What's new

NEWSIES -THE BROADWAY MUSICAL why not on Blu-ray? (1 Viewer)

cinemiracle

Screenwriter
Real Name
Peter
NEWSIES - the Broadway musical comes to dvd on 23 May in USA. It was filmed live at the Pantages Theater in Los Angeles. The big question is - 'why isn't it being released on bluray'?

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I'm guessing it's being released only on DVD for the same reason the live musicals from NBC and Fox have only been released on DVD despite being broadcast in high definition: the studios involved don't have any faith that a Blu-ray would sell sufficient numbers to warrant its release. *I* think they're wrong, but, of course, I'm prejudiced.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
I don't think Disney has ever commercially released any of the tapings of their musicals.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Newsies played as a Fathom Event in theatres for four shows. It would have been at least a 2K presentation, so the source material would have given us a great Blu-ray

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
Disney seems to always underestimate the popularity of Newsies. When the movie was transformed into a stage musical it was meant to be a touring production only without playing Broadway. The reviews and business at Papermill Playhouse in New Jersey were so good that they decided to bring it to NY where it played a few years. Jeremy Jordan was only supposed to play the lead in NJ. He was contracted to play Clyde Barrow in a Bonnie and Clyde musical. When that show closed early, he was available to open Newsies on Broadway.

I agree Disney is not releasing this on blu ray because they don't believe it will sell. I am guessing the movie version probably didn't sell well on blu ray.

Last edited:

jim_falconer

Screenwriter
NEWSIES - the Broadway musical comes to dvd on 23 May in USA. It was filmed live at the Pantages Theater in Los Angeles. The big question is - 'why isn't it being released on bluray'?

Are you sure this is coming out on DVD? I thought Disney was only releasing this as a digital download

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Disney seems to always underestimate the popularity of Newsies. When the movie was transformed into a stage musical it was meant to be a touring production only without playing Broadway. The reviews and business at Papermill Playhouse in New Jersey were so good that they decided to bring it to NY where it played a few years. Jeremy Jordan was only supposed to play the lead in NJ. He was contracted to play Clyde Barrow in a Bonnie and Clyde musical. When that show closed early, he was available to open Newsies on Broadway.

I agree Disney is not releasing this on blu ray because they don't believe it will sell. I am guessing the movie version probably didn't sell well on blu ray.
I can tell you that I saw the national tour of Newsies, and it was a glorious entertainment with an intricately fascinating set and superb, high energy dancing from the entire company. The score and choreography won Tonys, and I think perhaps it should have received several others.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kisanwiki
Recent bookmarks