Newly Purchased Sony KP-46WT500

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Carlos Picart, Jan 28, 2003.

1. Carlos Picart

Hello all, I am new to the forums but have been reading posts for over a month now. I recently purchased the Sony KP-46WT500 Rear Projection unit (which should be delivered tomorrow) and I have a few questions I'd like to ask.

1. Anyone else have this unit? Any probs or suggested tweaks?

2. I've heard the term "break-in period" used in reference to the TV's first hours of usage, are there any recommendations or particular items I should be aware of during this time? and how long of a period is this?

3. Is it important to have the set professionally calibrated right out of the box? I plan on having it done in the May time period, and I wonder if I risk damage or shortened life span with that wait.

4. In regards to HDTV broadcast availability. It is my understanding that DirectTV only offers 3 channels (Showtime, HBO, and HDTV) in the HDTV broadcast format, does this mean I can't watch my sporting events in HDTV or any other shows if I get DirectTV? My cable company apparently only offers 2 channels as well (although they provide a HD receiver)? I live in New York and this seems like horrible availability as far as HDTV, are there any other options (other than over the air, I live in a valley with tons of mountains)

Thanks in advance for responses, and I look forward to contributing to the forum.

Carlos

2. JackS

JackS Supporting Actor

Can't answer any of your questions because I don't have any HD feed except DVD for the time being. Just want to reassure you that I think your going to be very pleased with the picture of this set even using STD cable. As mentioned over and over, the first thing you'll want to do is bring down the brightness, contrast and color. I have the Avia disk and have yet to use it, but I will eventually. Hard to beleive I'll be able to improve anything though, becuase it looks so nice already.

3. Carlos Picart

TV Arrived on time.. needing to do a few adjustments as the picture isn't quite perfect (probably won't be until I get it professionally calibrated) either way. Best Buy delivered ontime, in less than a week after ordering. Seems they provide a pretty good service. Ordered online.

[​IMG]

4. Ron_F

Ron_F Auditioning

Carlos,

I'm also considering purchasing that RPTV for myself. I'm curious-- is there enough room on top of the cabinet to support a center channel speaker?

Thanks,

Ron

5. Carlos Picart

I'd estimate the top is 4 inches wide. Fortunately my center speaker is about 3 inches in depth. It's a small cheap one.. I do want to upgrade to a better speaker at some point. My guess is I can balance a speaker up there as long as it's not too large... I know the Bose center speaker isn't too big so I might go with that (Won't match my Polk Audio components I have tho)

I think this set is a great buy, sony.com has it for 1900 with free delivery and the free stand. Took some minor tweaks and an auto convergence to get a good picture out of the box.. I must say DVD's look quite spectacular, I can't imagine some professional calibration with an HD signal.. I can't wait.

6. David Schurr

David Schurr Auditioning

Hey Ron-

I just got the KP-46WT500 and my speakers are NHTs with the AC-1 as the center channel. The speaker did not fit on the top of the TV that well. The NHT has an leg extender on the back that can be used to angle the speaker downward if it's placed above ear level, with this leg fully extended the speaker was still pointing up because of the short horizontalflat portion of the TV and then the sharp downward slope of the TV case after this.

Side view of TV (hope this comes out)

Top of TV
    __
    Front of TV | Back of TV
    | Downward slope
    |

Anyway I just sent for this as a solution. see link.

http://www.improvementscatalog.com/p...lutions=&code=

7. David Schurr

David Schurr Auditioning

Darn picture didn't work but link does. See if this is to your liking.

8. Ron_F

Ron_F Auditioning

David,

Thanks for the response. I decided to go ahead and buy the Mitsubishi 42" instead. After doing some measurements, the Sony wouldn't fit very well on my stand.[​IMG]

Besides I got a great price on the 42311. $1599![​IMG]

Thanks again,

Ron