What's new

News about future Batman animated DVD's. (1 Viewer)

Matthew Green

Stunt Coordinator
First off, I've broken down the math, and also run this through some channels I know, so while most of it isn't official, the answer to your question is still in here.

There will be 3 DVD editions of Classic BTAS as we know it-

The first is out, the second hits the 25th. Both have 28 episodes each. This leaves 29 episodes left under the Batman & Robin banner (when Fox decided Robin must be in every episode). The 3rd DVD set, as far as I've seen (WB even had a press release somewhere), WILL be called The Adv of Batman & Robin, and hits this fall. This is the final remaining 29 episodes of "classic" BTAS.

So YES, The Vol 3 set of Adventures WILL have the newer intro and credits.

Gotham Knights had 28-29 episodes, and will be released NEXT year as, Batman: Gotham Knights.

Now, for your Superman question tie in:

Superman Vol 1 hits the 25 this month with BTAS Vol 2. It contains 18 episodes. There were 54 STAS episodes made, which include the normal STAS show, and then the Batman/Superman mix. There are 3 volumes of STAS planned, 3 2-disc sets of 18 episodes each (54/3 = 18). STAS Vol 2 should hit this fall with the B&R set.

So: NO COMBINED EPISODES (not shouting for rudeness, just calling attention to the "short answer" =)

As for the intro question, I believe there was a Gotham Knights intro before WB actually combined the shows into the hour block. I saw something like it running at Wizard World one year, anyway.

And you didn't ask, but I'll clarify anyway: although World's Finest is on DVD already, it's part of STAS, and should be in Volume 2.

The only real changeups the DVDs do from the Episode Listings is air the episodes in order of actual airdate, so a few episodes are flopped around, which only ruins what episodes you get with the set.

I know this because going by the episode listing on tvtome.com STAS volume 1 WOULDNT have the Flash episode, but the official DVD listing shuffles 2 or 3 episodes around, so Vol 1, on the 25th, DOES have the Flash episode.

Whew.

This came from another website...

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Um, what thread was this supposed to be part of? It looks like you meant to reply to one thread, but accidently started a new thread!

Matthew Green

Stunt Coordinator
It was 3 a.m. in the morning when I posted that...I was dog tired but I thought this was news of the future Batman animated series releases...Sorry if this is not news.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
I haven't digested everything you've posted yet (I'm short of time this morning and will re-read it thorougly later). It's just that it sounds offhand with your first sentence like you are replying to someone's question:

I read that and stopped dead, because I was wondering what the question was that you were answering?

todd s

Senior HTF Member
I am not sure about the end of the year release. WB seems to be releasing these every 6 months. So I would assume the next Bats(vol.3) will be released in July.

Christi P

Agent
Anyone know if there are plans to package the Batman movies like 'Mask of the Phantasm' into a boxed set to match the series? I've been holding off on buying the movies separately in case they come out as a set.

Also, is the Adventures of Batman & Robin as good as the regular Batman Animated series?

Christi P.

Jonathan_Clarke

Second Unit
I doubt Mask of the Phantasm, SubZero or Mystery of the Batwoman will be included in the sets. They were all created as direct to video releases (even though Phantasm ran in theaters). I would buy the single disc releases. Maybe not Batwoman. :thumbsdown:

Adventures of Batman and Robin were just as good as the original series. The only change is that Robin is featured in more episodes but he was always handled well. Many of the Rogues Gallery get closure in these episodes. Ofcourse, they're all reset for Gotham Knights.

All the Bruce Timm shows are worth it. I look forward to the day when we get JLU in box sets.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Here's the EXACT Toymania.com link.

And this, I gather, is the thread with the question that the above thread answered. It was posted a day earlier.

As for what this guy who posted the answer - his handle is "OohBloodyMurder" - I can't speak to whether or not what he says will happen on DVD is accurate. Warner hasn't announced these plans, and noone there has told me "under the table". If someone told him about these plans, then bear in mind that plans can change. Otherwise, it's up to you to decide to trust his info or not.

I don't have that option: without knowing who the guy is, or how he got the info, I have to assume it's not reportable on TVShowsOnDVD until and unless the studio verifies it, or at least until I hear it from enough independent sources to feel that its trustworthy. So don't expect me to post news about this anytime soon! :)

IF it's true, it's pretty cool info...

Jim Harvey

Second Unit
I'm finding a fair amount of flaws in that "news."

First off, while the original concept name was "Batman: Gotham Knights," the final official name was "The New Batman Adventures.} That name (TNBA) would be seen on every single related piece of merchandise sold. Volume 4 would not be called "Gotham Knights," but "The New Batman Adventures."

Although...he's not entirely far off on some of his claims.

Ocean Phoenix

Supporting Actor

"The Adventures Of Batman and Robin" is basically just "Batman: The Animated Series" with different opening credits that give the show an official name after the theme music ends (unlike the first credits that have no text in them). If you like the latter, you should almost definitely like the former. Also, as was previously mentioned, Robin is featured more heavily. Some of my favourite episodes of this series came out when it changed its name to "The Adventures Of Batman and Robin", as the show only got better as it went along.

Joshua Lane

Second Unit

Which, honestly, isn't all that hard to do if you understand Warner's release strategy. I think most of this was speculated to happen as soon as the first sets were announced.

Randy*S

Second Unit
Real Name
Randy
Are any non-WB BatMan cartoons being released in the future like from the classic 1966 cartoon series or the 1977 series?
I'm not a fan of the recent Wb shows and animated movies.

Haden

Supporting Actor
So when might we expect season sets of Batman Beyond to begin release? And naturally Justice League as well.

David Williams

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Williams

Once you adjust to the new refined look of the characters and the whack job they did on Baby Doll, a lot of it's really good. Over The Edge definitely belongs in the Top 10 of BTAS eps. Old Wounds, Legends of the Dark Knight and Arleen Sorkin's tour de force Mad Love are some other standouts from the WB run.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member

Jim, I *knew* something was bugging me about that stuff, and you nailed it on the head! I never got to watch much of that incarnation of the Dini Bat-toons, but I knew there was something screwy with the "Gotham Knights" name.

I just double-checked: the IMDB and TVTome both show the "Gotham Knights" name, but The Big Cartoon Database not only properly shows the title "TNBA", it shows a logo of it as well, which neither of the other sites were able to do. Heh, I betcha the question-answerer got his title info from IMDB or something, eh? :)

Was it called "GK" ANYwhere in the world? Could that name have been used elsewhere, just not domestically? Do episode credits/titles exist with that name on it?

Jim Harvey

Second Unit
If it was shown anywhere internationally, it had the original "B:TAS" opening on it. It may have been nicknamed "Batman: Gotham Knights," but the official name is "The New Batman Adventures." Just to back up my claim here, hit the link below:

http://www.batman-superman.com/

You'll find a familiar looking logo.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
So what will become of the Superman-Batman title sequence that was shown when the two shows aired together? Is it going to be lost?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
treed99
Recent bookmarks