What's new

News on the Sony SAT-HD100 DTV Decoder Box? (1 Viewer)

MikeM

Screenwriter
The title pretty much tells the story, but does anyone have any release date/news about the new Sony SAT-HD100 DTV Decoder Box?
I'm itchin' to get one of these....any info is appreciated. Thanks.
------------------
Mike McGee, Inaka Software
Link Removed

GaryS

Agent
I called Sony yesterday and they said it would be available by the 2nd or 3rd week of February.

Don H

Auditioning
The MPAA have seen that this receiver will be useless in receiving HD programs, probably as early as next year.
For additional info go to www.avsforum.com and do a search on MPAA.

MikeM

Screenwriter
The MPAA have seen that this receiver will be useless in receiving HD programs, probably as early as next year.
Don, do you have any links/info to back this up?
I've been lightly following the different "standards" of HDTV, but is your in reference to this box exclusively, or all current set-top boxes? Please explain, thanks.
------------------
Link Removed

Corey K

Auditioning
MikeM,
The comment made about the MPAA applies to all STB's including last years Rca dtc-100. So as far as im concerned that is not a stopper for the sony or any other for that matter. Either we buy one and live with it or sit around and complain and not have any HD. Im over it, im gonna enjoy what HD I can get when I can get it. We may not like it but thats the way it is. This stuff will all shake out in the next year or two. For better or worse.
I believe this is going to be a nice STB. Im number 26 on the list for mine.
Lt8r,
corey

GaryS

Agent
Corey,
Someone on another board said they received an email from Sony stating the HD100 would ship on Valentine's Day. I hope it's true.

MikeM

Screenwriter
Just curious, if this, and other boxes really may be obsolete after a year or so, if one were to buy the 5 year extneded warranty, wouldn't that mean the manufacturer would have to replace it if the box fails to receive HDTV like it promises?
Just curious...
------------------
Link Removed

Scott MS

Auditioning
To answer the last questions, I highly doubt that you would be able to receive a new box if the HDTV standard changed, just like people with the Divx players didn't get a new player. If the HD format changed, the Sony SAT-HD100 will still be able to pick up regular DirecTv programming so it wouldn't be useless. Further, if stations are as quick to change their signal adding copy protection as they are in rolling out content in HDTV, this might happen in 8 years!
Since I am also on the waiting list at OneCall for the SAT-HD100, I called yesterday to see if they had an ETD based on an earlier post that said "any day now". The guy at Onecall said end of March and more realistically this summer!
I don't think anyone really knows the answer except some people at Sony. I wonder what the delay is on these boxes.
Sony had originally announced the DTR-HD1 stand alone HDTV receiver a couple of years ago and bundled a similar one (without the front LCD display) with their first 34" HDTV. The DTR-HD1 was never released as it's own product. With the thousands of people who have purchased XBR300 RPTV models (like me), HS10 RPTV models, XBR10W models, or XBR400 tube models with the promise of a 1080i-ready set, there will be a lot of unhappy and mislead people if this box is not released soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks