 135854

View attachment 135853
I watched and loved every minute of that game. Wish Marino was still around. Playing, that is. NFL uploaded the game to Youtube:

smithbrad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
I watched and loved every minute of that game. Wish Marino was still around. Playing, that is. NFL uploaded the game to Youtube:

Last Fall I rewatched the entire Bears 1985 season (official DVD release with a mix of collector broadcast captures). Some great games and great characters on that team. I enjoy watching classic sports.

Desslar

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Stephen
Last Fall I rewatched the entire Bears 1985 season (official DVD release with a mix of collector broadcast captures). Some great games and great characters on that team. I enjoy watching classic sports.
Sounds fun. I didn't know releases like that existed. I would buy the Dolphins 80s/90s seasons (well, most of them) if the full TV broadcasts were available (even better if the commercials were included).

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
Here's a daytime listing now: this for the first broadcast of the all-new $ale of the Century on NBC w/the late, great Jim Perry, Monday, Jan. 3, 1983 (my 2nd birthday) at 10:30 A.M. on NBC (this listing from the Herald-Journal has it on the former WFBC 4 [which is what my local NBC WYFF 4 was called in the early part of 1983, before becoming WYFF in March of 1983]; it was also on WIS Channel 10 in Columbia at that same time slot):

heraldjournaljan31983listings.jpg

And here is that actual first broadcast, with original hostess/model Sally Julian alongside Jim Perry (Sally Julian didn't last very long there, only going to about March of '83 before Lee Menning came in); on my 42nd birthday in 2023, it will celebrate its 40th anniversary...

Another thing that will celebrate its 40th anniversary the day after that is that classic Monday Night Football matchup of the strike-shortened 1982 season between the Dallas Cowboys and Minnesota Vikings, where Tony Dorsett of Dallas ran 99 yards from scrimmage at the 1 to score a TD (the record will never be broken, but it was overshadowed by that fact that Minnesota still won):

Last edited:

smithbrad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
Sounds fun. I didn't know releases like that existed. I would buy the Dolphins 80s/90s seasons (well, most of them) if the full TV broadcasts were available (even better if the commercials were included).
Unfortunately, it is a rare occurrence for there to be an official release. There are mostly just a few NFL teams with a couple of best of games. In addition, a few NBA finals series. Other than that, your best bet is to search out collectors that recorded the games back then. Commercial release won't have commercials and typically won't include halftime programs. However, most broadcast captures by collectors have the entire broadcast from start to finish.

smithbrad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
Another thing that will celebrate its 40th anniversary the day after that is that classic Monday Night Football matchup of the strike-shortened 1982 season between the Dallas Cowboys and Minnesota Vikings, where Tony Dorsett of Dallas ran 99 yards from scrimmage at the 1 to score a TD (the record will never be broken, but it was overshadowed by that fact that Minnesota still won):
As a Washington Football Team fan at the time, I remember that season well (we won the SB). As a result, I was very familiar with our nemesis, the Cowboys. That was a heck of a run.

Desslar

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Stephen
As a Washington Football Team fan at the time, I remember that season well (we won the SB). As a result, I was very familiar with our nemesis, the Cowboys. That was a heck of a run.
Although not really a fan, I grew up in in the DC area, and the team's media coverage was nonstop in those days. They also suddenly developed a lot of nicknames. In addition to the commonplace Skins, they were referred to as the Hogs/Fun Bunch/Smurfs, depending on which positions you were talking about.

That Super Bowl was a disappointment to me, although well played. Too bad Marino wasn't around just yet. Or at least someone who could tackle Riggins.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
Commercial release won't have commercials and typically won't include halftime programs.

That is true; however, I have one commercial release that does have some minor studio stuff, and that is the Oklahoma Sooners 5 Greatest Games release from A&E (the 1987 Red River Rivalry game between Oklahoma and Texas in that release has three gamebreaks w/Jim Nantz in New York [called College Football Report Updates], and two other instances where we see Jim Nantz in the New York studio).

Here is one of the College Football Report Update gamebreaks:

collegefootballreport1987gamebreak1-1.jpg

collegefootballreport1987gamebreak1-2.jpg

collegefootballreport1987gamebreak1-3.jpg

collegefootballreport1987gamebreak1-4.jpg

And here are some shots of Jim Nantz in New York in Studio 43 for CBS Sports updating scores of other games (the first shot is from the first of the two instances where we see him there; the others are from when we see him again towards the end of the broadcast)...

jimnantz1987studio1.jpg

jimnantz1987studio2.jpg

jimnantz1987studio3.jpg

jimnantz1987studio4.jpg

And finally, here is a score update with the College Football Report titling (one of many in that broadcast), long before the Bottom Line of today on ESPN and other networks:

collegefootballreport1987scoreupdate.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks