News from DVDfile.... Godfather single disc...

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Dave Mack, Feb 26, 2004.

1. Dave Mack

Dave Mack Producer

"Also just in from Paramount Home Entertainment is a little sneak peek at more of their spring lineup of new DVD releases... a new single-disc, REMASTERED edition of Francis Ford Coppola's The Godfather..."

Would this be the infamous "Lowry cleaned up version...?"

2. Richard Kim

Richard Kim Producer

3. Dave Mack

Dave Mack Producer

I did read that whole thread actually which was quite controversial and everyone was waiting to see what the deal was with this.... Now DVDFile mentions a REMASTER, hence my question. Unless DVDFile is inaccurate, a REMASTERED version implies a different transfer... That's why I asked...

4. Larry Talbot

Larry Talbot Second Unit

I'm not going to read through all five pages of that thread to find out what's going on with any new releases of The Godfather, or why the thread was closed.
    I just hope they DO remaster the first two films on DVD, because on my front projector, they look worse than any other DVDs in my collection, or any big budget DVD I've ever seen, for that matter (worse even than Gangs of New York, and that's saying a lot.)

5. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    I'm going with what Mr. Blythe said. DVDFile.com is a good site, but they don't always check their facts before putting it in the news.

6. Casey Trowbridg

Casey Trowbridg Lead Actor

I've got to agree with Patrick, and I'll also side with the word we got from Mr. Blythe.

Plus, I just recently bought the box set, and so I'm content with it for awhile.

7. JustinCleveland

JustinCleveland Cinematographer

Justin Cleveland
    "Remastered" is a buzzword these days, and technically the film had to have been "remastered" to obtain the quality on the current DVD set.

8. george kaplan

george kaplan Executive Producer

The following is a quote from another website, the Digital Bits:

which is in concert with what Martin said (who knows better than any website).

http://www.thedigitalbits.com/#mytwocents is the link, though it's likely to be outdated in the near future.

9. Dave H

Dave H Producer

I will take Blythe's word over DVDFILE's in this case. I'm sure he has more accurate information.

10. Mike Williams

Mike Williams Screenwriter

thedigitalbits reports that it is the exact same transfer as appeared in the box set. We'll see.

11. Mike Williams

Also, "remastered" does not mean the same thing as "restored."

12. Larry Talbot

Larry Talbot Second Unit

Well, that's a shame then. I tried watching the first film a couple of days ago and IMO the print looked so bad as to be nearly unwatchable. I've seen movies on VHS that looked better. The only advantage I can see to releasing the exact same DVDs seperately is that those of you who don't already own them can avoid the agony that is Godfather III (Now if only Spielberg/Lucas would do the same with Indiana Jones, so I never have to shell out my hard earned cash for Temple of Doom...)

13. Mike Williams

I totally agree with you, Larry. I think the transfer is horrible, and looks a lot better when it recently aired on HBO. "Others" will tell you it's a beautiful transfer and perfectly represents the film as it was intended to be seen. I guess Francis wanted a really artifact-ridden, dirty, noisy film.

14. dannyB

dannyB Stunt Coordinator

Larry and Mike [​IMG]

15. Dan Kaplan

Dan Kaplan Stunt Coordinator

That's disappointing. I was considering ordering the Godfather and thought I'd check first to see if it's truly remastered or just the oft complained about version from the box set. Alas...

I may go ahead and get it anyway, though. Good enough movie to put up with some iffy video quality. Just so long as I don't have to pay the ridiculous box set price for Part III (I'd have been embarrassed to include it in the set if I were Coppola) and the special features that don't sound all that special. $60-100 for 2 movies with video quality no one cares for doesn't quite sit right.

Dan

16. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart
    It's not THAT bad. The grain is at a higher level than "normal" in places, but it usually isn't any worse than your standard cheap optical. The Godfather is comparable to Universal's DVD of The Blues Brothers... it has grain and is a little soft, but never to the point of being awful. In fact, the level of detail in The Godfather is really good.

However, it does have more edge enhancement than I'd prefer in a few shots.

17. Larry Talbot

Larry Talbot Second Unit

"It's not THAT bad."

What kind of setup are you watching it on, Patrick? I'm always surprised to see people defend the video quality of this DVD. I wonder if, when blown up to FP size (my screen is 82-inches wide) it looks a lot worse than it does on a smaller scale. Are you watching it on an RPTV?

"I'd have been embarrassed to include it in the set if I were Coppola."

Totally agree with you, Dan. It was as if Coppola's evil, and very stupid twin, took over the direction of Godfather III.

18. greg_t

greg_t Screenwriter

Looks great on my setup. I guess I am one of the "others".

19. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart
    I've watched the disc on both my 36" Sony monitor (CRT) and on my laptop's DVD-ROM.

Both are calibrated correctly... in fact, it looks better on my monitor than my laptop. My laptop allows for me to view in high-def (I have it on 1024x768 resolution), so I can be a little more critical of DVD's. In fact, some DVD's that actually looked pretty good on my CRT monitor (Like The Court Jester), show all kinds of flaws on my laptop.

The grain isn't a problem, nor is the color. If LDI used the existing transfers, you wouldn't get any better quality except for a "smoother" look. The softness and color/contrast is probably just right, too... the transfer seems to go for the Technicolor dye-transfer look.

20. Larry Talbot

Larry Talbot Second Unit

"I've watched the disc on both my 36" Sony monitor (CRT) and on my laptop's DVD-ROM."

That fits with my theory. I think your opinion might change if you saw the same DVD on a much larger screen. FP is very unforgiving when it comes to picture quality. That goes for all DVDs of course, but, like I said, I have yet to see a major release look as bad on my screen as the Godfather does. I was actually shocked the first time I projected it.