What's new

Newguy with a multitude of questions about existing setup. Need any advice! (1 Viewer)

BobbyON

Auditioning
Hi all. I just signed up here. I have an existing system with a ton of options and I'm looking for any advice so that I can do it right the first time. I'm not an audiophile by any means, but I want to have a good quality, dependable system, without spending too much cash. Here's what I have:
-new unfinished basement with open floor plan. Looking to integrate a home theater and family room in the same space.
-JVC dolby-digital receiver, a step down from their flagship model, I forget the part number. Purchased in late '00.
-JVC 3disc CD/DVD player
-Wharfedale Valdus 400 main speakers
-no center yet
-no sub yet
-Klipsch Quintet surround speakers.
-Soon to be buying a JVC 36" Dseries or Toshiba Flat TV
How does this sound for a start??!
I would like to see if there is any speakers that are the same size (or close to) the Quintets, but have more midbass in them for the main speakers. The Wharfs sound pretty good, actually better than the Infinity bookshelfs that I used to have, but they are rather large. Any suggestions on replacing the main speakers, getting a new sub/center? I like the price, small size and mount of the Klipsch's, so I think I'm going to keep them. No need to spend extra $$ there. You can see a round figure what my spending was to begin with, so I'd like to keep it as low as possible. I'm constucting the basement from scratch, so money and space need to be considered. Anything else, I'm open to suggestions!:D
Thanks,
-bobby

RichardH

Supporting Actor
If you like the Quintets as rears, leave them alone. As for the front, you should make sure to match the left-right-center speakers as closely as possible. Having 3 identical speakers is ideal, but if you can get speakers from the same manufacturer (same model line), that's almost as good.

As for a sub, the Sony Sub is quite good at $150. If you can spend some more, check out the Adire Audio Rava, and the Hsu VTF-2.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks