What's new

News. News. We need News. (1 Viewer)

GMBurns

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Glenn
I think the reason for the lack of news is that there isn't any.

I collect mainly 50's 60's 70's stuff & 2017 has been pretty disappointing.for me. Back in the golden days I was buying 40 to 50 sets a year, round about one a week.. This year I have bought exactly two.

I don't want to bore everybody with lists tbut could comfortably name 50 series I would purchase if they became available.but I don't expect to see any of them.

I think we have to face the fact that DVD,,particularly for those eras has died the death.

There were some really nice 50's/60's/70's releases in 2017: Decoy, Green Acres, the final season of Rifleman, the Immortal, Longstreet and Police Story season 2. But they were perhaps so pleasant because they were so few and far between. It allowed me to catch up on other 50's/60's/70's stuff that I didn't have time or money for previously, such as Cimarron City, M Squad, Honey West, Route 66, the Incredible Hulk and the 12th season of Gunsmoke. All of which I am delighted to have. But the steady drip of previous years is definitely down to a slow crawl. Not that I can complain because I have so much fun stuff to watch. Not that I won't keep hoping for things like Burke's Law season 2. But I think fans of tv series from that era are definitely in the maintenance mode. It was quite an enjoyable ride while it lasted, though. And I can moan and groan all I want, but I still have thousands of episodes on my shelves waiting to be discovered and enjoyed.

JamesSmith

Senior HTF Member
There were some really nice 50's/60's/70's releases in 2017: Decoy, Green Acres, the final season of Rifleman, the Immortal, Longstreet and Police Story season 2. But they were perhaps so pleasant because they were so few and far between. It allowed me to catch up on other 50's/60's/70's stuff that I didn't have time or money for previously, such as Cimarron City, M Squad, Honey West, Route 66, the Incredible Hulk and the 12th season of Gunsmoke. All of which I am delighted to have. But the steady drip of previous years is definitely down to a slow crawl. Not that I can complain because I have so much fun stuff to watch. Not that I won't keep hoping for things like Burke's Law season 2. But I think fans of tv series from that era are definitely in the maintenance mode. It was quite an enjoyable ride while it lasted, though. And I can moan and groan all I want, but I still have thousands of episodes on my shelves waiting to be discovered and enjoyed.

And you can share them with your kids and/or the next generation.

--james

JamesSmith

Senior HTF Member
The fact is as time goes by and more older people DIE the interest in old shows, b/w shows, and anything not of today is deemed less and less important

after all how 'cost effective' is it...? and money, money, money is ALL that matters now

who could possibly want to watch older shows, well made, well acted , well written and directed memorable TV shows when you can have 'modern' TV of today's quality ??

Reality shows, cookery shows, talent shows, celeb shows about 'Trophy Housewives of here, there, everywhere....', keeping up with the Kardassians, or those mega fast paced shows about one dimensional characters foiling sex pervert cases left, right, and center...

there's just 'no demand' for anything not of today - fact

all those who think otherwise clearly don't understand the thinking of modern TV execs - who are always right of course...

The wisdom of the modern TV exec must never be questioned. It is they who understand demographics and who the networks are catering too. It is they who can never be fired due to many factors that are far beyond the comprehension of mortals such as are. Blessed be the TV executive; for they shall be rewarded with stock options and golden parachutes while their audiences cry at the lack of "heart" in current programming.

Ok. That's my biggest complaint. The lack of "heart" that's in todays television.

James

JamesSmith

Senior HTF Member
Perhaps I can rephrase my following statements:

News I WANT to hear:

I would love to hear from CBS/Paramount that they are resuming putting out the Gunsmoke/Bonanza/Love Boat/Beverly Hillbillies on a regular basis.

I would love to hear more obscure cartoon/childrens shows from the sixties and seventies coming out such as Emergency plus 4, the Osmonds, Kids From Caper, the Old Curiosity Shop, The Hardy Boys. The Reluctant Dragon and other non HB series.

More unreleased HB television from WB Archives.

Do any of you find current television wanting in something besides all the additional commercial times. I find todays leading protagonists less sympathetic and understanding in so many ways. We have more television channels than ever before, and yet there's less on I want to visit.

--james

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)

News I WANT to hear:

I would love to hear from CBS/Paramount that they are resuming putting out the Gunsmoke/Bonanza/Love Boat/Beverly Hillbillies on a regular basis.

I would love to hear more obscure cartoon/childrens shows from the sixties and seventies coming out such as Emergency plus 4, the Osmonds, Kids From Caper, the Old Curiosity Shop, The Hardy Boys. The Reluctant Dragon and other non HB series.

Do any of you find current television wanting in something besides all the additional commercial times. I find todays leading protagonists less sympathetic and understanding in so many ways. We have more television channels than ever before, and yet there's less on I want to visit.

--james
I was going through my "memories" on Facebook a few days ago and saw where NINE YEARS AGO Constantly Being Stalled was releasing S3 of The Beverly Hillbillies. Since then, we have had S4 released as a barebones release with music edits and a superb job on S1. But nine years! That's ridiculous. It should have been finished years ago or farmed out to Shout!

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
It should have been finished years ago or farmed out to Shout!

That's how I felt about Hart to Hart (which was farmed out to Shout! in 2015, incidentally; that was great news for the fans of that 1979-84 ABC adventure series [myself included], as it ended a near-decade dry spell since the second-season release from Sony); now one can get Hart to Hart in all its individual releases (Sony/Shout!), or in the all-in-one from Shout! (with redone keepcase versions of the Sony releases).

John*Wells

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John

News I WANT to hear:

--james
I am with you. It seems that there are so many commercial cuts that shows barely make sense . I mostly rely in my DVD Collection. Of course, Some shows, Gomer Pyle USMC For one are edited do to Rights of one kind or the other. I mean I would gladly pay at a premium for Gomer Pyle or any other favorite with the full Episodes in them ..

Sky King

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John
There are many great 50's and 60's shows still gathering dust while shows of lesser quality proliferate.
I'll mention...once again my HOLY GRAIL with a photo and ask... where the hell is it ???

casey.jpg

Regulus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
William Hughes
I am with you. It seems that there are so many commercial cuts that shows barely make sense . I mostly rely in my DVD Collection. .

I know how you feel. It was commercials that made me become a DVD collector, both the insane glut of commercials showed during a program as well as what was shown on those commercials. I been without Cable TV for almost 11 years now, and for what little I've seen on their shows (Usually when visiting someone) things have only got worse. For example when visiting my Mother she was watching a news channel. A commercial break began, the're was over seven minutes of ads! As usual one of the commercials was for an "adult product" :eek:. It was a Saturday afternoon, which happens to be a time children could see it. :angry: I don't miss Cable at all, and my Video Library has done nothing but get bigger and bigger with each and every month, using the money I save from not paying a provider (As a matter of fact it's CHEAPER to get programming on home video than it is to subscribe to a Pay-TV service!). :D As for news on what's coming next on home video we entering the "Doldrums", which will last until spring. Nonetheless at least a couple or more "grails" will be announced. Enjoy the holidays everyone, hopefully Santa will bring you some shows for your collection. :cheers:

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
I am with you. It seems that there are so many commercial cuts that shows barely make sense . I mostly rely in my DVD Collection. Of course, Some shows, Gomer Pyle USMC For one are edited do to Rights of one kind or the other. I mean I would gladly pay at a premium for Gomer Pyle or any other favorite with the full Episodes in them ..

So what’s wrong with Gomer Pyle? I recently purchased the entire series off Amazon for less than $40, and so far have really enjoyed it. (I’m only just now starting on Season 2.) I noticed it had Gomer singing the song to the Colonel’s daughter in Jim Nabor’s voice in the “A Date With the Colonel’s Daughter” ep; and almost all the eps were 25 minutes in length, so I don’t see how too much could have been cut out.

John*Wells

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
So what’s wrong with Gomer Pyle? I recently purchased the entire series off Amazon for less than $40, and so far have really enjoyed it. (I’m only just now starting on Season 2.) I noticed it had Gomer singing the song to the Colonel’s daughter in Jim Nabor’s voice in the “A Date With the Colonel’s Daughter” ep; and almost all the eps were 25 minutes in length, so I don’t see how too much could have been cut out.

There are multiple episodes where scenes were cut due to music rights. The episodes should run a little more than 25 minutes. Some only run 22. I would like to see a complete uncut set

MartinP.

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin
--james

Don't forget back in the early 1960's there was the famous Newton Minow speech calling TV America's vast wasteland.
Your sentiment isn't new. My mother once opined when we got a 4th channel available in our viewing area that, "The
more channels there are the less there is to watch." Bless her. Just like the fact there are a lot of dreck in movies every
year, there's always been a significant amount of inferior programs on TV every year. It's all in the eye of the beholder,
too. The critics and reviewers absolutely hated Gilligan's Island, but the public doesn't and it's still around and there is
hardly a person who doesn't know what it is. Not bad for a show few admit to actually liking.

I absolutely love many programs currently airing on TV, cable, streaming services, NetFlix, etc. I'm continually amazed at
how much there is to discover. I also love the retro channels and home video offerings. So I don't blanketly agree with your
statement, because you can find what you're looking for in your statement if you want to. It's just that it might be harder to
find because there are so many places to look now.

Ron1973

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
That's how I felt about Hart to Hart (which was farmed out to Shout! in 2015, incidentally; that was great news for the fans of that 1979-84 ABC adventure series [myself included], as it ended a near-decade dry spell since the second-season release from Sony); now one can get Hart to Hart in all its individual releases (Sony/Shout!), or in the all-in-one from Shout! (with redone keepcase versions of the Sony releases).
I watched it with my parents when I was a kid, and then when Hallmark started running it again a few years ago, I got hooked. I had friends teasing me on Facebook about my obsession because I watched it religiously every night!

JamesSmith

Senior HTF Member
Don't forget back in the early 1960's there was the famous Newton Minow speech calling TV America's vast wasteland.
Your sentiment isn't new. My mother once opined when we got a 4th channel available in our viewing area that, "The
more channels there are the less there is to watch." Bless her. Just like the fact there are a lot of dreck in movies every
year, there's always been a significant amount of inferior programs on TV every year. It's all in the eye of the beholder,
too. The critics and reviewers absolutely hated Gilligan's Island, but the public doesn't and it's still around and there is
hardly a person who doesn't know what it is. Not bad for a show few admit to actually liking.

I absolutely love many programs currently airing on TV, cable, streaming services, NetFlix, etc. I'm continually amazed at
how much there is to discover. I also love the retro channels and home video offerings. So I don't blanketly agree with your
statement, because you can find what you're looking for in your statement if you want to. It's just that it might be harder to
find because there are so many places to look now.

You are correct, sir.

James

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
I watched it with my parents when I was a kid, and then when Hallmark started running it again a few years ago, I got hooked. I had friends teasing me on Facebook about my obsession because I watched it religiously every night!

What station was Hart to Hart on in your area (i.e. what was the ABC station at that time)?

Ron1973

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
What station was Hart to Hart on in your area (i.e. what was the ABC station at that time)?
WHBQ, channel 13 from Memphis, KAIT, channel 8 from Jonesboro, AR., and WBBJ, channel 7 in Jackson, TN. Dad invested in a high dollar antenna and rotor, so we got quite a few stations!

John*Wells

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I know how you feel. It was commercials that made me become a DVD collector, both the insane glut of commercials showed during a program as well as what was shown on those commercials. I been without Cable TV for almost 11 years now, and for what little I've seen on their shows (Usually when visiting someone) things have only got worse. For example when visiting my Mother she was watching a news channel. A commercial break began, the're was over seven minutes of ads! As usual one of the commercials was for an "adult product" :eek:. It was a Saturday afternoon, which happens to be a time children could see it. :angry: I don't miss Cable at all, and my Video Library has done nothing but get bigger and bigger with each and every month, using the money I save from not paying a provider (As a matter of fact it's CHEAPER to get programming on home video than it is to subscribe to a Pay-TV service!). :D As for news on what's coming next on home video we entering the "Doldrums", which will last until spring. Nonetheless at least a couple or more "grails" will be announced. Enjoy the holidays everyone, hopefully Santa will bring you some shows for your collection. :cheers:

if News on the Next Season of Perfect Strangers Came out, it would be good. I watched it on Hulu Recently and couldn't stop laughing . I would also Like a release of the 1973 Miracle on 34th St with Sebastian Cabot as Kris Kringle. ..If one or the other happened, Id be happy ..and if Both Happened Id do the Dance of Joy LOL

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
WHBQ, channel 13 from Memphis, KAIT, channel 8 from Jonesboro, AR., and WBBJ, channel 7 in Jackson, TN. Dad invested in a high dollar antenna and rotor, so we got quite a few stations!

And WHBQ, IINM, is the only one that is a Fox station now (the other ones still being with ABC).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks