What's new

News about future Batman animated DVD's. (1 Viewer)

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
Casey Kasem did Robin on the SuperFriends, a Hanna Barbera show. On the Filmation Batman it was Burt Ward as Robin, and Adam West was Batman. At least the ones i remember watching were that way, could have changed. I liked that show as a kid, minus the Bitemite.

Dale_

Agent
The filmation Batman wasn't quite the same time-frame as Superfriends. The original Batman cartoons ran from 1968-70, with Superfriends beginning in 1973. Olan Soule did the voice of Batman, and Casey Kasem Robin, on both. In 1977 Filmation did new Batman cartoons, with West and Ward in the voices.
For the last two seasons of Superfriends, Adam West took over the voice chores on Batman, while Kasem remained as Robin.

Real Name
Anthony
Yeah, that's the ones I mean - '68-70. Thanks Dale. The animation was rubbish but the soundtracks were great. I've got a VHS with five of them on it but it'd be great to see the whole lot on DVD. I wouldn't mind the 77 ones either, unless they're the ones with that Batmite thing. Any chance of it, d'you think ?

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
Yea, 77 was the Batmite one. I remember it was the Tarzan/Batman Advenute Hour or some such thing. I saw the 68-70 Batman on Cartoon Network not to long ago. They seem to be incorperated into The Superfriends. I would assum that the Fimation Batman must be reverting back to DC. The only Fimation shows i see anymore have rights that belong to someone else. Such as Star Trek Animated, Fat Albert, Brady Kids, and so on. I read a few months ago about a new animated Batman, a young hip show. Whatever happened to it, never saw it?

David Williams

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Williams

If you're speaking of The Batman, it airs on KidsWB! Saturday mornings and sporadically through the week on Cartoon Network. Imho, it's pretty much dreck in comparison to Timm et al's work on BTAS and its derivatives.

Chris S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris S
From the reviews that I read the last couple of episodes from The Batman were fairly decent, although I never saw them. I gave up on that show after about 4 episodes.

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
The Batman huh? I looked for it but never found it. Now i don't need to bother. Course i didn't think it would be up to par with BTAS. BTAS is a great show, maybe the best American produced animated series ever.

Ocean Phoenix

Supporting Actor
It's no "Batman: The Animated Series", but the new Batman cartoon isn't that bad if you don't take it too seriously and overanalyze it. I've seen episodes featuring the villains Scarface, Clayface, Mr. Freeze, and The Riddler and enjoyed all of them (I hate The Riddler's design, though). I'm pretty open-minded towards interpretations of Batman/Batman villians being a big fan of he and his Rogues gallery, so I don't mind the show like many other fans seem to.

Jay Pennington

Screenwriter
Yeah, the show isn't really all that bad, but it had such big shoes to fill that it's swimming in them.

While I found the 22 minutes not entirely a waste of time, ultimately I didn't care enough about it to make sure to watch/timeshift it regularly.

Robert Floto

Supporting Actor
I've been watching The Batman, and for the most part it's an okay cartoon...but it really isn't Batman.

I don't like some of the liberties they are taking with the source material at all. In one episode Batman had a big fight with a martial arts using Penguin! When did the Penguin get tough enough to knock Batman around!?!

Also, they are adding Batgirl to the series soon, and the design just isn't right at all. Check this out...

Patrick H.

Second Unit
Recently picked up the first two boxed sets of the original animated series, and I am absolutely loving it. The handcrafted quality of the animation on these shows is wonderful, and the character designs are leagues better than the more stylized versions they've been using ever since. Question, though, about the first-volume episode 'Vendetta' (Killer Croc's intro)...anybody else have a digital glitch during the Warner logo right at the head of that show? I noticed it the other night, and found it didn't show up on a frame-by-frame scan. Pulldown error, maybe, or do I have a bad disc?

And, yeah, definitely not a fan of the new show. The designs just ain't right.

Prentice Cotham

Supporting Actor
Picked up Volume 3 of Batman Animated yesterday. This has one of my favorite episodes "Bane" in it. I guess we will be seeing The New Batman Adventures episodes in the fall/winter.

I just wish the WB would mail me my $15 rebate on the previous sets.

Bryan Ri

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan

I just got mine last week, hopefully yours will be in soon.

I'm glad WB finally made an attempt to make the menus animated on Vol. 3.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
The new volume has a nice segment on the introduction of Batgirl, which is one of the best mini-features in any of the volumes. Vol. 3 is full of some of the best episodes of the series, and came at the "end" of the series before the revamp. I think the writers took more chances with these stories and overall, I think they are the most satisfying bunch of the show's run, which is saying a lot. Hope Vol. 4 (the revamp) shows up soon. BTW, how many episodes were involved in The New Adventures...? Will they fit in one volume?

David Galindo

Screenwriter
Oh crap, it came out yesterday? I need to go buy it!

How many episodes are in the set before the "revamping" occurs?

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Sam, isn't the series complete now (including the episodes when they changed the title of the series)? So wouldn't it be an entirely different show (such as Batman Beyond, Batman: Gotham Knights, or The Batman)? So they would call it by that title as opposed to Batman: The Animated Series.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate

I suppose that's true. I always thought of it as an extension of TAS since it had the same creative team and came right after it, but it is technically a different show.

I guess it won't be "Volume 4," although it will be to me. ; )

Prentice Cotham

Supporting Actor
The New Batman Adventures w/ the new Timm animated style has some of the best animated Bat episodes including Over the Edge and Mad Love. I can't wait for that one. I'm like you Sam, I considered it an extension since we were dealing with the same characters only a few years down the road.

Jonathan_Clarke

Second Unit
I think everyone, including the team on it considered TNBA to be an extension of BTAS. There are a lot of references to storylines from the old series in the newer episodes.

It was really marketing that pushed for the new show. Superman, while great, wasn't quite the hit WB hoped so freshening it up with new Batman episodes was a perfect idea. The licensors pushed for a whole new look to the show too, making it easier to resell the characters as toys and the like.

Maybe this weekend I'll pick up Volume 3. Along with NewsRadio. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks