Newly found respect for Dad

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Kevin Deacon, Feb 24, 2004.

1. Kevin Deacon

Kevin Deacon Second Unit

My teenage son(15) wanted a new system to listen to his favorite radio station as well as his cd player. He was looking at all these mini systems asking me which is best, as I would cringe each time he asked. He doesn't really understand fine audio. We went to BB, CC, etc... to look at equipment and I just couldn't bring myself to purchase what he wanted in his price range.

Last week I brought him home a vintage mint Marantz 2220B receiver made in the mid 1970's. I told him he would have to tune the radio stations manually and he didn't understand what I meant. I told him this piece was superior to any mini system and many of todays stereo receivers and he didn't understand as he thought it was too old.

After hooking everything up and turning out the lights to see the cool blue glowing lights he says, "COOL". After hearing the bass out of his speakers he said, "COOL". He asked how loud only 20 watts could be and as I cranked the volume to 1/2 he said, "COOL". It has been about two weeks since this purchase and I'm still hearing him say, "Thanks Dad, you're the coolest".

Now I want an old Marantz!!

2. Yogi

Yogi Screenwriter

Way to go dad[​IMG] Its good to hear a son say that.

3. ChrisHeflen

ChrisHeflen Supporting Actor

No fair I want a dad!

4. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

My g/f likes it when i say 'who's your daddy'. Nice job Kevin!

5. Yogi

Yogi Screenwriter

And what reply do you get?

6. Bernie_A

Bernie_A Stunt Coordinator

quote: And what reply do you get?

"COOL"......ha

7. DanaA

DanaA Screenwriter

Hey, cool, that was the first receiver I ever owned. Here's something else that your son will want to know about it. I'm active over at headfi.com and a lot of the folk over there buy really nice amps and the like. Many spend thousands on their headphone set ups. Guess what, the Marantz receivers, including the one you got for your son, are supposed to have wonderful headphone jacks unlike most of the receivers today. So, if your son is into headphones at all, this is but another asset to the receiver and another reason why, 30 years after it came out, it is still sought after.

8. David Michael

OMG i had a 2220b and the aqua blue lights did rock

9. RobWil

RobWil Supporting Actor

I've also recently got into vintage audio. I dug out my old Dual 704 turntable after purchasing a Marantz 2270. I liked the 2270 so much I bought a 2250 and then a 2220. Ebay is crawling with them.
    All I know it that they all sound better than my Integra DTR 7 or the Hafler pre-amp/Audiosource Amp One combo I was using for 2-channel.

10. Bob K

Bob K Stunt Coordinator

Kevin,

Great story!

Don't want to hijack your thread, but if you want to impress a teenager, buy or build a subwoofer! My young teenage (about 15) nephew was looking at my subwoofer and asked if it really went low. I asked him what music he had. He pulled out an Eminem CD (clean version) and I put it on and turned the volume up. The stunned look on his face was priceless -- his mouth was literally hanging open! He had probably never heard the CD on anything better than a boombox.

Tempest Construction Pix: http://www.audiocircle.com/circles/m...view_album.php

11. Dean Wette

Dean Wette Stunt Coordinator

Amazing. The Marantz 2220 was my first peice of audio equipment. I saved for it by working as a summer camp counselor when I was 16.

Since then I've been through more Marantz, Nakamichi, McIntosh, NAIM, and Arcam (the Alpha 10 and AVR200 that I have now).

Of all of them, the NAIM sounded the best.

Dean

12. Kevin Deacon

Kevin Deacon Second Unit

Hey Bob, I recently finished my IB subwoofer and my son and I sat one night and listened to a Tool cd together in the theater room. Come to think of it, he said "COOL" that night too.[​IMG]