News on an SE of first Harry Potter?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Brenton, Dec 28, 2002.

1. Brenton

Brenton Screenwriter

I remember hearing a while back that the director of Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's (Philosopher's) Stone had possible plans for a new DVD version of the film with extras geared at us "Muggles" to make up for the childishly useless disc two of the first version (possibly with a new transfer). Anyone remember this? Anyone know anything about whether or not this will come to fruition?
    I haven't even seen the film yet, but if a reasonable SE came out, I may be talked into a blind purchase. (So many people tell me how good the film is.)

2. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

Supposedly (unconfirmed) Chris Columbus is taking an extended vacation right now and is going to do a real SE in time for Prisoner of Azkaban

3. oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx Lead Actor

and he does have time as there is no POA until 2004
    Brenton why not rent it then
    [​IMG]

4. Brenton

Brenton Screenwriter

5. oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx Lead Actor

[​IMG]

6. Dan Hitchman

Dan Hitchman Cinematographer

I thought when the DVD first came out Columbus wanted to do a director's cut, but the brass put a stop to it.

Perhaps with his free time (now that he isn't helming any H.P. films) he can sit down and do ultimate director's cuts (and DTS-ES 6.1) for Harry Potter 1 & 2 with supplements worthy of film buffs, much like Peter Jackson's uber-sets for The Lord of the Rings.

How about it?

Dan

7. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

8. Joshua Clinard

Joshua Clinard Screenwriter

Joshua Clinard
    There were only 7 deleted scenes. The DVDfile review was wrong. All of which could have been added back into the film to make it more true to the book.

9. Ray H

Ray H Producer

Ray
    Where did DVDFile get their info on that anyway? They list about a half hour of deleted scenes when there's barely 10 minutes. Just curious.

10. Adam_WM

Adam_WM Screenwriter

I won't hold my breath for Harry POtter SE anytime soon.

11. John Alderson

John Alderson Supporting Actor

12. Bjorn Olav Nyberg

Bjorn Olav Nyberg Supporting Actor

I guess one thing that could be improved with a director's cut, along the lines of LOTR:FOTR, is a re-cut. I did rent HP and while I found it entertaining enough, it seemed a little stressful and almost frantic at times. Seeing how the extended edition of FOTR improved the first release, I was wondering if maybe HP could do with a new edit as well, to make it seem a little less hurried. I did get a feeling from viewing it that maybe it was cut to be time-compressed a little. Or am I completely off target here...

13. Robert Franklin

Robert Franklin Stunt Coordinator

Who said Warner is longer doing DTS? The last movie that I recently released is True Romance - Unrated Directors' Cut. That title was released in September 24, 2002. Also, since Warren L. is leaving Warner, there is a possibility that Warner will release more DTS titles. I'm not getting my hopes up though.

Never forget, that New Line is owned by Warner/AOL. And they seem to be releasing more titles with DTS. Also, don't forget that Warner has its own manufacturing plant for dvds. WAMO - Warner Advanced Media Operations.

RF

14. James Reader

James Reader Screenwriter

A re-release of Harry Potter And The Sorcerer/Philosopher's Stone will come out. It's far to big an opportunity for Warners to miss.

Personally now that Chris Columbus has stopped his directing chores on the title and HPatPoA is timetabled for 2004 not 2003 I expect it to be released in November 2003 to keep the franchise fresh in people's minds.

15. todd s

todd s Lead Actor

While on this topic. Can someone please tell me how to get to the deleted scenes? I really don't have the time or inclination to do the puzzles to get to them.

Thanks!

16. Dan Brecher

Dan Brecher Producer

17. Thomas Smailus

Thomas Smailus Stunt Coordinator

Yeah, its a long dead thread - so sue me.

I, for one, wish some of the scenes had been put in, that were not, because they are key to understanding the development of the plot.

A scene with the potions puzzel was maybe not needed, but it would have helped. The scene where Harry remembers reading the name Flammel is key and should have been left in.

Likewise in CoS, many of the deleted scenes really have a place in the film.

Ideally, you could select at the start, if yoiu want to watch the movie in cut A or with all the scenes put in and it runs seamlessly that way - the viewer can choose.

But I'm sure there are technical reasons for that just like they cannot have only anamorphic (which is cut to pan/scan by the software) or why the need to have region codes at all (that has yet to prove to be anything than a giant nusiance to film buffs).

18. Mark E J

Mark E J Second Unit

The original cut of Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone ran 4 hours long so there is a vast amount of footage not present on the disc in any form.

I read awhile back that Chris Columbus wanted to restore about a little over a half-hour of footage, most of which does not appear on the second disc.

19. Philip Verdieck

Philip Verdieck Second Unit

Cool. I'd buy that in a heartbeat.

I watched the deleted scenes for CoS, and there is a lot of stuff that should have been kept in.

20. Daryl Stovall

Daryl Stovall Second Unit

Big fan of the books, but have to admit, the two movie adaptations left me underwhelmed. I found Chris Columbus interpretations too literal and unimaginative. Hopefully the new director (forgot his name) will bring a little imagination and tighten up the editing so it does'nt plod along like its' two predecessors.