What's new

News Radio finally coming to DVD (1 Viewer)

From TvShowsOnDVD.com

Even though it was up for pre-order early (see our story here), the studio - Columbia - had not yet announced this title for release. This morning that is rectified, and we have the cover art for you, for starters:

Available for sale on Feb. 3, 2004, this 3-Disc set comes to you with fifty-thousand watts of pure comedy! Office politics, relationships, crises and more abound at WNYX News Radio, New York's #2 news radio station.

This is the entire 1st AND 2nd seasons of NewsRadio, presented in the original 1.33:1 fullscreen format, and with bonus features like NBC's original Electronic Press Kit (EPK) and bonus previews of other comedy TV DVDs from the studio. List price is $39.95, for 660 minutes of fun!

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
3.8 hours a disc, about the same as some discs of The Sopranos. Oh, wait, bonus material...probably over 4 hours a disc.

Yes, it will be overcompressed. Sports Night got squeezed too much as well. No, I'm not happy about it.

Justin Bauer

Supporting Actor
Damn, I did not even look at the specs. I am not happy about 660 on 3 discs, but at least I finally get one of my favorite shows on DVD.

Marc Colella

Senior HTF Member
Many movies that are 3+ hours have a DD 5.1 track.

Wouldn't 3.8 hours with only a 2.0 track (I'm assuming it won't have a 5.1 track) have the same amount of compression?

Gord Lacey

Senior HTF Member
There's just a small EPK on the set, nothing that would require much space.

Columbia TriStar DOES like to squeeze every bit out of their discs, sometimes resulting in a poor picture. I haven't seen much of their recent TV releases to comment on the quality.

Gord

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
I fear that oversqueezed box sets, especially of TV shows, are the future.

I remember VHS box sets (like Twin Peaks) that were only available in EP mode. Six to eight 1-hour episodes per VHS tape.

Some things do not change.

Sports Night showed more picture detail in reruns on Comedy Central (analog cable) than my DVD set shows. Yeah, the TV broadcast is noisier, but the DVD looks heavily filtered.

Dan Rudolph

Senior HTF Member
Soap was 10 eps per disc and looked pretty bad, but that might have to do with it being 25 years old and shot on tape. I don't think I've seen any recent Columbia releases of relatively recent shows.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation636
Recent bookmarks