Newly released Abyss 2-disc set with different cover art (Phooey on Fox)

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Aaron Cohen, Jul 21, 2003.

1. Aaron Cohen

Aaron Cohen Second Unit

What is Fox's problem? They have had an unbelievable amount of time and several chances to get this film an anamorphic release. But they dropped the ball yet again! Upon seeing the new cover art and thinking that it would not simply be a re-release of the exact same product, I was hoping for the best but was once again pissed off. It has the same extras and transfer from the original 2-disc and same transfer from the subsequent single disc set. At least Fox didn't lie this time though. Anyone else still upset after buying the Abyss 2-disc set a few years back only to find that the wording "Enhanced for widescreen tv's" on the back of the box was a complete lie? I remember calling to complain and being told that it was not a misprint, that the wording referred to the menus only. Please.... Has any other title used that wording in reference to its' menus alone? Fox then re-issued that same 2-disc set....only to take the wording off! WHY CAN THEY NOT RELEASE THIS TITLE WITH AN ANAMORPHIC TRANSFER???

The current one though certainly watchable leaves a lot to be desired. And after spending so much time on great extras and an anamorphically enhanced 3D menu why did they cheap out on the actual film?

BOOOOOO!

2. Jeffrey Gray

Jeffrey Gray Second Unit

Maybe Fox (or even James Cameron) thought the non-anamorphic transfer was up to snuff, and it didn't need an upgrade.

3. Jorossy

Jorossy Stunt Coordinator

Where can I see the new cover art?

4. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

Every single one of the titles is just a re-issue, apparently as Best Buy exclusives. No new work was done on any of them

The new cover art is basically the same except it's a white background

5. TheBat

TheBat Producer

Jacob
    at the recent chat with dvd producer van ling, he stated that he would like to revisit the abyss and add both a enhenced for widescreen and perhaps a commentary with james cameron.. like the T2 extreme edition.

JACOB

6. oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx Lead Actor

that would indeed be awesome

[​IMG]

7. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    Fox made the transfer for the previous extras-packed laserdisc. They put a LOT of time and effort into it (check out the notes on the transfer), but just didn't make it in 16x9.

While enlarging it on a 16x9 set may not be the best, it should look flawless on a 4:3 TV.

There are 16x9 transfers that don't offer the same image quality that The Abyss does. Lots of them.

8. David Shiver

David Shiver Extra

I got suckered today. I saw it thought it might be something different and bought it. I think the only difference is that the new release is not THX certified, as is the old one. Now I have the new one to sell cheap.

9. greg_t

greg_t Screenwriter

10. Rob Tomlin

Rob Tomlin Producer

Forget the anamorphic transfer, give me a D-Theater version!

Since this is Fox, it could happen! [​IMG]

11. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

Pic of the new box is in my Weekly Roundup thread, in the bargains section of HTF.

12. Lars_J

Lars_J Stunt Coordinator

I like the look of the new box, very snazzy...